Erdogan Loses Hold over Turkish Capital
Turkey’s Tayyip Erdogan suffered a severe setback as his ruling AK Party lost control of the capital Ankara for the first time in a local election and he appeared to concede defeat in the country’s largest city, Istanbul, Reuters reports.
Erdogan, who has dominated Turkish politics since coming to power 16 years ago and ruled his country with an ever tighter grip, campaigned relentlessly for two months ahead of Sunday’s vote, which he described as a “matter of survival” for Turkey.
But the president’s daily rallies and overwhelmingly supportive media coverage failed to win over the country’s capital or secure a definitive result in Istanbul, as Turkey’s economic downturn weighed heavily on voters.
Turkish broadcasters said opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) candidate Mansur Yavas had won a clear victory in Ankara, but the vote count in Istanbul was so tight that both parties declared the narrowest of victories.
- Jailed PKK Leader Ocalan 'Ready for a Solution' with Turkey According to the statement issued late on Thursday, Ocalan said that Kurds do not need a separate state within the framework of finding a place for themselves that was consistent with historical Turkish-Kurdish...
- Turkey, US Agree to Set up Operation Centre for Syria Safe Zone The proposed zone aims to secure a strip of land stretching more than 400 km (250 miles) along Syria’s northeastern border with Turkey, much of it controlled by the Kurdish YPG militia that fought with...
- Trump to Discuss Turkey With GOP Senators at White House Next Week Citing two officials familiar with the matter, the report noted that the meeting, which will address "Turkey sanctions," will take place at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
- EU Agrees Sanctions Against Turkey for Drilling off Cyprus The EU last month warned Turkey it could face sanctions if it did not cease what the bloc called "illegal" drilling in Cyprus's exclusive economic zone.
- Trump Aides Pick Sanctions to Punish Turkey for Russian Missiles The administration chose one of three sets of actions
Armenia Apprehends Two Internationally Wanted Indian Terror Suspects
The Volunteer National Review of the Republic of Artsakh is Disseminated in the UN
President Bako Sahakyan Met with a Group of Representatives of the Artsakh Republic Ministry of Finance
Alexander Lukashenko Has Congratulated Armenian Apostolic Church Leader on his Birthday
“We Consider you the Friend of Democracy in Armenia" - PM Holds Farewell Meeting with Piotr Switalski
The Government Dismisses the Mayors, then Beats the Deputies Elected by the People: Garo Paylan
Artsakh Republic President Handed in the ''Anania Shirakatsi'' Medal to Famed Geologist from Russia Sergey Vardanyan
Serzh Sargsyan Congratulates His Holiness Garegin II on Birthday
OSCE Mission Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border Passed in Accordance with the Agreed Schedule
Sinquefield Cup: Aronyan Loses in Round 4 of Tournament
PM, RyanAir Representatives Discuss Prospects for Irish Carrier’s Involvement in Armenia
PM Nikol Pashinyan Extends Birthday Greetings to Catholicos of All Armenians
Serbia to Sign Free Trade Zone Agreement with EAEU on October 25
ARF-D offers referendum for the solution of Amulsar issue
Earthquake Hits Armenia
Armenia National Security Service uncovers embezzlement at MOD
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Uruguay’s President Says He Has Lung Cancer
Artsakh President Congratulates His Holiness Garegin II on Birthday
Government Discussed Potential Entry of Ryanair into Armenian Market
He Will Be Great: Trump Congratulates Boris Johnson on Becoming UK's New PM
“Our Goal is to Make the Startup a Dominant Mindset in Armenia” - PM Meets with Sevan Startup Summit-2009 Participants (PHOTOS)
Trump Administration Attacks U.S. Aid Program to Artsakh
Armenian Killed in Aleppo
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Prime Minister of the Australian State of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border More than 900 Times
Our Strength Comes From our Ideas, Country’s Leaders and Country’s Rating: Security Council Secretary
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Delivered a Speech at the Meeting with the Armenian Community of Australia
In Uruguay Garo Paylan Together with His Party Colleague Paid Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of the Armenian Genocide
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border more than 65 Times
Wind: 3 km/h