Western Sanctions on Syria Only Hurt the People in Order to Push Regime Change Agenda – Assad to RT
The restrictions the EU and the US imposed against Syria initially targeted ordinary Syrians so that they would blame the government for their woes and eventually rebel, President Assad told RT’s Afshin Rattansi. Now, as the West has kept renewing the sanctions year by year for almost a decade, they serve another goal: to punish Syrians for refusing to bow to the pressure, the president said.
Those people were expected to rise against their government during the different stages of the war but they did not. They were supposed to support the terrorists – the ‘moderate rebels’ and ‘angels’ of White Helmets – but the people did not and stood with their government. So, they have to suffer. They have to pay the price and learn their lesson that they should stand with the agenda [of the West].
He also sees the sanctions push as a desperate attempt to topple the government in Damascus, which has so far survived a bitter civil war and large-scale terrorist presence. These plans are destined to fail, according to Assad, because public opinion will not be swayed so easily now after what Syrians saw during the years of war.
“This might also be a last-ditch attempt to push them to be against the government. They tried it last winter, they tried it before but it did not work because people knew the whole story and knew where their interests lie.”
Syria has been hit with multiple rounds of crippling sanctions since 2011. The US sanctions include the freezing of Syrian state assets and an embargo on oil sales. A US ban on the export, sale, and supply of services and any investments in Syria has also been in effect. The EU sanctions are not as severe, but have dealt a heavy blow to the economy as well, and include trade restrictions, asset freezes, travel bans, and an arms embargo.
Rattansi also asked Assad what he thought when the British government sent the Royal Navy to intercept an Iranian vessel claiming it was heading to Syria.
WATCH the full interview with Bashar Assad on RT this Monday.
- The Next Round of Syria Peace Talks Will Take Place on December 10-11 Kazakhstan will host the next round of Syria peace talks sponsored by Russia, Turkey and Iran on December 10-11, Kazakh foreign minister Mukhtar Tleuberdi told reporters on Friday, Reuters reports.
- Israel Strikes ‘Dozens’ of Targets in Syria Video footage from Syria appeared to show a Syrian air defense missile crashing to the ground in a heavily populated area shortly after launching, which may account for at least some of the casualties.
- Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria Pastor of the Armenian Catholic Community of Qamishli Priest Hovsep Petoyan and his father Priest Abraham Petoyan were traveling in a vehicle en route to Deir ez-Zor when terrorists opened gunfire on their...
- Erdogan Plans to Discuss Situation in Syria with Putin According to the Turkish president, Ankara "will honor its part of the commitments under the agreements that had been reached to the very end."
- Syrian Constitution Committee Needs no External Interference to be Successful - Ambassador "The Syria talks in Geneva will be getting on well if there is no external interference. Unless the constitution committee is pressured, its issues will undoubtedly be solved with success," he said.
Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenia, United States Discuss Recent NK Talks
Karabakh MOD: Azerbaijan Armed Forces Fired About 1,000 Shots in Passing Week
Russian Foreign Minister to Meet with Pompeo in DC Next Week
Roads in Armenia are Difficult to Pass
Armenia PM Visits Epicenter Spitak Town (Video)
Trump Calls for World Bank to Stop Loaning to China
Armenia Deputy FM Receives Guatemalan Delegation
Gabriel Sargissian Wins European Rapid Chess Championship 2019
Armenia Remembers Victims of 1988 Earthquake
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Attended Concert Dedicated to 91st Anniversary of Hovhannes Chekijian
Angela Merkel Visits Auschwitz for the First Time as Germany's Chancellor
Government Continues Discussing Public Agencies’ Budget Requests
We're Acquiring New Weapons: Armenia’s Deputy Defense Minister
Armenian Military Will Have Special Army Sports Club for Distinguished Athlete Conscripts
Mistake Has Occurred while Publishing the Translation of the Text: Armenia's MFA
Unprecedented New Year and Christmas Celebrations Expected in Yerevan: Municipality of Yerevan
PM: State Budget of Armenia Exceeds by AMD 89 Billion in 2019
Armenia Acquired Unprecedented Quantity of Arms, Ammunition Since May 2018: Nikol Pashinyan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Komitas Statue to Be Unveiled in Front of Istanbul’s Armenian Patriarchate
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Pope Francis Refers to Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Artsakh Republic President Held a Working Consultation with the Representatives of the Askeran Regional Administration and Community Heads
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
Azerbaijan Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border around 140 Times in One Week
Colonel Arayik Grigoryan Appointed Frst Deputy Director of the Artsakh Republic National Security Service
Wind: 4 km/h