Newsweek Reveals Name of Likely Successor to Dead Islamic State Group’s Leader
Back-to-back U.S. operations Saturday and Sunday have resulted in the deaths of Islamic State militant group (ISIS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and spokesperson Abu al-Hassan al-Muhajir in Syria, but the organization has already designated a successor, Newsweek has learned.
Abdullah Qardash, sometimes spelled Kardesh and also known as Hajji Abdullah al-Afari, was said to have been nominated by Baghdadi in August to run the group's "Muslim affairs" in a widely-circulated statement attributed to ISIS' official Amaq news outlet, but never publicly endorsed by the group. Though little is known about the former Iraqi military officer who once served under late leader Saddam Hussein, one regional intelligence official asking not to be identified by name or nation told Newsweek that Qardash would have taken over Baghdadi's role—though it had lost much of its significance by the time of his demise.
- Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader He is also known by the nom de guerre Haji Abdullah, and in some circles as Abdullah Qardash – although Iraqi officials suggest the latter was a separate Isis figure who died two years ago.
- Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries The issue of the handling of Daesh/ISIS members and their families detained in Syria -- including foreign members of the terror group -- has been controversial, with Turkey arguing foreign-born terrorists...
- US Knows 'Almost Nothing' about New ISIS Leader The announcement of the new leader came in an audio message released last week by a new ISIS spokesperson, after Abu Hassan al-Muhajir, the spokesperson and right-hand man to Baghdadi, was also killed,...
- Erdogan Says Turkey has Captured Baghdadi's Wife A senior Turkish official said earlier this week that Turkey had captured Baghdadi’s sister, her husband and daughter.
- Trump: ISIS is 'Totally under control' Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan agreed to a 120-hour ceasefire in northern Syria following a meeting with US Vice President Mike Pence.
Armenia's PM Hopes to Reach Arrangement with Russian President over Gas Price
Artsakh is Ready to Take all Necessary Measures of Self-Defense: Artsakh MFA
8 Coronavirus Patients in Armenia Are in Very Critical Condition
PM to Keep in Spotlight Capital Programs
Eduardo Eurnekian to Provide Armenia Government $250,000 to Help Fight Coronavirus
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Oil Falls After Saudi Arabia, Russia Delay Meeting
People Must Apply Until Monday 11:59pm for Customs Clearance of Cars Purchased in 2019 but not Imported to Armenia
PM Pashinyan Holds Phone Conversation with Vladimir Putin
Reuters: UK PM Johnson will Continue to Lead Government, Housing Minister Jenrick Says
Fitch Revises Outlook on Armenia to Negative; Affirms at 'BB-'
The Indian Express: Statue of Unity Put Up "For Sale" on OLX for COVID-19 Donations
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
BBC: PM Admitted to Hospital Over Virus Symptoms
Azerbaijan Violates Ceasefire, Wounds Artsakh Defense Army Soldier
Guardian: Ireland's PM Returns to Medical Practice to Help in Coronavirus Crisis
BBC: Tiger at Bronx Zoo Tests Positive For Covid-19
Armenia Records 833 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Trump Threatens Tariffs on Oil Imports
France24: Japan Expected to Declare State of Emergency Over Coronavirus
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Baku’s Refusal of the Illusions of Restoring Its ''Territorial Integrity'' Will Help to Proceed with the Peace Process: Artsakh MFA
Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the military incident at the Armenian-Azerbaijani border
Opening Armenia’s Embassy in Tel Aviv Contradicts with Interests of Palestinian Nation: Hossein Amir-Abdollahian
Wind: 5 km/h