A Letter to Zuckerberg: Paris Attacks Caused Facebook Debates
''Dear Mark Zuckerberg, I would like an option to change my Facebook profile picture to the colour of the following flags:
1. The Federal Republic of Nigeria - 3500+ dead from Boko Haram attacks this year alone
2. The Lebanese Republic - 43+ people killed/wounded from yesterday's bombing
3. Syrian Arab Republic - 4million refugees from the war that has lasted since 2013 and the countless deaths
4. The Republic of Kenya - for the 147+ students killed at Garissa University for April 2015 terrorist attacks
5. For the Palestinians, Pakistanis,Central African people, Burundians, Congolese whose casualties have gone into millions of lives due to war, political unrest and terrorism.''
This is a letter written to the young Facebook founder by an African user who felt aggrieved when following the tragic events in Paris, Zuckerberg offered an option to other Facebook users with his own example, to try France's flag on the profile picture in order to support French people.
"Facebook has 1.5 billion users from ALL OVER THE WORLD, and yet only shows solidarity when White Western Bodies are afflicted. It is offensive that this is allowed to happen.
Black and Arab bodies matter too, and are constantly violated while the world remains silent'', - another angry Facebook user writes, thus comparing the possibility of changing the flag to kind of racism and discrimination.
Another critic strongly condemned all the Facebook public for ''not feeling sorry for the blood and sweat of the "third-class" countries’ people, while the entire world is shocked when elite French men are suddenly killed while entertaining themselves in restaurants or concert halls''.
''The option to change my profile only to France's flag is sub-standard and flawed thinking that reinforces the value of some bodies over others'', - writes another irritated Facebook user.
Meanwhile the Armenian society could not remain indifferent to all this, either. In addition to mentioning Syrian and Lebanese terror attacks regularly and parallelly, they were also very much irritated by the fact that just a day before Paris events two young Armenian soldiers were killed on the Artsakh-Azerbaijani border from the opponent's bullets, but it didn’t have so intense and widespread media coverage like the events in France. Therefore, many Armenians were organizing an anti-action in Facebook by trying their own Armenian flags on the profile pictures.
However, in this context, one of the social media and Facebook experts, in particular, told that the issue has nothing to do either with apartheid or any bias. "It’s all about the media-image" he explained, - "If God forbid the same thing would be happening in Paris for a long time as it is happening in Syria for several years already, an ordinary reader would quickly get used to it and treat it as a mere statistic. No more." But since such horrible events in France caused a real shock to the public, in contrast to the everyday shaky situation in the Middle East, it all turned into a real social chaos and panic.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
Artsakh Defense Army Publishes Names of Other Killed 11 Servicemen
Lee Kun-hee, Samsung’s Chairman, Dies at 78
Our people in Nagorno-Karabakh Will Live in Freedom, in Dignity, in Safety, and in Security- Armenian FM
France recalls Ambassador from Turkey
Armenia Records 77837 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
During the Night, the Situation on the Artsakh-Azerbaijani Conflict Zone Remained Relatively Stable, but Tense
During the Night of October 24, Azerbaijan Continued Bombarding Armenian Settlements
Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Artsakh Appealed to the ICRC in Connection with the Publication of Videos of Servicemen of Defense Army of the Republic of Artsakh and a Civilian
Artsrun Hovhannisyan Presented Interactive Map of Military Actions (video)
Today the Situation in Different Sectors of the Frontline Was Not Too Tense
Armenia's Foreign Minister Met with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Are Attempting Offensive Operations in Armenian Armed Forces Uniforms
Artsakh Army Destroys another Azerbaijani UAV
Friends of Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh Should React Immediately. Armen Sarkissian's Interview to Al-Ahram
During the Day Azerbaijan Has Constantly Kept Peaceful Settlements in the Republic of Artsakh under Fire
Azerbaijan Is Openly and Ostentatiously Undermining the Efforts of International Mediators to End the Aggression: Artsakh MFA
Guatemala’s Sayaxché Recognizes Right to Self-Determination of People of Artsakh
Azerbaijan's Statement About Shooting Down Armenian Aircraft Absolute Lie – Armenia’s MOD
Greece Will Increase the Number of Professional Servicemen in the Army Amid Tensions with Turkey
Karabakh Defense Army destroys enemy's TOS-1 heavy artillery system (video)
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
Despite Your Best Efforts, Turkey, Azerbaijan... We Will Never Be Annihilated: Alexis Ohanian
Kim Kardashian donates 1 million USD to "Hayastan" All Armenian Fund
Armen Knyazyan is Awarded with the Highest title of the "Hero of Artsakh"
Turkish Prosecutor General's Office Launches Procedure to Deprive Armenian MP Garo Paylan of Immunity
We Hope Armenians Will Be Able to Defend Against what Azerbaijanis are Doing – Pompeo
Experts of the Human Rights Defender’s Office Have Identified Location and Time of Azerbaijani Criminal Ativities Towards Armenian Prisoners of War
Emmanuel Macron Proposes New Talks on Nagorno-Karabakh
MFA Spokesperson Statement in Response to the Statement by the EEAS Spokesperson on the So-Called "Strikes on the City of Ganja"
Wind: 5 km/h