European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament
Incoming European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen's new team of commissioners were confirmed by a vote of the European Parliament on Wednesday, DW reports.
In Strasbourg, 461 of the lawmakers voted in favor, 157 against and 89 abstained. Von der Leyen only needed a simple majority to secure confirmation as commission president.
Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
"Our union will embark on transformation that will touch every part of our society and economy and we will do it because it will be the right thing to do, not because it will be easy," she said ahead of the vote.
She pledged "transformation which will touch every part of our society and our economy."
"We are ready, Europe is ready. My message is simple: Let's get to work," she added. Her commission will take over on December 1.
The German lawmaker also stressed that the "existential" challenge of climate change, putting this at the forefront of her new agenda.
"We don't have a moment to waste any more on fighting climate change," von der Leyen told the assembly on Wednesday.
The new commission of 27 commissioners will have three executive vice-presidents: Valdis Dombrokvskis (Latvia), Frans Timmermans (Netherlands) and Margrethe Vestager (Denmark).
Dutch socialist Timmermans is in charge of the European Green Deal that Von der Leyen championed.
"It will need massive investment," she told the parliament, referring to her plan to tackle climate change.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
- The EU Council Approved EU budget The EU Council approved Monday a draft EU budget with expenditures of € 168.7 billion, which is 1.5% higher than the 2019 budget, said in a statement issued on Monday by the Council of the EU, TASS reported.
- Eurozone Economy Faces More "Prolonged Sag", Mario Draghi Warns Mr Draghi’s comments came after a key survey of business executives showed that the eurozone’s economy was close to stalling, dragged down by a steep drop in German manufacturing activity. The new...
- US Hits EU With Ultimatum US officials warned their EU counterparts that they may be left alone in the face of threats, supposedly including Russia, if Brussels rejected the US defence companies' participation in the creation of...
- Azerbaijan And European Union at Odds Azerbaijan does not succeed in enshrining the desired wording in its documents with the European Union.
Armenia PM Will Participate In Referendum Campaign
Armen Sarkissian Met with Head of the EU Delegation to Armenia
Iran Ready for Gulf Security Talks
Armenian from Wuhan Repatriated after Quarantine in Kazakhstan
US Successfully Tests Trident II Ballistic Missile Capable of Carrying Nuclear Warhead
Nikol Pashinyan Offers Condolences on the Untimely Demise of German Avagyan
Erdogan to Visit Baku
Armenian Church Delegation to Have Official Meeting with Pope Francis
EU Extends Arms Embargo against Belarus, Travel Ban on Four Individuals
UAE Issues Operating License for Arab World's First Nuclear Plant
Campaigning Ahead of Constitutional Referendum Begins
14 presidential Candidates, 2 Blocs and 10 Parties Apply to Participate in Eections in Artsakh
Coronavirus: China’s Hubei Province Orders Everybody to Stay Home
Athena Manoukian to Represent Armenia at Eurovision 2020 (video)
Armenia's Arsen Harutyunyan Wins Bronze of European Wrestling Championships
Nikol Pashinyan Attends Panel Discussion on the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict on the Sidelines of the Munich Security Conference
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Georgia, Ukraine, Moldova Address EU over Future Development of Eastern Partnership
Coronavirus Death Toll Climbs to 1,669
Iraq Base Hosting U.S. Military in Baghdad Hit by "Small Rockets"
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
"Yerevan-2800" Silver Collector Coin Takes 3rd Place
Wind: 6 km/h