Oil Ends Week Steady as China Growth Offsets Trade Deal Optimism
Oil prices edged higher on Friday but were set to end the week broadly steady as sluggish economic growth in China, the world’s biggest crude importer, raised concerns about fuel demand and countered optimism from the signing of a China-U.S. trade deal, Reuters reports.
The world’s second-largest economy grew by 6.1% in 2019, its slowest expansion in 29 years, government data showed on Friday.
"A well-expected fourth-quarter China GDP rate (6%) provided little clue for oil price trading on Friday morning, and mounting downward economic pressure will perhaps limit oil’s upside in the mid- to long-term," said Margaret Yang, market analyst at CMC Markets.
Brent crude futures LCOc1 were up 44 cents at $65.06 by 1014 GMT.
U.S. West Texas Intermediate futures CLc1 were up 35 cents at $58.87 a barrel.
Oil rose on Thursday after China and the United States signed their Phase 1 trade accord.
The mood was further boosted after the U.S. Senate approved changes to the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Free Trade Agreement.
- Chinese Vice Premier Describes US-Chinese Cooperation as "the Only Correct Option" "We don't think tariffs are a good solution. Both sides need to solve problems through negotiation," the Chinese official added.
- Climate Change Tops Risks for World in 2020 – Davos Report In its 50th edition, the WEF in Davos will focus on preventing the erosion of international solidarity – a principle that underpinned the WEF’s foundation – and seek ways to build political and...
- USA and China Sign First Phase of US-China Trade Deal The deal, text of which was not released ahead of the signing, is said to include commitments by China to buy $200 billion of U.S. goods, including as much as $50 billion in agricultural products over...
- U.S., China Look to Reset Trade Relations with Signing of Phase 1 Deal U.S. officials called the deal a huge win that marked a significant shift in Washington’s relations with China, but said it included a tough enforcement measure that could trigger renewed tariffs if...
- Chinese Vice Premier to Sign First Stage Trade Deal in US Liu He will visit Washington from January 13 to 15 and will sign the first phase of a trade deal with the US.
Initiative to Commemorate Armenian Genocide Victims Memory Registered in Ukrainian Parliament
Trump: Cases Stemming from Mueller Probe Should Be 'Thrown Out'
Andrzej Kasprzyk Takes Actions Stemming from His Mandate: OSCE (Tert.am)
Dubai Crown Prince Has Posted a Video which Shows a Pilot Flying an Iron Man-Like Jet Pack '5,000ft above the Ground at 150mph'
Armenia Defense Minister Receives EU Special Representative-Led Delegation
Incumbent Ghani Confirmed Winner of Afghan Presidential Poll After Five-Month Delay
"Citizens Should be Convinced that the Government Does Not Embezzle in State Funds" - Tax Reform Concept Discussed in Government
Haftar-Led Libyan National Army Says It Destroyed a Turkish Vessel With Weapons in Port of Tripoli
Parliament Speaker Says Georgia Moving forward, Opposition Interrupts with USSR Anthem
EU to Give Turkey More Time to Avoid Tax Blacklisting
Turkish Army Sent 300 Military Vehicles To Idlib
Zelensky Calls Extra NSDC Meeting On Situation In Donbas
Chief of General Staff of the Armenian Armed Forces Not Going to Resign
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the President of Moldova on the Occasion of his Birth Anniversary
Bako Sahakyan Received Minister of High-Tech Industry of the Republic of Armenia Hakob Arshakyan
The Number Of Victims Of Coronavirus Reached 1,874
First 10 Names Of The "No" Initiative Group Is Announced
"We are One Family" – PM on Military and Society
Armenia’s High Commissioner for Diaspora Affairs Meets Cilicia Business Club Members in Moscow
Feast of St. Ghevond the Priest and His Companions
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
"Yerevan-2800" Silver Collector Coin Takes 3rd Place
Wind: 3 km/h