European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament
Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen's new team of commissioners were confirmed by a vote of the European Parliament on Wednesday, DW reports.
In Strasbourg, 461 of the lawmakers voted in favor, 157 against and 89 abstained. Von der Leyen only needed a simple majority to secure confirmation as commission president.
Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
"Our union will embark on transformation that will touch every part of our society and economy and we will do it because it will be the right thing to do, not because it will be easy," she said ahead of the vote.
She pledged "transformation which will touch every part of our society and our economy."
"We are ready, Europe is ready. My message is simple: Let's get to work," she added. Her commission will take over on December 1.
The German lawmaker also stressed that the "existential" challenge of climate change, putting this at the forefront of her new agenda.
"We don't have a moment to waste any more on fighting climate change," von der Leyen told the assembly on Wednesday.
The new commission of 27 commissioners will have three executive vice-presidents: Valdis Dombrokvskis (Latvia), Frans Timmermans (Netherlands) and Margrethe Vestager (Denmark).
Dutch socialist Timmermans is in charge of the European Green Deal that Von der Leyen championed.
"It will need massive investment," she told the parliament, referring to her plan to tackle climate change.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
The Incumbent Authorities Must Leave as They Are the Symbol of Our Defeat: Kocharyan
Return of Armenian Prisoners Continues to Be on Russian Agenda: Ambassador
Vladimir Putin Congratulates Armenian President on Victory Anniversary
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Messages to Vladimir Putin, Mikhail Mishustin on May 9
Armenian President Congratulates Nation on Victory and Peace Day
Armenia Records 219270 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song
Statement by the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh on the Occasion of the May Triple Holiday
Armenians Danced "Kochari" at the Walls of Reichstag in Berlin (VIDEO)
Today Is Victory Day and There Is No Alternative!
Shushi Liberation Operation in 1st Artsakh War was Approved by ex-President Sargsyan
Wreath Laid on Behalf of Armenian President at Yerablur Military Pantheon
Artsakh Reports 13 New Cases of COVID-19 in One Day
Armenia Records 219092 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Major-General Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan Posthumously Bestowed with National Hero of Armenia title
Embassy of Armenia in Russia Condemns Act of Vandalism against Armenian Cemetery in Yaroslavl Region
Turkish Defense Ministry Uses Word ''Genocide'' then Deletes It
Armenia has returned all Azerbaijani POWs: Anna Naghdalyan
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Artsakh Sent Letters to the OCSE Minsk Group Co-Chairs and the PR of the OSCE CiO on the Threat to Water Security of Artsakh
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Even if Biden Uses the Term "Genocide", it Wouldn't Be Right to Consider it as Final Recognition: Interview with Harut Sassounian (Exclusive)
The Feelings and Emotions We Had During the 44-Day War in Artsakh: Interview with the Author of the Book "On This Side of the Window"
Armenia's Ombudsman Addresses CoE Committee of Ministers for Immediate Return of Armenian POWs in Azerbaijan
Silent Protest Demanding the Return of Armenian PoWs Canceled in Warsaw Due to Turkish-Azerbaijani Threats
OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Call on Parties to Resume Dialogue Under their Auspices at Earliest Opportunity
The Tragic Events in Maragha will Remain an Incurable Wound in the Memory of Our People: Armenia's MFA
Secretary of State Blinken Visits Afghanistan Day After US Announces Plans for Withdrawal
Joe Biden: We Remember the Lives of All Those who Died in the Ottoman-era Armenian Genocide
Canada Province of Alberta Recognizes Armenian Genocide
G7 Foreign Ministers’ Statement on the Situation Along Ukraine’s Borders
Wind: 12 km/h