Defense Minister: Exchange of Armenian Captives with Azerbaijani Saboteurs not Ruled Out
Armenian Defense Minister David Tonoyan on Friday did not rule out the possible exchange of Armenian captives with Azerbaijani saboteurs, Panorama.am reports.
In a statement on Thursday, Azerbaijan’s State Commission for Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons said the country “stands ready to exchange Karen Ghazaryan and Arayik Ghazaryan with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev.”
Tonoyan was notified of Azerbaijan’s proposal at a meeting with the representative of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Armenia.
“I don’t exclude it, but it’s a matter of Artsakh’s sovereign decision,” he told reporters.
The minister said there are some issues that need to be discussed, but did not elaborate. He said some information on the matter require clarification, adding Armenia will respond to the proposal after Azerbaijan provides the country with the necessary information.
“Principally, we are not against the return of Armenian citizens and will support this process… This is a pure humanitarian act,” he said.
“I don’t view the matter in terms of exchange. It is not a right approach at least by the defense minister. I am working on repatriating my citizens,” he stressed.
Karen Ghazaryan was detained by Azerbaijani troops in July 2018 and was sentenced to 20 years in prison on charges of attempting to carry out terrorist attacks in Azerbaijan, while Arayik Ghazaryan was detained after ending up in Azerbaijani territory in still unclear circumstances on 12 August 2019.
Azerbaijani citizen Dilgam Asgarov was sentenced to life in prison by an Artsakh court, while Shahbaz Guliyev got 22 years in prison on charges of killing a teenager, illegally crossing the Artsakh border and spying.
- Comment by the Foreign Ministry Spokesperson on the Statement Issued by the Foreign Ministry of Azerbaijan Regarding the Inauguration of the newly Elected President of Artsakh in Shushi Armenia is committed to an exclusively peaceful settlement of the conflict within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairmanship
- Pashinyan: If Necessary, I’m Ready to Discuss the Karabakh Issue with Artsakh Ex-Presidents According to him, there was always the idea of peacekeeping forces in previous documents and public statements.
- Trilateral Ceasefire Agreement Signed Between NKR, Armenia and Azerbaijan: 26 Years Have Passed April four-day war showed how fragile the Agreement on Ceasefire is and how easy it is to break it. Until now, on NKR-Azerbaijan border and on Armenia-Azerbaijan border people are dying, and if we summarize...
- Canada FM: There has Not Been any Change to Our Position on Nagorno-Karabakh In a letter addressed to the Armenian National Committee of Canada (ANCC) on May 4th, Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Hon. François-Philippe Champagne clarified Canada’s position on Artsakh...
- Liberation of Shushi: The Turning Point of the “Wedding in the Mountains” May 8 in the history of the Karabakh war will perhaps be remembered as a turning point – with that day marking the start of the operation called “wedding in the mountains”, which changed not only...
SpaceX Sends Astronauts Into Orbit
Armenia Records 9282 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Feast of Pentecost
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Arayik Harutyunyan Signed a Decree on the 2020 Summer Draft and Demobilization
US Breaks All Ties With WHO, will no longer Finance It — Trump
Armenia Citizens Holding Ordinary Passports Can Travel to China Without Visa as of Monday
President Sarkissian Congratulates Croatia’s Milanović on Statehood Day
Armenia Records 8927 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Austrian Parliament Ratifies Armenia-EU Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement
Artsakh Parliamentary Speaker Responds to Azerbaijan's Statements
RA Prime Minister Offers Condolences to President of Spanish Government
Armenia to Reach Italy's Figures if Tempo of Spread of Coronavirus Remains Unchanged: Armenia's PM
Artsakh President Instructs Reappointed FM to Intensify Work on Foreign Policy Front
Yerevan Zoo Will be Closed for Visitors on Children’s Day
Yerevan-Brussels-Yerevan Regular Flights to Resume on June 27
ECHR Delivers Advisory Opinion on Robert Kocharyan’s Case
Armenia PM Signs New Decision
Armenian President Offers Condolences to King Felipe VI of Spain
Artsakh President: There Can Phased Solution to Conflict But Only in One Option
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
Armenian Values and Upbringing Always Helped Me: Paul Ignatius, Former US Navy Minister
Trump Nominates Patrick Hovakimian as National Intelligence General Counsel
Armenians Caused the Coronavirus to Plague Us: Garo Paylan Raised the Issue of Attack on Armenian Church in Turkey
David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song
Trilateral Ceasefire Agreement Signed Between NKR, Armenia and Azerbaijan: 26 Years Have Passed
Azerbaijan Informed neither Armenia, nor International Organizations about the Military Exercises: RA Defense Ministry Spokesperson
Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky
Wind: 6 km/h