U.S. Forces Conduct Live-Fire Exercise in Southern Syria in a Warning to Russia
U.S. Marines conducted a live-fire aerial assault exercise in southern Syria on Friday designed to warn Russian and other military forces to stay away from an American base there, The Washington Post reports.
The exercise, involving a company-size unit, came amid rising U.S.-Russia tensions across the Syrian battlespace. The Trump administration has warned both Russia and the Syrian government against a planned offensive in Idlib province in northwest Syria, the largest remaining pocket of rebel fighters who have tried, and failed, over the past seven years to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
In support of the Idlib operation, Russia has deployed a significant naval presence in the eastern Mediterranean, with weaponry capable of reaching across Syria.
The Marine exercise took place near the U.S. garrison at Tanf, along the Syrian-Iraqi border near Jordan, around which the Americans have long declared a 35-mile deconfliction zone off-limits to others. It followed a Russian notification, and U.S. rejection, of a plan to enter the zone to pursue "terrorists."
- Next Group of Armenian Specialists Leaves for Syria Next group from Armenia consisting of humanitarian de-miners, doctors and specialists ensuring their security has arrived in Aleppo, Syria on June 4.
- Syrian Troops Continue Push Into Jihadist Stronghold of Idlib Syrian troops captured the town of Qalaat al-Madiq on Thursday as they continued a push into a remaining rebel-held enclave located in Idlib province. The UN Security Council will hold a closed-door meeting...
- Why Iran Supports Turkey, Or the Regional Puzzle in Syria Interestingly, Iran joined this operation: this is the first Turkish-Iranian joint operation against the PKK. Turkey announced a joint operation with Iran against the PKK on the eve of the general elections...
- Withdrawal Of US Forces In Syria May Begin In "Weeks" Gen. Joseph Votel, the head of U.S. Central Command, temporarily moved additional security and logistics forces into Syria to prepare for the eventual withdrawal of the more than 2,000 American troops...
- Armenian Specialists Have Arrived in Syria The group consists of 83 members, among them de-mining specialists and doctors.
San Francisco Becomes First US City to Ban e-Cigarettes
Trump Threatens 'Obliteration,' Iran Calls White House 'Mentally Retarded'
RA-EU Partnership Road-Map Hardly Overlaps EEU Regulations
Russia to Pay Fee to Council of Europe after Powers Are Restored
Venezuela's Former Spy Chief Says Maduro Could Yet Fall
Trump: I Don't Need Congressional Approval to Strike Iran
Trump Muses Privately About Ending Postwar Japan Defense Pact
OSCE Mission Monitoring: Azerbaijani Side Didn't Lead the OSCE Mission to its Front-Line Positions
Boris Johnson Under Pressure in UK Prime Minister Race
Saudi Minister: 'Iran’s Policies Are Not Acceptable And Have to Change'
China, U.S. Trade Officials Talk Ahead of Trump-Xi Meeting
N Korea Not Ready to Denuclearize
PM Attends Opening Ceremony of Francophonie Park in Town of Masis
Iran’s Rouhani: US Sanctions on Khamenei Futile As He Has ‘No Foreign Assets’
Trump Plans to Meet With Xi, Putin and Erdogan This Week at G-20
Pilot Killed As Two Eurofighter Jets Collide in Midair
Comment by MFA Press Secretary Anna Naghdalyan on the Latest Statement of the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Attended Photo Exhibition in Geneva Dedicated to Armenia’s Velvet Revolution
President Sarkissian Proposes to Hold 6th STARMUS Global Festival of Science Communication And Art in Armenia
Georgia Authorities Release Detained Armenian National
"Any Armenian Living Outside the Homeland Should Realize That Their Ultimate Goal is to Return to Armenia": Nikol Pashinyan (PHOTOS)
Our Plans Will Target Reinforcement of Civil Society And Its Role: Naira Karapetyan, Director of ''European Integration'' NGO
Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea
Kosovo's Threats to Join Albania Raise Opportunities For Armenia and Artsakh
Trump’s New Immigration Plan’s Threats to Armenia
Karabakh: "Coercion to Peace" Gaining Ground Again
Artworks on Scarves: Exclusive Interview with “Artuyt” Founder Arevik Arakelyan
Artsakh Should Be Fully Involved in the Humanitarian Events: Expert
There is No Religion For Food, All Are Human Beings
Wind: 7 km/h