European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament
Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen's new team of commissioners were confirmed by a vote of the European Parliament on Wednesday, DW reports.
In Strasbourg, 461 of the lawmakers voted in favor, 157 against and 89 abstained. Von der Leyen only needed a simple majority to secure confirmation as commission president.
Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
"Our union will embark on transformation that will touch every part of our society and economy and we will do it because it will be the right thing to do, not because it will be easy," she said ahead of the vote.
She pledged "transformation which will touch every part of our society and our economy."
"We are ready, Europe is ready. My message is simple: Let's get to work," she added. Her commission will take over on December 1.
The German lawmaker also stressed that the "existential" challenge of climate change, putting this at the forefront of her new agenda.
"We don't have a moment to waste any more on fighting climate change," von der Leyen told the assembly on Wednesday.
The new commission of 27 commissioners will have three executive vice-presidents: Valdis Dombrokvskis (Latvia), Frans Timmermans (Netherlands) and Margrethe Vestager (Denmark).
Dutch socialist Timmermans is in charge of the European Green Deal that Von der Leyen championed.
"It will need massive investment," she told the parliament, referring to her plan to tackle climate change.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
Reviving Armenia Party to Run in Snap Parliamentary Elections with ex-President Kocharyan-led Bloc
Lavrov Responds to Aliyev's 'Zangezur Corridor' Claims
''Moderna’' Named World's Best Coronavirus Vaccine
Latvia Officially Recognizes Armenian Genocide
Armenia Records 218325 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Russian FM Lavrov Visited the Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan
Lavrov-Aivazian Meeting Commence in Yerevan
Some Road in Armenia is Difficult to Pass
OSCE MG Co-Chairs Again Urge to Return All War Prisoners
Sergey Lavrov Has Arrived in Armenia
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Artsakh Sent Letters to the UN SG and Specialized Bodies
US Secretary of State Calls Armenia and Azerbaijan to Fully Complete the Exchange Process for All Prisoners
Ararat Mirzoyan to Visit Moscow on an Official Visit
Levon Ter-Petrosyan Offered Robert Kocharyan and Serzh Sargsyan to Cooperate
Azerbaijan Hasn't Informed Artsakh Diocese and the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin about His Actions at the Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (EXCLUSIVE)
Karabakh Has New Justice Minister
Armenia MOD: Serviceman Dies at Combat Position of Military Unit
International Recognition of the Artsakh Republic Has Been and Remains on the Agenda: Arayik Harutyunyan
Armenia’s Ambassador Meets with Iranian Defense Minister
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Even if Biden Uses the Term "Genocide", it Wouldn't Be Right to Consider it as Final Recognition: Interview with Harut Sassounian (Exclusive)
Armenian-Australian Community Appeals to Prime Minister Scott Morrison to Recognize the Armenian Genocide
The Feelings and Emotions We Had During the 44-Day War in Artsakh: Interview with the Author of the Book "On This Side of the Window"
Armenia's Ombudsman Addresses CoE Committee of Ministers for Immediate Return of Armenian POWs in Azerbaijan
Can’t Rely on Their Mood: Lavrov Excoriates Washington’s 'Dead-End' Policy toward Russia
Silent Protest Demanding the Return of Armenian PoWs Canceled in Warsaw Due to Turkish-Azerbaijani Threats
Turkey’s Leader Met Two E.U. Presidents. The Woman Among Them Didn’t Get a Chair
OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Call on Parties to Resume Dialogue Under their Auspices at Earliest Opportunity
Artsakh Reports 8 Daily Coronavirus Cases
The Tragic Events in Maragha will Remain an Incurable Wound in the Memory of Our People: Armenia's MFA
Wind: 4 km/h