EU Official Urges Tougher Checks on Citizenship Bids
The European Union's justice commissioner criticized some member countries' practice of awarding "golden passports" to rich people from outside the bloc, urging them on Tuesday to do more to ensure that citizenship isn't given to criminals, abcNEWS reports.
Brussels argues that citizenship should be awarded only in cases where there is a genuine link to the country concerned, but decisions are a matter for individual countries. Malta and Cyprus are among those that have drawn criticism.
Justice Commissioner Vera Jourova was quoted as telling German daily Die Welt that awarding citizenship can be a "serious security risk" because it confers rights including free movement inside the 28-nation EU.
She said that "some countries must do more so that citizenship is not awarded to criminals who want to endanger Europe's security or engage in money-laundering." She didn't name any culprits.
Jourova said the EU's executive Commission will examine each member country's practices in granting citizenship to people from outside the bloc. She said she has brought forward a report on the issue from December to this fall.
The EU will then issue new, tougher guidelines calling for member countries to guarantee that candidates for citizenship won't damage the bloc, she added.
- Theresa May Has Won A Vote Of Confidence Prime Minister Theresa May has won a vote of confidence in her leadership of the Conservative Party by 200 to 117, BBC reports.
- Federica Mogherini's Declaration on Human Rights Day On this day, 70 years ago, the Member States of the United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Since then the December 10 is marked as Human Rights Day.
- Britain can Withdraw its Brexit Notice Unilaterally: EU Court of Justice The European Court of Justice's advocate general said on Tuesday Britain has the right to withdraw its Brexit notice from the European Union unilaterally.
- Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration are Endorsed by the EU. Donald Tusk Heads of 27 member states of the European Union has endorsed the draft Brexit Deal and Political declaration during the ongoing Special Summit of the EU today.
- Madrid and London Managed to Reach Political Agreement on Gibraltar Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said Madrid and London managed to reach a political agreement on Gibraltar.
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
The Criminal Case Against Azerbaijani Blogger Was Terminated
Report: 73% of Germans Support the Construction of the Nord Stream - 2
Bako Sahakyan expresses Gratitude to Jean-Michel Ekherian for Implementing Healthcare Projects in Artsakh
Minister Nikol Pashinyan Will Travel to Moscow on January 25
Mevlut Chavushoghlu: With Karabakh Conflict Unresolved, Normalization of Ties with Armenia Impossible
Macron Vows to Continue Reforms Despite Protests
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Erdogan: Turkey won’t Let Syria Safe Zone be Turned into "Swamp"
Artsakh Republic Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Received the ARFD "Hai Dat" Delegation
"If You are Ready to Make Your Move, Come to Armenia, Get Rich and Enrich" – Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Swiss Businessmen in Zurich
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to Swedish PM
Nikol Pashinyan Meets Businessmen in Zurich to Discuss Investment Projects for Armenia
PACE Elects its Vice-Presidents
President of Belarus: Armenia Remains a Reliable Partner for Belarus
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
UK Ratifies EU-Armenia Agreement
"I Feel Like I'm an Honorary Armenian": Serena Williams Starts Learning Armenian
Italian Deputy PM Calls on EU to Sanction France
Israeli Military Strikes Iranian Targets in Syria
Congratulatory Address by Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on New Year and Christmas Holidays (VIDEO)
Erdogan Officially Declared 2019 as the Year of Armenian Portasar
His Holiness Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians Sends a Message on the Occasion of the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Artsakh Republic President Addressed Congratulatory Message on the Occasion of New Year and Christmas Holidays
Pompeo: US Withdrawal from Syria doesn't Change Mission to Destroy ISIS and Stop Iran's Influence in the Mideast
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Minister of State of the United Arab Emirates Sultan Al Jaber
Eve of Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Candlelight (Lucernarium) Divine Liturgy
'For the Sake of Armenia': Saghatelyan, Bekaryan, Hakobyan and Farmanyan Have Established a Media Company
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Discussed Issues on the Activities of The HALO Trust in Humanitarian Demining
Father Ghevond Mayilyan: Christ Left the Heavens and Descended into the Earth for Us, Bringing Salvation and Life