Newsweek Reveals Name of Likely Successor to Dead Islamic State Group’s Leader
Back-to-back U.S. operations Saturday and Sunday have resulted in the deaths of Islamic State militant group (ISIS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and spokesperson Abu al-Hassan al-Muhajir in Syria, but the organization has already designated a successor, Newsweek has learned.
Abdullah Qardash, sometimes spelled Kardesh and also known as Hajji Abdullah al-Afari, was said to have been nominated by Baghdadi in August to run the group's "Muslim affairs" in a widely-circulated statement attributed to ISIS' official Amaq news outlet, but never publicly endorsed by the group. Though little is known about the former Iraqi military officer who once served under late leader Saddam Hussein, one regional intelligence official asking not to be identified by name or nation told Newsweek that Qardash would have taken over Baghdadi's role—though it had lost much of its significance by the time of his demise.
- Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader He is also known by the nom de guerre Haji Abdullah, and in some circles as Abdullah Qardash – although Iraqi officials suggest the latter was a separate Isis figure who died two years ago.
- Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries The issue of the handling of Daesh/ISIS members and their families detained in Syria -- including foreign members of the terror group -- has been controversial, with Turkey arguing foreign-born terrorists...
- US Knows 'Almost Nothing' about New ISIS Leader The announcement of the new leader came in an audio message released last week by a new ISIS spokesperson, after Abu Hassan al-Muhajir, the spokesperson and right-hand man to Baghdadi, was also killed,...
- Erdogan Says Turkey has Captured Baghdadi's Wife A senior Turkish official said earlier this week that Turkey had captured Baghdadi’s sister, her husband and daughter.
- Trump: ISIS is 'Totally under control' Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan agreed to a 120-hour ceasefire in northern Syria following a meeting with US Vice President Mike Pence.
Commemoration of the Apostles St. Thaddeus and St. Bartholomew, the First Preachers of Christianity in Armenia
At the Request of Erdogan,Putin Informed Him about the Main Results of the Trilateral Meeting of the Leaders of Russia, Azerbaijan and Armenia in Sochi
Armenia's Foreign Minister Met with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
Atrocities Committed by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces Against the Civilian Population of Artsakh Are a Continuation of the Policy of Armenophobia: MFA Spox
Putin, Erdogan Speak on the Phone
Foreign Minister of Armenia Met with the OSCE Secretary General
Kremlin Says Putin-Biden Talks to Be Held as Videoconference
Increasing Funding of Science Should Contribute Not Only to Salary Increases But Also to Achievement of Specific Results – Prime Minister
Such a Policy is Also a Severe Blow to Russia's Peacekeeping Mission: Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh
Azerbaijani Forces Kill Artsakh Civilian – Ombudsman
Cyprus Adopts Resolution Condemning Azerbaijani Aggression Against Armenians
Iran Nuclear Talks to Break on Friday with Formal Meeting -Officials
Artsakh Citizens Gets Lost, Crosses to Territory Under Azerbaijani Control
Foreign Minister Mélanie Joly expresses Canada’s Solidarity with Armenian People
Armen Sarkissian Received Members of the "5165 Movement" Karin Tonoyan and Menua Soghomonyan
Armenia MFA Spokesman: FMs Mirzoyan-Bayramov Meeting Pssible in Stockholm Today
Armenian President, Russian Ambassador Discuss Regional Security
5-Day Weather Forecastin Armenia
Armenian, Austrian FMs Discuss Protection of Artsakh's Cultural and Religious Heritage in Azeri- Controlled Territories
Artsakh Reports a Record Number of 178 Births in November
Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea
Armenian Scientists Become Eligible for the EU's Largest Funding Program
Man Detained near Shushi to Be Handed over to Artsakh Law Enforcement Agencies: Ombudsman
Artsakh National Security Service Releases Statement on Incident Near Shushi Checkpoint
Ararat Mirzoyan, Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne Discussed Peaceful Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict
West at Risk of Conflict with Russia, Britain's Army Chief Says
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Under the Guise of Unblocking the Roads, the Azerbaijani Authorities are Pursuing a Targeted Policy of Isolating the Civilian Residential Communities of Armenia: Tatoyan
Azerbaijan Forces Open Fire in the Direction of Armenian Positions in Verin Shorzha
Another Act of Vandalism Committed by Azerbaijanis (video)