European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament
Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen's new team of commissioners were confirmed by a vote of the European Parliament on Wednesday, DW reports.
In Strasbourg, 461 of the lawmakers voted in favor, 157 against and 89 abstained. Von der Leyen only needed a simple majority to secure confirmation as commission president.
Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
"Our union will embark on transformation that will touch every part of our society and economy and we will do it because it will be the right thing to do, not because it will be easy," she said ahead of the vote.
She pledged "transformation which will touch every part of our society and our economy."
"We are ready, Europe is ready. My message is simple: Let's get to work," she added. Her commission will take over on December 1.
The German lawmaker also stressed that the "existential" challenge of climate change, putting this at the forefront of her new agenda.
"We don't have a moment to waste any more on fighting climate change," von der Leyen told the assembly on Wednesday.
The new commission of 27 commissioners will have three executive vice-presidents: Valdis Dombrokvskis (Latvia), Frans Timmermans (Netherlands) and Margrethe Vestager (Denmark).
Dutch socialist Timmermans is in charge of the European Green Deal that Von der Leyen championed.
"It will need massive investment," she told the parliament, referring to her plan to tackle climate change.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
Ararat Mirzoyan Held Telephone Conversation with Chairman of Russian State Duma
Artsakh President Convoked a Consultation on the Defense Army Officers' Housing Issues
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Ararat Mirzoyan Has a Telephone Talk with Speaker of RF FA Council Federation Valentina Matviyenko
President Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to Alexander Lukashenko on the Occasion of the Independence Day of Belarus
RA NA Representative at Constitutional Court Presents a Motion to CC
Armen Sarkissian Congratulated the Author and Publicist Razmik Davoyan on the Occasion of his 80th Birth Anniversary
France's Macron Appoints New Prime Minister After Government Resigns
EU Foreign Ministers to Discuss Hong Kong at Next Meeting
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Alexander Lukashenko on Belarus Independence Day
Communication With Public is One of Key Challenges for Armenia Authorities, Says USAID Official
Third President of the Republic of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan Congratulates Poet Razmik Davoyan on 80th Birth Anniversary
ECB Welcomes Initiative to Launch new European Payment Solution
French PM Philippe Resigns
Armenia Records 27320 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
President of Artsakh Approved Decisions of the Government
PM Nikol Pashinyan’s Congratulatory Message to Vladimir Putin
Government Approves State Support Program for Winter Wheat Sowing Campaign
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Ararat Danielyan Appointed Adviser to Artsakh President
''Nasty Armenian'': Turkish Singer Sued for Insulting Armenians in a Post Addressed to Kim Kardashian
Karen Bekaryan: Nikol Pashinyan Has Forgotten that His Mission Is to Represent and Advocate the Interests of His Country
Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian Resigns from Board, Urges Seat Be Filled by Black Candidate
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Greek Defence Minister: Turkey’s Behaviour is Aggressive But Our Powerful Armed Forces is a Deterrent
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
ANCA Calls for Robust US Funding for Artsakh
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Comment by the Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Anna Naghdalyan Regarding Bellicose Statements of Various Circles of Azerbaijani Authorities
Wind: 16 km/h