Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers
China’s world-leading drone industry faces a burgeoning problem: its recreational aircraft, in addition to taking breathtaking clifftop selfies, are being used by terrorists to kill people.
Isis revealed its weaponised drone capabilities in a January video. Since then, says Steve Stalinsky of Memri, a Middle East media think-tank, “we have been seeing almost daily Isis drone attacks, sometimes several times a day, against many different targets”, FT reports.
Bombmaking workshops run by Isis have weaponised X-8s and other drones such as the Phantom, made by Shenzhen-based DJI, the world’s largest commercial dronemaker. Some hobby drones now boast formidable capabilities, with 7km ranges and payloads up to 40kg.
The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in the same area, according to Sahan Research, a UK-based think-tank.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Iraq Declares War With Islamic State Is Over Iraq's announcement comes two days after the Russian military declared it had accomplished its mission of defeating IS in neighbouring Syria.
- GOP Chairman Warns of ISIS's ‘Cyber Caliphate’ “It is good that we by and large have taken away the physical caliphate,” Johnson, the chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said during remarks at a hearing on...
- Syria Fully Liberated from ISIS Terrorists: Russian MoD “Therefore, as of today, there’s no territory controlled by ISIS in Syria,” he added. Gerasimov made the announcement during an annual briefing for foreign military attachés.
Kocharian Trial Suspended, Sent to Constitutional Court
Maduro Proposes Early National Assembly Vote
PM Hosts Harvard Kennedy School Students
There Are no Disagreements between Armenia and Artsakh: Artsakh President Spokesperson
President of Armenia Congratulates Vladimir Zelensky on Assuming Office of President of Ukraine
Putin Has no Intention to Congratulate Zelensky
We Are Ready to Confront the Enemy: Iranian Commander
Ukraine's President Calls Snap Parliamentary Elections
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Volodymyr Zelensky on Assuming the Office of President of Ukraine
Magnifier: Public Discrepancies and Fight Against Them
INSIGHT From Yerevan: 10th Anniversary of the Eastern Partnership
Swedish Prosecutor Requests Assange's Detention Over Rape Allegation
Rocket Attack Hits Near US Embassy in Baghdad
Heavy Rain And Flooding Hit Parts of the Arabian Peninsula
Russian Air Strikes Kill 10 Civilians in Northwest Syria
Ceasefire in Donbass Zelensky's First Task
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan’s Statement on Judiciary System
32 People Killed in Tajikistan Prison Deadly Riot
Trump Threatens Iran's "End" If It Seeks Fight With the US
Armenian PM Holds Phone Conversation With Catholicos Aram I
Who is Zahran Hashim, Alleged Mastermind of One of the Sri Lanka Attacks?
It Is a Crime that Turkey Doesn't Want to Return Mount Ararat to Armenians: Zhirinovsky
French MP on Notre Dame de Paris Fire: How Can One Blame God For Fire? (Exclusive)
Recognition Path of the Armenian Genocide Through 2018-2019
Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt
This Year Marks the 150th Birthday of Renowned Armenian Composer Komitas
INSIGHT From Yerevan: Turkey’s Genocide Policy
INSIGHT FROM YEREVAN: The Legal Aspects of the Armenian Genocide
Erdogan Follows the Footsteps of His Criminal Ancestors
Anna Kazanjian Longobardo, Armenian, Designer of the American Missile Navigation System
Wind: 6 km/h