A Letter to Zuckerberg: Paris Attacks Caused Facebook Debates
''Dear Mark Zuckerberg, I would like an option to change my Facebook profile picture to the colour of the following flags:
1. The Federal Republic of Nigeria - 3500+ dead from Boko Haram attacks this year alone
2. The Lebanese Republic - 43+ people killed/wounded from yesterday's bombing
3. Syrian Arab Republic - 4million refugees from the war that has lasted since 2013 and the countless deaths
4. The Republic of Kenya - for the 147+ students killed at Garissa University for April 2015 terrorist attacks
5. For the Palestinians, Pakistanis,Central African people, Burundians, Congolese whose casualties have gone into millions of lives due to war, political unrest and terrorism.''
This is a letter written to the young Facebook founder by an African user who felt aggrieved when following the tragic events in Paris, Zuckerberg offered an option to other Facebook users with his own example, to try France's flag on the profile picture in order to support French people.
"Facebook has 1.5 billion users from ALL OVER THE WORLD, and yet only shows solidarity when White Western Bodies are afflicted. It is offensive that this is allowed to happen.
Black and Arab bodies matter too, and are constantly violated while the world remains silent'', - another angry Facebook user writes, thus comparing the possibility of changing the flag to kind of racism and discrimination.
Another critic strongly condemned all the Facebook public for ''not feeling sorry for the blood and sweat of the "third-class" countries’ people, while the entire world is shocked when elite French men are suddenly killed while entertaining themselves in restaurants or concert halls''.
''The option to change my profile only to France's flag is sub-standard and flawed thinking that reinforces the value of some bodies over others'', - writes another irritated Facebook user.
Meanwhile the Armenian society could not remain indifferent to all this, either. In addition to mentioning Syrian and Lebanese terror attacks regularly and parallelly, they were also very much irritated by the fact that just a day before Paris events two young Armenian soldiers were killed on the Artsakh-Azerbaijani border from the opponent's bullets, but it didn’t have so intense and widespread media coverage like the events in France. Therefore, many Armenians were organizing an anti-action in Facebook by trying their own Armenian flags on the profile pictures.
However, in this context, one of the social media and Facebook experts, in particular, told that the issue has nothing to do either with apartheid or any bias. "It’s all about the media-image" he explained, - "If God forbid the same thing would be happening in Paris for a long time as it is happening in Syria for several years already, an ordinary reader would quickly get used to it and treat it as a mere statistic. No more." But since such horrible events in France caused a real shock to the public, in contrast to the everyday shaky situation in the Middle East, it all turned into a real social chaos and panic.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
Kim Jong Un Supervises Another N. Korean Military Drill
Hong Kong Court Rules Face Mask Ban Unconstitutional
Armenia State Revenue Committee, Iran And Georgia Customs Services Sign Document
About 1000 Protesters Detained in Iran
Opposition Wins No Seats in Belarus Election
US Backs 'Peaceful Protests' in Iran
Protesters Block Entrance to Iraq's Umm Qasr Port
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Tokyo 2020 Bouquets
Anti-Government Protest Took Place In Prague
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
PM chairs Defense Ministry Board Meeting at Ministry of Defense Headquarters
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
PM chairs Security Council Meeting
Artsakh President Receives Armenian CB Delegation
Azerbaijan Breaches Karabakh Ceasefire 210 Times in One Week
PM: All Citizens of Armenia Need to View State Budget as Family Budget
Kazakhstan is Eager to See Investments Coming from Armenia
We are with you, Venice – Armenian Embassy
Armenian Team Loses, Deprived of Opportunity to Take Part in Euro-2020
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 4 km/h