A Letter to Zuckerberg: Paris Attacks Caused Facebook Debates
''Dear Mark Zuckerberg, I would like an option to change my Facebook profile picture to the colour of the following flags:
1. The Federal Republic of Nigeria - 3500+ dead from Boko Haram attacks this year alone
2. The Lebanese Republic - 43+ people killed/wounded from yesterday's bombing
3. Syrian Arab Republic - 4million refugees from the war that has lasted since 2013 and the countless deaths
4. The Republic of Kenya - for the 147+ students killed at Garissa University for April 2015 terrorist attacks
5. For the Palestinians, Pakistanis,Central African people, Burundians, Congolese whose casualties have gone into millions of lives due to war, political unrest and terrorism.''
This is a letter written to the young Facebook founder by an African user who felt aggrieved when following the tragic events in Paris, Zuckerberg offered an option to other Facebook users with his own example, to try France's flag on the profile picture in order to support French people.
"Facebook has 1.5 billion users from ALL OVER THE WORLD, and yet only shows solidarity when White Western Bodies are afflicted. It is offensive that this is allowed to happen.
Black and Arab bodies matter too, and are constantly violated while the world remains silent'', - another angry Facebook user writes, thus comparing the possibility of changing the flag to kind of racism and discrimination.
Another critic strongly condemned all the Facebook public for ''not feeling sorry for the blood and sweat of the "third-class" countries’ people, while the entire world is shocked when elite French men are suddenly killed while entertaining themselves in restaurants or concert halls''.
''The option to change my profile only to France's flag is sub-standard and flawed thinking that reinforces the value of some bodies over others'', - writes another irritated Facebook user.
Meanwhile the Armenian society could not remain indifferent to all this, either. In addition to mentioning Syrian and Lebanese terror attacks regularly and parallelly, they were also very much irritated by the fact that just a day before Paris events two young Armenian soldiers were killed on the Artsakh-Azerbaijani border from the opponent's bullets, but it didn’t have so intense and widespread media coverage like the events in France. Therefore, many Armenians were organizing an anti-action in Facebook by trying their own Armenian flags on the profile pictures.
However, in this context, one of the social media and Facebook experts, in particular, told that the issue has nothing to do either with apartheid or any bias. "It’s all about the media-image" he explained, - "If God forbid the same thing would be happening in Paris for a long time as it is happening in Syria for several years already, an ordinary reader would quickly get used to it and treat it as a mere statistic. No more." But since such horrible events in France caused a real shock to the public, in contrast to the everyday shaky situation in the Middle East, it all turned into a real social chaos and panic.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
The new Stepanakert Substation of 110/35/10 kW Capability Will Be Put Into Commission in 2021
Armenia Presents 2nd UN SDGs Voluntary National Review Report
Emergency Situation is Extended in Artsakh
Defense Army Denies Azerbaijani Media Report
Azerbaijan Made Over 150 Ceasefire Violations at Artsakh Line of Contact
Resident Sarkissian Visits Gandzasar Monastery in Artsakh (Video)
Artsakh President: Turkish Authorities Reaffirm their Xenophobic Behavior Towards Civilizations
Erdogan Calls on Everyone to Respect Turkey's Decision
Armenia Records 31392 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Commemoration of Christ’s twelve Apostles and Thirteenth Apostle - St. Paul
Artsakh Republic President Met with Armenian Former Defense Minister
US House Panel Implicitly Backs Artsakh Aid
Garo Paylan on Turkish Government's Decision to Convert Hagia Sophia into Mosque
Armenia’s President Met with Artsakh's Ex-President
PM Addresses Security Council with a Message on National Security Strategy
Turkish Council of State Reverses Decree of Hagia Sophia’s Museum Status
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the President of Artsakh Araik Harutyunian
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Spoke on the Phone with the Chairman of the SJC
Italy Bans Entry from 13 Countries Due to Coronavirus Fears
Karen Bekaryan: Nikol Pashinyan Has Forgotten that His Mission Is to Represent and Advocate the Interests of His Country
Ancient Armenian Church Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
The Authorities of the Republic of Artsakh Confirm Their Determination to Seek the Restoration of the Territorial Integrity of the Republic: Artsakh MFA
Statement by the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh on the Occasion of the 28th Anniversary of the Occupation of the Shahumian Region
Wind: 9 km/h