My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE)
"Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with James Bagian, the only Armenian in the world, who has traveled into Space.
- Mr Bagian, what made you want to become an astronaut?
I had always been interested in aviation from the time I was a little boy. My father, Philip Bagian, had been a highly decorated fighter pilot in World War 2 and I suppose I developed my interest from the stories he would tell my brother and me about the enjoyment, challenge, and satisfaction he experienced from flying. Having developed an avid interest in aviation at such a young age it was only natural to become interested in spaceflight and becoming an astronaut.
-You have logged over 337 hours in space. What is the outer space like? What feelings did You experience?
-Seeing the Earth from space with your own eyes gives a much greater appreciation for the planet than pictures or videos are capable of imparting. The beauty and seeing the Earth, its land masses, and oceans with no political boundaries definitely impresses one that all the peoples of the Earth and their activities ultimately can impact everyone regardless of where they live.
I was also impressed with the tremendous technical achievement that launching a spacecraft is and how fortunate I was to have been allowed to make my flights as well as the debt of thanks I felt to all of the people whose good work made the experience possible for me to have.
-What is the most memorable moment for you in space?
-I most vividly remember the first time I was in orbit and looked out of the window at the horizon to see the thin blue line that was the atmosphere that envelopes the Earth. It was a beautiful electric blue color and it was particularly striking to me because of how small and fragile it appeared especially as I contemplated how all the people on Earth depend on it for our survival every day.
-Please, tell us about your family and their Armenian traditions.
-Grandparents on my father’s side emigrated to the United States just after 1900. My father and his brothers and sister were the first ones in their family born in the United States. They were always proud of their Armenian heritage and I fondly remember spending times together with my family enjoying Armenian delicacies and hearing from my father’s parents stories about "the old country".
-As we know, you have not been to Armenia yet. Would you like to ever visit Armenia?
-You are correct, I have never been to Armenia but I would be interested to do so.
- Jack Aghazarian, WW2 Special Agent of Armenian Descent Jack Charles Aghazaryan, one of Britain's bravest spies in the Special Forces Department during World War II.
- Anna Kazanjian Longobardo, Armenian, Designer of the American Missile Navigation System In 1949 Anna Longobardo became the first woman to receive a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Columbia University, she was one of the founders of the Society of Women Engineers, which elected her a fellow,...
- Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt "Nubar Pasha is an Egyptian-Armenian politician, Christian and the first Prime Minister of Egypt. An Educated person, who fluently speaks a few languages, he is a genuine diplomat of the time," Brighouse...
- Asatour Sarafian, the Inventor of Automatic Transmission For Automobiles Asatour Sarafian, was an Armenian American inventor who patented a number of works, including an automatic transmission for automobiles, the needleless inoculation gun, the primary controls of the first...
- Alexander Leonovich Kemurdzhian, Designer of the First Planet Rover The mission of Kemurdzhian’s life was the design of space technology and participation in the design of the world's first automatic self-propelled apparatus for research on the lunar surface.
Deadly Air Raids Kill Children in Afghanistan
Aubameyang Makes Europa League Promise to Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Armenia-China Visa Regime Being Lifted
Yerevan State University Rector Resigns
President Armen Sarkissian Made a Statement at the Opening of the Eurasian Media Forum: We Should be Ready for the World We Will Have 20 Years From Now
Amnesty International Condemns Henrikh Mkhitaryan's Europa League 'Ban' by Azerbaijan
Ankara Stopped Buying Iran Oil Out of "Respect" For US Sanctions
Ukrainian Anti-Corruption Prosecutor’s Office Opens Another Case Against Poroshenko
Chinese Market is Open for Armenian Goods: PM Pashinyan
California Senate Passes California-Armenia Trade Office Bill
Libya's Haftar Tells Macron No Ceasefire for now
OSCE Conducts Monitoring at Armenia-Azerbaijan Border
Arsenal, Chelsea Sending Back 6,000 Tickets to UEFA
European Elections 2019
Theresa May Prepares to Quit After Cabinet Mutiny
India Elections: Narendra Modi's BJP Set to Sweep Back to Power
Qatar 2022 World Cup to See 32 Teams Only: FIFA
US Ultimatum Unlikely to Change Turkey’s Position on S-400 Deal
8 Armenians in the Crashed Bus in Italy: MFA
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
It Is a Crime that Turkey Doesn't Want to Return Mount Ararat to Armenians: Zhirinovsky
Recognition Path of the Armenian Genocide Through 2018-2019
Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt
This Year Marks the 150th Birthday of Renowned Armenian Composer Komitas
INSIGHT From Yerevan: Turkey’s Genocide Policy
INSIGHT FROM YEREVAN: The Legal Aspects of the Armenian Genocide
Anna Kazanjian Longobardo, Armenian, Designer of the American Missile Navigation System
Erdogan Follows the Footsteps of His Criminal Ancestors
"During its EAEU Presidency, Armenia will Make Every Effort to Back the Positive Dynamics of Integration" - Eurasian Intergovernmental Council Meets in Yerevan
Rammstein Released a New Video
Wind: 8 km/h