Leading ISIS Commander Killed in Iraqi Airstrike
One of ISIS's top commanders is believed to have been killed by an Iraqi airstrike in the city of Barwana, the country's army has said.
Nasser Mohammed al-Obeidi was the second deputy of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and in charge of the terror group's operations in western Iraq and eastern Syria, Iraq's Joint Operations Command said.
Obeidi was once a brigade commander for former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's special forces unit, the Republican Guards.
He was also a fugitive from Abu Ghraib prison and a former prisoner in Camp Bucca, a spokesman of the Iraqi Joint Operations Command, Col. Mohammed Ibrahim, told CNN.
The United States led coalition has announced similar killings. Obeidi's alleged death comes just days after ISIS's chief spokesman in Iraq, Abu Mohammed al-Adnani, was said to be severely wounded in another airstrike.
Al-Adnani, earmarked as the group's next leader, was reported as having lost 'a large amount of blood' after being hit in the town of Barwanah, in the Anbar province, yesterday.
He was moved to the city of Hit for initial treatment before being transferred to Mosul flanked by security guards, CNN reported.
A spokesman for Iraq's Joint Operations Command confirmed that they had been following Adnani's movements for well over a month before he was injured on Thursday in what is believed to have been a targeted attack.
Adnani is considered the terror network's most prominent public figure in Iraq, having made several audio recordings which have been posted online.
Adnani was held in custody - believed to have been at the American detention facility, Camp Bucca - after being captured by US troops in 2005, remaining a prisoner until 2010.
In June of that year, he declared a 'caliphate' for parts of Syria and Iraq indicating ISIS' aim of not just being a terrorist group, but a governing body.
- Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader He is also known by the nom de guerre Haji Abdullah, and in some circles as Abdullah Qardash – although Iraqi officials suggest the latter was a separate Isis figure who died two years ago.
- Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries The issue of the handling of Daesh/ISIS members and their families detained in Syria -- including foreign members of the terror group -- has been controversial, with Turkey arguing foreign-born terrorists...
- US Knows 'Almost Nothing' about New ISIS Leader The announcement of the new leader came in an audio message released last week by a new ISIS spokesperson, after Abu Hassan al-Muhajir, the spokesperson and right-hand man to Baghdadi, was also killed,...
- Erdogan Says Turkey has Captured Baghdadi's Wife A senior Turkish official said earlier this week that Turkey had captured Baghdadi’s sister, her husband and daughter.
- Newsweek Reveals Name of Likely Successor to Dead Islamic State Group’s Leader Abdullah Qardash, sometimes spelled Kardesh and also known as Hajji Abdullah al-Afari, was said to have been nominated by Baghdadi in August to run the group's "Muslim affairs" in a widely-circulated statement...
There Are no Clearly Defined Dates for the Armenian and Azerbaijani Leaders' Meeting: Armenia's FM
Iranian MP Offers $3 Million Reward for 'Whoever Kills Trump': ISNA
Armenian Lawmakers to Send Letter to German Bundestag Because of Azerbaijani Tenor
Erdogan Calls on Putin to Facilitate Ceasefire in Idlib
President of the State of Palestine Gave a Precious Gift to Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem
5 Day Weather forecast in Armenia
Trump's Impeachment Debate to Kick off Wednesday
Ex-Interpol Chief Meng Hongwei Sentenced to 13 Years in Jail
Saudi Military Opens First Women’s section
Armen Sarkissian Participated at the Opening of the World Economic Forum in Davos
Venezuela Crisis: Pompeo Pledges More US Support for Guaidó
Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader
President of Artsakh Attends Meeting of Defense Army’s Military Council
Some Roads in Armenia are Difficult to Pass
American Singer-Songwriter David Olney Died on Stage
Because of Azerbaijani Opera Singer's Attitude Armenian Soprano Expects Apologies from Opera Organizers
Artsakh’s General Elections to Take Place on March 31, 2020
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
Armen Sarkissian in Zurich Met with Representatives of the French Thales Group
Axios: "Birth Tourism" is Trump's Next Immigration Target
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
The Hill: Armenian Church of Iran Included in Trump's List which He Threatened to Target
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Armenia's Constitutional Court Has Been Working under Unprecedented Pressure for the Last 6-7 Months: CC President
Armenia's Speaker of Parliament Visited Several North-Eastern Border Positions to Congratulate on New Year
Wind: 6 km/h