EU Official Urges Tougher Checks on Citizenship Bids
The European Union's justice commissioner criticized some member countries' practice of awarding "golden passports" to rich people from outside the bloc, urging them on Tuesday to do more to ensure that citizenship isn't given to criminals, abcNEWS reports.
Brussels argues that citizenship should be awarded only in cases where there is a genuine link to the country concerned, but decisions are a matter for individual countries. Malta and Cyprus are among those that have drawn criticism.
Justice Commissioner Vera Jourova was quoted as telling German daily Die Welt that awarding citizenship can be a "serious security risk" because it confers rights including free movement inside the 28-nation EU.
She said that "some countries must do more so that citizenship is not awarded to criminals who want to endanger Europe's security or engage in money-laundering." She didn't name any culprits.
Jourova said the EU's executive Commission will examine each member country's practices in granting citizenship to people from outside the bloc. She said she has brought forward a report on the issue from December to this fall.
The EU will then issue new, tougher guidelines calling for member countries to guarantee that candidates for citizenship won't damage the bloc, she added.
- ''Hundreds'' Of Chinese, Russia Agents ''Operating'' In Brussels: Report Diplomats and military officials were advised to avoid certain parts of Brussels' European quarter, including a popular steakhouse and a cafe near the European Commission's main building, the report said....
- France Denounced "Unacceptable" Meeting between Italy's Deputy Prime Minister and 'Yellow Vest" Protesters France denounced an "unacceptable" meeting between Italy's populist deputy prime minister Luigi Di Maio and one of the leaders of France's anti-government ''yellow vest" protesters this week.
- Italy's Deputy Prime Minister Met with "Yellow Vest" Protests Leader in Paris Italy's deputy prime minister, Luigi Di Maio of the anti-establishemnt Five Star Movement, on 5 February in Paris met with "yellow vest" protests leader, Christophe Chalencon, and aslo with European Parliament...
- European Parliament Recognised Juan Guaido as De Facto Head of Venezuela The European Parliament recognised Venezuela’s self-declared interim president Juan Guaido as de facto head of state today on Thursday
- Theresa May Has Won A Vote Of Confidence Prime Minister Theresa May has won a vote of confidence in her leadership of the Conservative Party by 200 to 117, BBC reports.
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Nikol Pashinyan Extends Condolences over Death of American-Armenian Philanthropist Louise Manoogian Simone
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met with Representatives of the Armenian Community of South Ossetia
Trump Signs Directive to Create a Military Space Force
The Artsakh Revival Day is One of the Most Significant Victories of the Armenians all Over the World: Bako Sahakyan
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Masis Mayilian was Recieved by the President of South Ossetia
Italy Puts Former PM’s Family Under House Arrest
Cooperation Agreement Signed Between the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh and the Republic of South Ossetia
Chanel Designer Karl Lagerfeld Dead Aged 85
Bako Sahakyan Attended the Conference Devoted to the 150th Anniversary of Hovhannes Toumanyan
"You'll Lose Everything." President Trump Warns Venezuelan Military to Abandon Nicolas Maduro
16 US states Sue over Trump Border Wall Emergency Declaration
Catholicos of Great House of Cilicia Aram I Arrives in Armenia
Karen Sargsyan Relieved from Position of Artsakh President’s Representative at Large
Jean-Claude Juncker: Brexit Delay Beyond EU Election is Possible
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
EU's Juncker Expects Trump to Refrain from Imposing Higher Tariffs on Cars
Azerbaijani Man Burnt the Armenian Flag in the Church Yard (video)
Erdogan to Putin: Is the Car Armored? (video)
Elderly Man in Turkey Sentenced to Read Erdogan’s Biography for Insulting Him
"I Don't Speak Armenian, but I'm Armenian": Alain Prost - Living Legend of Formula One
"I'm Armenian, but I've Never Been in my Homeland'': Anna Der-Vartanian - First Female Master Chief Petty Officer in U.S. Navy
Serj Tankian and His Wife Provided Assistance to over 200 Needy Families in Armenia
I'm Pleasantly Surprised that Armenians Haven't Destroyed Azerbaijani and Jewish Cemeteries: Lapshin Visited Armenian Yeghegis
ANCA Suggests to Rename the Washington Street in Front of the Turkish Ambassador's Residence after Henry Morgenthau
Lapshin Has Applied to Armenian Defense Ministry Asking to Allow Him Visit the Border Zone Shelled by Azerbaijan
Rhetoric around Preparing Armenian and Azerbaijani Societies for Peace Needs Transparency to Make Way for "Informed Judgements"
Turkey Recalled that Venezuela Recognized the Armenian Genocide in 2005
Nikol Pashinyan Discusses Cooperation Prospects with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, JICA and eBay Executives in Davos
Wind: 5 km/h