US and Turkey Begin Syria ‘Security Zone’ Talks in Ankara
Turkey and the U.S. began talks on Tuesday, July 23 to establish a “security zone” in northern Syria aimed at creating a buffer between Kurdish fighters and the Turkish border, The Defense Post reports.
“Military officials from the two countries began, today in Ankara, to work together on a security zone that will be put in place in a coordinated manner in the north of Syria,” the Turkish ministry of defense said.
It said further talks were due in the coming days.
The idea of a security zone was first mooted by U.S. President Donald Trump in January, in a call with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan, at a moment when Turkey was threatening to launch an offensive against Kurdish forces in Syria.
- Erdogan Says Syria's Idlib Slowly Disappearing Idlib, in Syria’s northwest corner, is the only big chunk of the country still in rebel hands after over eight years of war.
- Syrian Gov't Agrees to Conditional Ceasefire in Rebel-Held Idlib SANA cited a Syrian military source who announced the government's "approval for a ceasefire in the de-escalation zone in Idlib starting from tonight", on the condition that rebels withdraw forces and...
- Next Group of Armenian Specialists Leaves for Syria Next group from Armenia consisting of humanitarian de-miners, doctors and specialists ensuring their security has arrived in Aleppo, Syria on June 4.
- Syrian Troops Continue Push Into Jihadist Stronghold of Idlib Syrian troops captured the town of Qalaat al-Madiq on Thursday as they continued a push into a remaining rebel-held enclave located in Idlib province. The UN Security Council will hold a closed-door meeting...
- Why Iran Supports Turkey, Or the Regional Puzzle in Syria Interestingly, Iran joined this operation: this is the first Turkish-Iranian joint operation against the PKK. Turkey announced a joint operation with Iran against the PKK on the eve of the general elections...
"We Should Add Momentum to the Fight Against Corruption" – PM Chairs Consultative Meeting
Yerevan Court Denies Bail Petition, Ex-President Kocharyan to Remain in Custody
Saudi Arabia ‘Bullies’ Wealthy Families to Pump Cash into Oil IPO
Beijing-2022 Olympic Mascot Unveiled
Queen Elizabeth II Sent Congratulations to President Sarkissian on the Occasion of Independence Day
Facebook CEO Zuckerberg Meets Trump
Defense Minister: Exchange of Armenian Captives with Azerbaijani Saboteurs not Ruled Out
PM Introduces NSS Interim Director to NSS Senior Staff
Buckingham Palace ‘Displeased’ by Cameron’s Comments about Seeking Queen’s Help during Scottish Referendum
Trump Whistleblower Complaint Involves Ukraine: Report
Nikol Pashinyan Calls at Public TV Headquarters
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to Hold Meeting in New York City
Arab Coalition Launches Military Operation North of Hodeidah in Yemen
Joe Biden Calls for Reaffirmation of U.S. Record on the Armenian Genocide
Vanadzor-Alaverdi-Bagratashen Highway is Closed for Truck Traffic
PM receives HSBC Bank Executive Director for Europe
PM receives Boeing International Corporation Vice President-Led Delegation
Strategic Military Exercises to be Held on September 24-October 5, Involving Government Agencies and Local Self-Government Organizations
Iran's Zarif Warns of 'All-out War'
Trump's Communications with a Foreign Leader Sparked Whistleblower Complaint
Famous Russian Singer Lyubov Uspenskaya Performed an Armenian Song in Azerbaijan (VIDEO)
Models and Celebrities Love Kim Kardashian's Vogue Arabia Cover
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Armenia PM: If Government Were Subjected to Pressure on Teghut Matter, Over 900 People Would Again Be Unemployed
Commemoration of Sts. John the Baptist and Job the Righteous
Jerusalem Municipality Plans to Reconstruct the Armenian Patriarchate Road
CSTO Will Always Welcome Cooperation with all the Former Republics of the USSR: Deputy Prime Minister of Russia
The Proposal for Organizing a Meeting Between Armenian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers Was Voiced by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group
Georgian Parliament Approves New Prime Minister Giorgi Gakharia
Government Sets up Terms and Conditions for Affordable Long-Term Mortgage Lending for Contract Servicemen
Wind: 6 km/h