European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament
Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen's new team of commissioners were confirmed by a vote of the European Parliament on Wednesday, DW reports.
In Strasbourg, 461 of the lawmakers voted in favor, 157 against and 89 abstained. Von der Leyen only needed a simple majority to secure confirmation as commission president.
Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
"Our union will embark on transformation that will touch every part of our society and economy and we will do it because it will be the right thing to do, not because it will be easy," she said ahead of the vote.
She pledged "transformation which will touch every part of our society and our economy."
"We are ready, Europe is ready. My message is simple: Let's get to work," she added. Her commission will take over on December 1.
The German lawmaker also stressed that the "existential" challenge of climate change, putting this at the forefront of her new agenda.
"We don't have a moment to waste any more on fighting climate change," von der Leyen told the assembly on Wednesday.
The new commission of 27 commissioners will have three executive vice-presidents: Valdis Dombrokvskis (Latvia), Frans Timmermans (Netherlands) and Margrethe Vestager (Denmark).
Dutch socialist Timmermans is in charge of the European Green Deal that Von der Leyen championed.
"It will need massive investment," she told the parliament, referring to her plan to tackle climate change.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
Armenia Records 78810 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
The Armenian Side Continues to Strictly Adhere to the Ceasefire Regime- Nikol Pashinyan
Situation in Artsakh’s Peaceful Settlements Calm
Azerbaijan Grossly Violates Ceasefire, Shells Karabakh’s Defense Army Positions in North-Eastern Direction
Security of People, National Interests Iran's Red Lines: IRGC cmdr
Artsakh Strictly Adheres to Ceasefire Dea
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs and OSCE MG Co-chairs to Meet in Geneva October 29
Artsakh Confirms Its Readiness To Comply, On A Reciprocal Basis, With The Terms Of The Humanitarian Ceasefire
U.S.-Armenia-Azerbaijan Joint Statement
Armenia, Azerbaijan reach another ceasefire agreement
Trump Promises to Easily Solve Nagorno Karabakh Conflict
USA Pushing Azerbaijan to Accept Ceasefire Agreement
Our Primary Task is to Ensure the Self-Defense of Nagorno-Karabakh and its People - PM Receives French Parliament Delegation
Artsakh President: Both the Army And the Militia Forces Stand Firmly in Their Positions to Defend the Homeland
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Masis Mayilian Sent a Thank-you Letter to Australian New South Wales MP Hugh McDermott
Artsakh Defense Army Publishes Names of Other Killed 11 Servicemen
Lee Kun-hee, Samsung’s Chairman, Dies at 78
Our people in Nagorno-Karabakh Will Live in Freedom, in Dignity, in Safety, and in Security- Armenian FM
France recalls Ambassador from Turkey
Armenia Records 77837 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
Despite Your Best Efforts, Turkey, Azerbaijan... We Will Never Be Annihilated: Alexis Ohanian
Kim Kardashian donates 1 million USD to "Hayastan" All Armenian Fund
Armen Knyazyan is Awarded with the Highest title of the "Hero of Artsakh"
We Hope Armenians Will Be Able to Defend Against what Azerbaijanis are Doing – Pompeo
Experts of the Human Rights Defender’s Office Have Identified Location and Time of Azerbaijani Criminal Ativities Towards Armenian Prisoners of War
Emmanuel Macron Proposes New Talks on Nagorno-Karabakh
MFA Spokesperson Statement in Response to the Statement by the EEAS Spokesperson on the So-Called "Strikes on the City of Ganja"
Aurora Founders to Provide $2 Million in Assistance to Armenia and Artsakh
Wind: 4 km/h