Climate Change Tops Risks for World in 2020 – Davos Report
For the rich and powerful descending on the Swiss Alps next week for the World Economic Forum (WEF), the global economy ‘s capacity to respond to climate risks has risen to a top priority, Climate Changes News reports.
For the first time, environmental concerns dominated the top five long-term global risks for business leaders, investors and policy-makers surveyed in the WEF’s annual report, published on Wednesday.
In its 50th edition, the WEF in Davos will focus on preventing the erosion of international solidarity – a principle that underpinned the WEF’s foundation – and seek ways to build political and societal cohesion that can drive a global response to issues such as climate change.
US President Donald Trump, who is pulling out of the 2015 Paris climate agreement, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg are among those due to attend the 21-24 January event.
The 750 respondents to the WEF’s 2020 Global Risks Perception Survey ranked extreme weather events, climate action failure, natural disasters, biodiversity loss and human-made environmental disasters the top five most likely risks for the global economy this year – ahead of data fraud, cyberattacks, water crisis, global governance failure and assets bubbles.
The world’s elite also identified climate action failure as the risk with the greatest impact on the global economy. In the short-term extreme heatwaves and the destruction of natural ecosystems were ranked third and fourth as the risks most likely to rise in 2020.
“The horizon has shortened for preventing— or even mitigating—some of the direst consequences of global risks,” wrote Børge Brende, WEF president. “It is sobering that in the face of this development, when the challenges before us demand immediate collective action, fractures within the global community appear to only be widening.”
- Oil Ends Week Steady as China Growth Offsets Trade Deal Optimism "A well-expected fourth-quarter China GDP rate (6%) provided little clue for oil price trading on Friday morning, and mounting downward economic pressure will perhaps limit oil’s upside in the mid- to...
- Chinese Vice Premier Describes US-Chinese Cooperation as "the Only Correct Option" "We don't think tariffs are a good solution. Both sides need to solve problems through negotiation," the Chinese official added.
- USA and China Sign First Phase of US-China Trade Deal The deal, text of which was not released ahead of the signing, is said to include commitments by China to buy $200 billion of U.S. goods, including as much as $50 billion in agricultural products over...
- U.S., China Look to Reset Trade Relations with Signing of Phase 1 Deal U.S. officials called the deal a huge win that marked a significant shift in Washington’s relations with China, but said it included a tough enforcement measure that could trigger renewed tariffs if...
- Chinese Vice Premier to Sign First Stage Trade Deal in US Liu He will visit Washington from January 13 to 15 and will sign the first phase of a trade deal with the US.
HBO Max Orders Animated British Royal Family Satire Series 'The Prince'
China Orders Travel Agencies to Suspend Tours to Contain Virus Outbreak
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Prince Charles Visits Armenian Church in Bethlehem
What Takes Place Today will Not end Today: Armenia’s CC chairman Hrayr Tovmasyan on Search in His Apartment
EU Leaders Sign Brexit Withdrawal Agreement
"Yerevan-2800" Silver Collector Coin Takes 3rd Place
EU Chiefs Sign Brexit Deal ahead of Parliamentary Vote
Thousands Rally against US Military Presence in Iraq
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Trump Says will Release Middle East Peace Plan by Tuesday
Government Lowers the Family and Welfare Benefit Allowance Threshold: 11,000 Families will Not be Stripped of Benefits
Two Servicemen Receive Gun Wounds in Artsakh
Maduro Invites Observers from UN and EU to Parliamentary Election in Venezuela
Nikol Pashinyan, Stef Blok discuss Armenian-Dutch Relationship Development Propsects
Chinese Cities Cancel New Year Celebrations, Travel Ban Widens in Effort to Stop Coronavirus Outbreak
Armenia PM: Central Bank Made $5 mln Purchase from Financial Market Today
US Threatens to Assassinate New Quds Force Commander
In Jerusalem Emmanuel Macron Got Acquainted with the History of the Local Armenian Community (VIDEO)
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
The Hill: Armenian Church of Iran Included in Trump's List which He Threatened to Target
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Armenia's Constitutional Court Has Been Working under Unprecedented Pressure for the Last 6-7 Months: CC President
Wind: 5 km/h