Erdogan Loses Hold over Turkish Capital
Turkey’s Tayyip Erdogan suffered a severe setback as his ruling AK Party lost control of the capital Ankara for the first time in a local election and he appeared to concede defeat in the country’s largest city, Istanbul, Reuters reports.
Erdogan, who has dominated Turkish politics since coming to power 16 years ago and ruled his country with an ever tighter grip, campaigned relentlessly for two months ahead of Sunday’s vote, which he described as a “matter of survival” for Turkey.
But the president’s daily rallies and overwhelmingly supportive media coverage failed to win over the country’s capital or secure a definitive result in Istanbul, as Turkey’s economic downturn weighed heavily on voters.
Turkish broadcasters said opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) candidate Mansur Yavas had won a clear victory in Ankara, but the vote count in Istanbul was so tight that both parties declared the narrowest of victories.
- Erdogan Calls Armenian Lobby ''Evil Power'', against which Turkey Will Continue Its Fight On Monday Erdogan announced a new four-day curfew effective Saturday in a televised speech following a cabinet meeting.
- Man Who Tries to Set Fire to Armenian Church in Istanbul says Armenians "Brought" COVID-19 Representatives of the Armenian patriarchy reported the incident, after which police and the provincial administration made statements.
- Gowns Ordered from Turkey Fail to Meet British Safety Standards The prime minister's spokesperson said the NHS was speaking to the supplier about getting replacement gowns.
- Erdogan Sends Letter to Trump Erdogan's letter arrived Tuesday along with medical equipment that Turkey sent to the US to help contain the outbreak of COVID-19. The administration of the Turkish president published a letter on Wednesday.
- Erdogan Rejects Minister's Resignation over Coronavirus Curfew: Al-Jazeera Turkey announced the weekend lockdown late on Friday, but in the brief time before it went into effect, many people rushed out to buy food and drink in the country's commercial hub Istanbul, a city of...
Artsakh Republic President Arayik Harutyunyan had a Private Meeting with Republic of Armenia Prime-Minister Nikol Pashinyan
PM Pays Tribute to Heroes of Sardarapat Battle
EU Stands by Armenia as Close and Reliable Partner in these Challenging Times
Armen Sarkissian: The Historic Significance of the First Republic is Invaluable
Armenia Records 8216 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
The Republic of Armenia Must Exist on the Planet Earth Forever: Nikol Pashinyan
We will face again the same threat if we do not take lessons from history - Serj Sargsyan
Artsakh President: The Philosophy of All Our Victories from Avarayr to Sardarapat and Shoushi is to be United and Consolidated, Strong and Steadfast
We Have Said Very Clearly – We will not Tolerate Any Threat or Use of Force: FM Mnatsakanyan
ECHR Ruling Should Become Basis to Eradicate Hatred Against Armenians in Azerbaijan: Artsakh MFA
May 28: the Day of Armenian First Republic
Cyprus Pledges to Cover Costs for Virus-Hit Tourists
Queen Allows Boris Johnson to Exercise in Buckingham Palace Grounds
Trump Threatens to Close down Social Media Platforms after Twitter Posts Warning under His Tweet
Restaurants, Shopping Malls, Public Transport Reopening in Georgia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
California Governor Denies Sassounian Parole
Trump Wants Full Afghanistan Pullout
Thousands of Citizens May be Infected but do not Know About it: PM on Necessity to Wear Masks
Samvel Avanesyan Appointed Minister of Labor, Social Affairs and Housing of Artsakh
Ara Darzi, Outstanding Surgeon, the First Armenian in the House of Lords
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
The "Koltso" operation of deportation of Armenian villages of Artsakh
Armenian Values and Upbringing Always Helped Me: Paul Ignatius, Former US Navy Minister
Trump Nominates Patrick Hovakimian as National Intelligence General Counsel
Armenians Caused the Coronavirus to Plague Us: Garo Paylan Raised the Issue of Attack on Armenian Church in Turkey
David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song
How Can the Armenian Genocide Be Forgotten? Russian TV Journalist to Ukrainian Politician
Azerbaijan Informed neither Armenia, nor International Organizations about the Military Exercises: RA Defense Ministry Spokesperson
Armenia’s MFA Should Explain why It’s Partners which Have Always Taken a Neutral Position on the Armenian Genocide Issue, Now Take Pro-Turkish Stance
Wind: 6 km/h