Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State
US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis urged Turkey to remain focused on fighting Islamic State militants in Syria, a Pentagon statement on Thursday said, Reuters reports.
Ankara, keen to prevent Syria’s Kurds from gaining autonomy and fuelling Kurdish insurgents on its soil, last month launched a military incursion into the Afrin region of Syria to sweep the Kurdish YPG militia from its southern border zone.
Mattis made the remark during a meeting with his Turkish counterpart Nurettin Canikli on Wednesday on the sidelines of a NATO meeting.
Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
- Iraq Declares War With Islamic State Is Over Iraq's announcement comes two days after the Russian military declared it had accomplished its mission of defeating IS in neighbouring Syria.
- Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader He is also known by the nom de guerre Haji Abdullah, and in some circles as Abdullah Qardash – although Iraqi officials suggest the latter was a separate Isis figure who died two years ago.
- Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries The issue of the handling of Daesh/ISIS members and their families detained in Syria -- including foreign members of the terror group -- has been controversial, with Turkey arguing foreign-born terrorists...
- US Knows 'Almost Nothing' about New ISIS Leader The announcement of the new leader came in an audio message released last week by a new ISIS spokesperson, after Abu Hassan al-Muhajir, the spokesperson and right-hand man to Baghdadi, was also killed,...
- Erdogan Says Turkey has Captured Baghdadi's Wife A senior Turkish official said earlier this week that Turkey had captured Baghdadi’s sister, her husband and daughter.
- Newsweek Reveals Name of Likely Successor to Dead Islamic State Group’s Leader Abdullah Qardash, sometimes spelled Kardesh and also known as Hajji Abdullah al-Afari, was said to have been nominated by Baghdadi in August to run the group's "Muslim affairs" in a widely-circulated statement...
- Russia, Turkey, Iran Working to Agree on Date for Syria Summit Russian Presidential Envoy for the Middle East and Africa and Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov earlier told TASS that a trilateral Russian-Iranian-Turkish summit could be held in Tehran in early...
- Turkey will Hit Syrian Government Forces Anywhere if Troops Hurt: Erdogan Speaking in Ankara, Erdogan said Turkey is determined to push Syrian government forces beyond Turkish observation posts in the northwestern Idlib region by the end of February. “We will do this by any...
- The Syrian Army Took Control Of Saraqeb The Syrian army has taken control of a strategic northwestern crossroads town, its latest gain in a weeks-long offensive against the country's last major rebel bastion,
- Joint Turkish-Russian Patrol In Northern Syria Was Canceled Joint Turkish-Russian patrol scheduled for today in northern Syria’s Ayn al-Arab was canceled after Syrian regime attacks targeted Turkish soldiers in Idlib
- Number of Turkish Soldiers Killed In Idlib Increased The number of Turkish soldiers killed as a result of shelling in Idlib increased to six, NTV reported referring to the Ministry of National Defense of Turkey.
Kardashian Family Had Dinner at Armenian Carousel Restaurant
Armenia is World’s Third Most Militarized County, Report Shows
Robert Kocharyan Congratulates on Artsakh Revival Day
PM Pashinyan Offers Condolences on Passing of Yervand Manaryan
Artsakh MFA Issues Statement on Revival Day
Weather Forecast in Armenia: The Air Temperature will Gradually Go Up
Trump Named Richard Grenell to Be the Next Acting Director of US National Intelligence
Venezuela's Maduro Announced an Emergency in the National Oil Industry
Armenian Athletes to Earn 20,000,000 Drams for Olympic Gold
Death Toll in China's Coronavirus Climbs to 2,118
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
President of Artsakh Received Attorney-General of Armenia Arthur Davtyan.
Megxit will Happen on March 31
Germany Shooting: 9 Killed and Suspect Found Dead in Hanau
Russia, Turkey, Iran Working to Agree on Date for Syria Summit
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
‘That Day Solidified Our Unity’: Congratulatory Message of President Armen Sarkissian on the Occasion of Artsakh’s Revival Day
"Yarkhushta is One of the Most Significant Dances of our National Identity" – Armenia Due to Host Jarkhushta Festival on June 13
It was a Struggle Aimed at the Restoration of Historical Justice, the Protection of Human Rights and Freedoms: Bako Sahakyan
Feast of St. Vartan the Captain and Companions
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Wind: 4 km/h