EU Vows to Keep Backing UNRWA after Trump Scraps US Financial Aid
The 28-nation European Union, the biggest collective contributor to UNWRA, said on Saturday it will continue its support after the Trump administration's decision to cut its funding to the UN's Palestinian refugee agency, middleeasteye.net reports.
This implied the EU may increase funding to the agency if deemed necessary, according to Israeli newspaper Haaretz. Deutsche Welle said Germany plans to significantly increase its funding for UNRWA, citing a letter from Foreign Minister Heiko Maas to other EU foreign ministers.
The EU said in a statement it will discuss with its international partners "how to ensure sustainable, continued and effective assistance to the Palestinians, including through UNRWA," in the run-up to the UN General Assembly later this month.
The statement stressed the importance of continued international support for UNWRA, which runs schools for hundreds of Palestinian children across the Palestinian territories, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria.
"The EU will continue to engage with the US and its other regional and international partners to work towards that common goal."
It also urged the US to reconsider the decision to halt funding for the United Nations relief and works agency for Palestinian refugees.
- Israel Strikes 100 Targets in Gaza in Response to Rockets Fired at Tel Aviv Shortly thereafter, alarms sounded again in Israel's south. The Israeli army said two rockets were launched from Gaza, one of them intercepted by Iron Dome. No injuries or damages were reported.
- Australia Recognises West Jerusalem as Israeli Capital The status of Jerusalem is one of the most contested issues between Israel and the Palestinians.
- UN Rejects US-Drafted Resolution to Condemn Hamas The resolution required two-thirds support and while Assembly resolutions are non-binding, they can carry political weight.
- Northern Shield: Israel Launches Operation on Lebanon Border The Israel Defense Force announced the discovery of the tunnels on Tuesday morning, and has started destroying them, dubbing the operation Northern Shield.
- Netanyahu Rushes Back to Israel after Burst of Gaza Violence Netanyahu's office said he cut short a visit to Paris because of the flare-up and he was set to arrive back in Israel on Monday morning.
Serj Tankian: Gallipoli Pilgrimage Should Be Suspended
Armenia to Chair Upcoming UN Commission on the Status of Women Sessions
Accessories to Wear to Look Trendy: Style Talk With Gog Moon
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Informal Meeting with Georgian Prime Minister Mamuka Bakhtadze in Yenokavan
PM Briefed on Yenokavan Development Strategy
Maduro Accused the USA and Guaido in Planning to Kill Him
Rafi Eitan: Israeli Spy Who Led Operation to Capture Holocaust Architect Adolf Eichmann Dies Aged 92
Anna Hakobyan's Official Website Ready to Launch on March 26
Australian-Armenian Berejiklian Won the New South Wales Elections
Weather Forecast in Armenia for March 24-28
Soldiers Deployed to Prevent Paris 'Yellow Vest' Rioting
Brexit: May Urged to Quit
Passengers Airlifted From Crippled Cruise Ship in Storm off Norway
Sunday of Steward
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
The New Building of Hamazgayin Theater Inaugurated: PM Personally Collected Waste Around the Building Before the Groundbreaking Ceremony (photos)
The Foreign Ministry of Artsakh Welcomes the Creation of Parliamentary Friendship Group in Canada with Artsakh
Trump-Russia: Robert Mueller Delivers Report
Nikol Pashinyan Extends Condolences to Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi
Some Roads in Armenia are Difficult to Pass
Ara Darzi, Outstanding Surgeon, the First Armenian in the House of Lords
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Armenian Anita Caracotchian: The First Female Oceanographer in the World
Macron Calls for Schengen Reform
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
Armenian Ambassador Expressed Indignation over the Participation of the Russian MPs in the Anti-Armenian Rally in Baku
NKR Defense Army: During the Past Week Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime about 150 Times
President of Artsakh, NSS Director of Armenia Visit Southern Section of Artsakh-Azerbaijan Borderline
Adam, Eve, Noah’s Ark and Tigran the Great at Carnival in Brazil
"We Need a Strictly Working Mechanism of Scientific Potential, Private Investment and Public Administration to Develop the Military Industrial Complex": Pashinyan
Wind: 8 km/h