EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases
EU leaders will agree at a summit this week on joint purchases of gas, liquefied natural gas and hydrogen until next winter, their draft statement says.
In the run-up to next winter, Member States and the European Commission will urgently work together to jointly purchase gas, LNG and hydrogen, EU leaders said after the March 24-25 summit, according to a draft summit statement cited by Reuters.
Brussels said it will help countries start joint gas purchases this year and is expected to propose rules this week requiring countries to fill gas storage facilities to 90% annually before winter. Storage facilities in the EU are currently 26% occupied.
The draft statement says countries have agreed to coordinate efforts to fill storage facilities and begin doing so as soon as possible.
The leaders will also consider new measures to protect consumers from skyrocketing energy prices and discuss how to potentially optimize the functioning of energy markets. They will ask the EC to take necessary initiatives to do so, the draft statement says.
European gas prices had already risen in the months before the Ukrainian crisis hit, prompting governments to spend billions in tax breaks and subsidies to shield citizens from the cost.
However, achieving a joint EU response has proved difficult. EU countries have a lot of responsibility for their national energy policies and disagree about whether EU-wide action is needed to keep prices down.
Spain, Belgium, Portugal, Italy and Greece are among those calling for intervention in European energy markets to cap prices or decouple electricity prices from soaring gas prices.
Other states, including Germany, the Netherlands and Denmark, oppose market intervention and warn of disruptions to energy markets that could undermine investment in clean energy.
- Russia, Iran are negotiating creation of common steblecoin on gold The Iranian government intends to secure this token with gold, that is, it will be a kind of steblecoin. The token is expected to work in a special economic zone in Astrakhan, which will receive cargo...
- G7 coalition has agreed to set fixed price for Russian oil The initial price itself has not been set, but should be in coming weeks, multiple sources said. Coalition partners agreed to regularly review the fixed price and revise it as needed, the source said,...
- Details of 8th package of EU sanctions against Russia became known Thus, Brussels will establish a legal basis for determining the price ceiling for Russian oil for its transportation by sea from December and oil products - from February 2023.
- White House Accuses Opec+ of Aligning with Russia The Opec+ group said it would reduce production targets by 2mn barrels a day, equivalent to 2 per cent of global supply, following its first in-person meeting in two years in Vienna. The actual cut in...
- UNCTAD Warns of Policy-Induced Global Recession According to the report, rapid interest rate increases and fiscal tightening in advanced economies combined with the cascading crises resulting from the COVID pandemic and the war in Ukraine have already...
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
Prospects for peace in Ukraine diminishing, says UN chief
Provision of humanitarian and rescue aid to the countries affected by the earthquake is under discussion: MFA Armenia
Prime Minister Pashinyan holds telephone conversation with Emmanuel Macron
The meeting of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the Chairman of the Germany-South Caucasus Friendship Group
President of the Artsakh Republic convened a working consultation with the leadership of the law enforcement agencies
Turkey-Syria quake: Armenian Foreign Ministry activates emergency hotline for citizens in distress, information requests
Now, when a hybrid war is going on, everyone should become a soldier of the homeland: Ruben Vardanyan to the Artsakh students studying in Armenia
Snow with fog is predicted: 5-day weather forecast in Armenia
Azerbaijan once again cuts gas supply to Artsakh
Another quake jolts Turkey, also felt in Armenia
Nikol Pashinyan sends congratulatory message to the Prime Minister of New Zealand
Our response to the challenges should be asymmetrical, it should be expressed by the development and accomplishment of state institutions: Pashinyan
EU sends rescue teams to Turkey after deadly earthquake
Moscow, Tehran Advance Plans for Iranian-Designed Drone Facility in Russia. WSJ
Speaker of Parliament Alen Simonyan offers condolences to people of quake-hit Syria
Pashinyan offers condolences and support to Turkey and Syria
Vahagn Khachaturyan sent a congratulatory message to the Governor-General of New Zealand
Two Armenians die in Syria earthquake – MFA
Azeri 'eco-activists' blocking Artsakh reveal their true intentions with song addressed to Armenians: Tatoyan Foundation
Explosion occurs in natural gas pipeline of Turkey’s Hatay Province, after earthquake
"Michelangelo in the Ballet": Armenian Agrippina Vaganova, the Founder of the Theory of Russian Ballet
The comment of the Press Secretary of the MFA of Armenia on the psychological terror and violation of rights of Armenian children by Azerbaijan
Europe faces unprecedented crisis due to Ukraine conflict, Macron says
Azeri 'eco-activists' couldn't reach Lachin corridor without authorities' permission: Tatoyan Foundation
Armenian Caucus leaders urge Biden Administration to consider emergency airlift, Azerbaijan sanctions to end Artsakh blockade
Pentagon commits another $2.5 billion in aid to Ukraine
Ruben Vardanyan offers condolences to families of soldiers killed in barracks fire
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
We highly appreciate the appeal of the European Parliament to the international community: Artsakh Foreign Ministry
In Stepanakert electricity outages will be carried out twice a day
Wind: 1.03 km/h