Turkey’s Leader Met Two E.U. Presidents. The Woman Among Them Didn’t Get a Chair
Von der Leyen stood staring at them, gestured with her right hand and appeared to say "um" or "ehm."
She was ultimately offered a beige couch about 12 feet away, opposite Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, who occupies a lower-status rank in typical diplomatic protocol.
" ‘Ehm’ is the new term for ‘that’s not how EU-Turkey relationship should be’. #GiveHerASeat #EU #Turkey #womensrights," tweeted Sergey Lagodinsky, a German member of the European Parliament, who is chair of the legislature’s delegation to a joint E.U.-Turkish parliamentary committee.
"It wasn’t a coincidence it was deliberate," she wrote on Twitter, where some people explained away the incident as more about social distancing than protocol. "Why was @eucopresident silent?" she wrote, using Michel’s Twitter handle to ask why he didn’t offer his fancier seat to his counterpart.
- EU Freezes Turkey Sanctions Plan Work has stopped on additional blacklistings of Turkish individuals, and we are not talking of economic sanctions anymore.
- NATO Chief Expresses 'Serious Concerns' Over Turkey's Actions Though it has been a NATO member since 1952, Turkey has angered members of the alliance over the last few years in a string of moves.
- Turkey Considers Purchasing 2nd Regiment of Russian-Made S-400 Air Defense Systems "Our work on the second [regiment] of S-400 systems continues," he said in an interview with the Turkish NTV television channel.
- Turkey Says Turning Back on S-400s 'Problematic' "It is a very problematic situation to turn back from the point we have come to. We invite (the United States) to distance themselves from threatening language such as sanctions," Akar told journalists...
- Turkey Arrests Another Former Intelligence Officer in Hrant Dink Murder Case Earlier last week, the Istanbul court ordered the arrest of two former gendarmerie intelligence officers – Volkan Sahin and Veysal Sahin – in the same case.
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to Vladimir Putin
Erdogan’s Visit to Russia Being Prepared: Peskov
Armenia Interested in Opening Communications – PM Pashinyan Receives Deputy Prime Minister of Russia
Issue of Corridors Not Being Discussed: Russia Deputy PM
Eight People Killed in Perm State University Shooting — Health Ministry
By Now No Contacts Have Taken Place between Armenia, Turkey – PM’s Spokesperson
Unblocking of Transport Communications Will Give an Opportunity to Increase Trade Turnover Between Armenia and Russia
Armenia Records 253942 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Two Citizens That Had Crossed to Territory Under Azerbaijani Control Returned to Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Georgia Premier Conveyed Armenia PM’s Proposal to Hold Meeting: Erdogan
Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt
Two Residents of Armenia’s Kotayk Province End Up in Territory Under Azerbaijani Control
Armenia Records 253600 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Ombudsman: Masked and Armed Azerbaijani Soldiers Illegally Stopped Bus Carrying Armenian Children to Intimidate Them
Armenia Records 253093 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Artsakh’s NSS Denies Information About Presence of Azerbaijanis with Iranian Passports in Artsakh
Armenia Interested in Effectively Curbing the Threat of Terrorism in the CSTO and SCO Regions. Pashinyan
National Assembly Joins 100 Houses in Artsakh Project
Artsakh Serviceman Wounded by Azerbaijani Fire
Sir Khachik Paul Chater, Father of Hong Kong
Trump Says He’d Beat Biden in a Boxing Match
Lebanese-Armenian George Bojkian Appointed Minister in the New Lebanese Government
Arayik Harutyunyan Convened an Enlarged Working Consultation
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Construction of Nord Stream 2 Completed: Gazprom
Zelensky's Speculations about Risk of Russia-Ukraine War Apocalyptic: Kremlin Spokesman
Commander of Artsakh Defense Army Mikayel Arzumanyan Relieved of Duties
US Envoy to Armenia Says they do not Consider Karabakh Conflict to be Resolved
Armenia Records 248397 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases