Pentagon to Scrutinize Recruits with Green Cards and Other Foreign Ties
The Pentagon, citing terrorism and espionage fears, is developing a plan to scrutinize prospective recruits with foreign ties, including some U.S. citizens, after a related effort targeting thousands of green-card holders was blocked by a federal judge last year, The Washington Post reports.
The new policy, still in development, will be distributed to the military services by no later than Feb. 15, according to two Defense Department officials and several department memos obtained by The Washington Post. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the issue’s sensitivity.
The new vetting is likely to screen thousands of recruits per year who have what the Pentagon considers "foreign nexus" risks, including some Americans who marry a foreign spouse or who have family members with dual citizenship, the memos said. Anyone identified for the screening would not be allowed to attend recruit training until they are cleared, a process that could take days for some but drag on much longer for others.
- Trump Vetoes Bill to End US Involvement in Yemen War Congress had earlier voted to invoke the War Powers Resolution to try and stop US involvement in a foreign conflict.
- The Deep Chill in U.S.-Russian Relations is Stirring Concern The deep chill in U.S.-Russian relations is stirring concern in some quarters that Washington and Moscow are in danger of stumbling into an armed confrontation that, by mistake or miscalculation, could...
- Congresswoman Urges Kim Kardashian to Press Trump to Recognize Armenian Genocide Congresswoman Jackie Spier, who has Armenian roots, has called on Armenian Americans to tweet to Kim Kardashian to press President Trump to properly condemn and commemorate the Armenian Genocide.
- Erdogan: Russian S-400S Delivery May Be Brought Forward President Tayyip Erdogan said the delivery of Russian S-400 missile defence systems may be brought forward from July, the Sabah newspaper reported on Wednesday, sticking to a purchase which has put Turkey...
- Saudi Arabia Threatens to Ditch Dollar Oil Trades The chances of the U.S. bill known as NOPEC coming into force are slim and Saudi Arabia would be unlikely to follow through, but the fact Riyadh is considering such a drastic step is a sign of the kingdom’s...
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
PM Nikol Pashinyan Extends Condolences to President of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Attends Pontifical Easter Liturgy
Divine Liturgy of Easter Sunday in the Stepanakert Cathedral of Intercession
The Armenian Students’ Association of Azuza Pacific University Holds Armenian Genocide Vigil
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Feast of the Glorious Resurrection of Jesus Christ
Sudan Probes al-Bashir After "Large Sums of Cash Found at Home"
Fighting Ramps up in Ukraine's Donbass Ahead of Presidential Elections
France's Prime Minister to Attend Armenian Genocide Commemoration Ceremony
Four Turkish Soldiers Killed in Clashes With PKK
The Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border about 250 Times
Peruvian Ex-President Alan Garcia Wrote in an Alleged Suicide Note
Garo Paylan Calls on Turkish Authorities to Stop Keeping People as Hostage
Russia Rejects Mueller Report That Documents Its Interference
US President Trump Recognizes Libyan Haftar’s Role in Fighting Terrorism: White House
Venezuela's Guaido Calls for "Largest March in Country's History"
Montebello Armenian Genocide Monument Freeway Sign Downed
Today Is Holy Saturday, Eve of Feast of the Glorious Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ or the Easter Feast, Candlelight Divine Liturgy
From April 29, Tourists Visiting Artsakh will be Granted Free Entry Visa
My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE)
Sarkis Torossian, Armenian Hero of Gallipoli Campaign
Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled?
Sir Khachik Paul Chater, Father of Hong Kong
More Than 70 American Lawmakers Seek US Official Recognition of Armenian Genocide with New Resolution
Assyrian New Year Stands For Nature Revival And Fertility: Interview With Arsen Mikhailov (EXCLUSIVE)
In Case of Attempts by Azerbaijan to Resolve the Conflict by Force, Artsakh has Every Right to Protect its Freedom and Independence. Artsakh's MFA
It is Not Artsakh Issue, It is All-Armenian Issue: Artsakh Republic National Assembly MP Vardges Baghryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan and the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group
Catholicos of All Armenians Asks For Patriarch Kirill's Mediation For Release of Armenian From Azerbaijani Jail
Wind: 11 km/h