Erdogan Faces Test in Critical Elections: DW
Stakes are high in Turkey, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expected to emerge victorious in parliamentary and presidential elections. But the opposition could have a strong showing, amid a host of economic problems, DW reports.
Voting began at 8 a.m. local time (0500 UTC).
Sunday's elections are set to pose the biggest challenge to Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Islamist-rooted AK Party since they came to power more than a decade and a half ago. It should also test the strength of the opposition, which has rallied its supporters in great numbers in the final days of the campaign.
President Erdogan, who has not lost an election in 16 years, had moved the elections forward from November 2019 to this Sunday.
The election marks a new era enhanced powers under the new constitution for the office of the presidency for whoever is elected.
Current president Erdogan is seen as the frontrunner and is expected to win. Even if he is not able to gather enough votes to seal a victory this Sunday, he is still likely to come out on top in a second round, on July 8.
- Erdogan Calls Armenian Lobby ''Evil Power'', against which Turkey Will Continue Its Fight On Monday Erdogan announced a new four-day curfew effective Saturday in a televised speech following a cabinet meeting.
- Man Who Tries to Set Fire to Armenian Church in Istanbul says Armenians "Brought" COVID-19 Representatives of the Armenian patriarchy reported the incident, after which police and the provincial administration made statements.
- Gowns Ordered from Turkey Fail to Meet British Safety Standards The prime minister's spokesperson said the NHS was speaking to the supplier about getting replacement gowns.
- Erdogan Sends Letter to Trump Erdogan's letter arrived Tuesday along with medical equipment that Turkey sent to the US to help contain the outbreak of COVID-19. The administration of the Turkish president published a letter on Wednesday.
- Erdogan Rejects Minister's Resignation over Coronavirus Curfew: Al-Jazeera Turkey announced the weekend lockdown late on Friday, but in the brief time before it went into effect, many people rushed out to buy food and drink in the country's commercial hub Istanbul, a city of...
Powerful Thunderstorm on the Slopes of Our Biblical Mount Ararat
The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky
''We and Our Mountains'' Monument - Symbol of the Kinship between Artsakh Soil and the Nation
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenian PM Sends Congratulatory Messages on Eid al-Fitr
Arayik Haroutyunyan Takes First Decision as Karabakh President
President Sarkissian Spoke About the Lanzarote Convention
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
Armenia Records 6661 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Second Palm Sunday
The Activity on the Protection of the Interests of the People of Artsakh in Germany is Transparent and Legal and will be Continued: Artsakh MFA
PM Gets Acquainted with Agricultural Activities and Intensive Orchards Establishment Programs in Ararat Marz
5-Day Weather Forecast
Starting from the First of September, the Higher Education will be Free in Artsakh
Adversary Attempts Subversive Intrusion, Thrown Back with Casualties: Artsakh Defense Army
US Authorities Mull Option to Conduct First Nuclear Test Since 1992 - Washington Post
Armenia Records 6302 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Pakistan Plane Crash Leaves 97 Dead, Two Survivors
Trump Says He Won’t Close the Country if Second Wave of Coronavirus Hits
Two More COVID-19 Patients Recover in Artsakh
Ara Darzi, Outstanding Surgeon, the First Armenian in the House of Lords
Scarecrow Society: Kim Kardashian Responded to Turkish User's Comment on Armenian Genocide
These're My Ancestors…That Were Starved, Raped and Slaughtered: Kim Kardashian about Armenian Genocide
The "Koltso" operation of deportation of Armenian villages of Artsakh
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
Armenian Values and Upbringing Always Helped Me: Paul Ignatius, Former US Navy Minister
"I'm Armenian, but I've Never Been in My Homeland'': Anna Der-Vartanian - First Female Master Chief Petty Officer in U.S. Navy
Trump Nominates Patrick Hovakimian as National Intelligence General Counsel
Gandzasar - Artsakh Monastery which Houses the Relics of Saint John the Baptist and Gregory the Illuminator
Armenians Caused the Coronavirus to Plague Us: Garo Paylan Raised the Issue of Attack on Armenian Church in Turkey
Wind: 15 km/h