Canada "Temporarily" Suspends New Arms Sales to Turkey
Canada has "temporarily" suspended new arms export permits to Turkey following that country's incursion into northern Syria, Global Affairs Canada said Tuesday, CBC reports.
In a written statement, a government spokesman re-iterated that Canada condemns Turkey's military action, which the government of President Recep Erdogan says is necessary to create a buffer zone against Kurdish militia forces.
"This unilateral action risks undermining the stability of an already fragile region, exacerbating the humanitarian situation and rolling back progress achieved by the Global Coalition Against Daesh, of which Turkey is a member," said spokesman Guillaume Berube.
"We call for the protection of civilians and on all parties to respect their obligations under international law, including unhindered access for humanitarian aid."
Over the weekend other nations — Britain, France and Germany — also suspended arms sales to Turkey because of its decision to attack Kurdish forces.
The suspension of Canadian weapons exports was first reported by Postmedia.
Turkey is on a list of trusted countries where Canadian defence contractors can safely do business and sell sophisticated, restricted weapons.
- Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria Pastor of the Armenian Catholic Community of Qamishli Priest Hovsep Petoyan and his father Priest Abraham Petoyan were traveling in a vehicle en route to Deir ez-Zor when terrorists opened gunfire on their...
- Western Sanctions on Syria Only Hurt the People in Order to Push Regime Change Agenda – Assad to RT “This might also be a last-ditch attempt to push them to be against the government. They tried it last winter, they tried it before but it did not work because people knew the whole story and knew where...
- Erdogan Plans to Discuss Situation in Syria with Putin According to the Turkish president, Ankara "will honor its part of the commitments under the agreements that had been reached to the very end."
- Syrian Constitution Committee Needs no External Interference to be Successful - Ambassador "The Syria talks in Geneva will be getting on well if there is no external interference. Unless the constitution committee is pressured, its issues will undoubtedly be solved with success," he said.
- Armenian Premier Says He Discussed Safety of Armenians in Syria’s Qamishli with Putin In that regard, the Armenian premier thanked Putin, because "in the final analysis, security interests of Armenians living in that sector were taken into account."
Armenia, Azerbaijan Not Negotiating Over Concrete Document Now: Anna Naghdalyan
Artsakh Crowned Volleyball Champion
Nikol Pashinyan, Emmanuel Macron hold private talks on margins of Paris Peace Forum
Arsen Julfalakyan Takes Part in Tournament After Long Break and Wins It
Nikol Pashinyan attends Second Paris Peace Forum; PM hands Armenian book to Forum Library
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
Yerevan condemns “in strongest terms” killing of two Armenians in Syria ISIL attack
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Moldova's Fledgling Government Brought Down by no Confidence Vote
Turkey's Erdogan Says talks with EU May End over Cyprus Sanctions
Head-on Collision of Bangladesh Trains Kills 16, Injures 40
Ararat Mirzoyan Has a Farewell Meeting with Ambassador of Greece to Armenia
OSCE Mission will Conduct a Monitoring on the Border of Artsakh and Azerbaijan
Kazakh Former President Says in Talks to Arrange Putin-Zelenskiy Summit
Former Deputy Head of NA staff Arsen Babayan to be Released from Custody
Israeli Forces Kill Top Islamic Jihad Commander in Gaza Strike
PM Nikol Pashinyan Attends Official Reception, hosted on Behalf of Emmanuel Macron
Mexico Grants Asylum to Bolivia's Evo Morales
Former US President Jimmy Carter Hospitalized
Nikol Pashinyan Arrives at Élysée Palace
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
We Will Never Forget that 1.5 Million Armenians Were Murdered: Kim Kardashian
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 5 km/h