Yaroslav Lisovolik: Yet There Are No Conditions for the Introduction of a Single Currency in the EAEU (EXCLUSIVE)
"Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Ph.D, Chief Economist at the Eurasian Development Bank (EDB) Yaroslav Lisovolik.
-More than a week ago the Minister in charge of the Development of Integration and Macroeconomics of the EEC Tatyana Valovaya expressed an idea that the introduction of single currency in the EAEU will end with a catastrophe. What is your opinion on this?
- This speaks about the fact that still there are no conditions for single currency in the EAEU. The introduction of a single currency in the absence of objective macroeconomic conditions is fraught with disintegration of a single currency area and other negative consequences for economic integration. At the moment, the issue of single currency in the EAEU countries is not on the agenda, and before the situation in this area changes in favor of currency integration, a sufficiently long period of successful macroeconomic policy coordination by all EAEU countries is needed, as well as reduction in macroeconomic imbalances, including Inflation, budget deficit and the level of public debt.
- Don’t you think that the absence of a single currency limits the pace and prospects for the development of such an economic integration union as the EAEU?
- I think that at the moment, the introduction of a single currency can generate more risks for growth than drivers. In order the introduction of a single currency became a factor of growth in our countries a long preparatory stage and strengthening of long-term fruits of economic integration and coordination of macroeconomic policies are needed. The example of the EU shows that even on the basis of the long preparation and experience of integration, after a fairly successful initial stage in the life of single currency, difficulties and challenges arose in the future related to the lack of balance in the integration processes and the macroeconomic policy carried out.
All this shows that at the moment our countries need to concentrate on reducing their economic imbalances, as well as on improving the coordination of economic policy, including in terms of ongoing anti-crisis measures.
- Armenia Stays Loyal to Its Two-Vector Integration Policy Reactions to Nikol Pashinyan's election as prime minister also testified the consistent work that had been carried out with both Russia and the West.
- Wine Can Become a National Armenian Brand for Export It is known that the main Armenian products that enter the Eurasian markets are high-quality Armenian cognac, which is a national brand and is exported mainly to Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, but in...
- EAEU and Iran May Sign a Free-Trade Agreement in 2018 "Negotiations with the EAEU are proceeding well. Iranian Ministry of Industry and Trade is negotiating, they are satisfied. I very much hope that we will see the signing of this agreement in 2018," he...
- Armenia Shows the Best Results in the EAEU: the Eurasian Expert Club Sums up the Results of the Year During the annual conference certificates were presented to five new members of the Eurasian Expert Club, as well as gratitude certificates to the representatives of ten Armenian media for objective coverage...
- Armenia's Integration Processes in 2017 This year, by signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU, Armenia has finally implemented its "both and" policy.
Berlin Regrets Azerbaijan's Decision to Ban German Parliamentarian from Entering the Country Due to His Visit to Karabakh
Trump: Would Consider Lifting Russia Sanctions For Concession On Ukraine, Syria
Financial Times: Brussels to Act Against Tech Groups over Terror Content
Pope Francis Writes to Catholics Worldwide over Sexual Abuse
Armenia Defense Minister Travels to Moscow
European Commissioner: Brexit Vote Could In Theory Be Reversed
Search Conducted in Armenia 2nd President’s Mansion
Trump: Israel will Have a PM Named Mohammed if no Deal
Greece Emerges from Eurozone Bailout Programme
Putin: It is Extremely Important to Preserve Iranian Nuclear Deal
EU: There is a Lot of Potential to Further Increase Usage of GSP+ with Armenia
U.S. Government Trying to Force Facebook to Break Encryption
Erdogan Reelected as Chairman of Justice and Development Party
Merkel and Putin Discuss Ukraine, Nord Stream-2 at ''Serious, Detailed'' talks
Kofi Annan, Former UN Secretary General, Dies
Yerevan City Council Early Elections to be Held on September 23
Artsakh Republic President Met with the General Staff of the Republic of Armenia Armed Forces
Trump: US Will Pay Nothing for Pastor
Turkey Arrests Another German Citizen
Angela Merkel to Visit Armenia Next Week
New Wave of Hysteria Raised in Azerbaijan Due to the Possible Visit of Russian Singer with Armenian Surname
Artsakh Republic President Sahakyan, Minister Minasyan Discuss Economic Cooperation Between Artsakh and Armenia
Robert Kocharyan Released: Court of Appeals Approves Attorneys’ Appeal
Armenia PM: Every Penny Stolen from People Will be Returned
Israel: All the Citizens are Equal, but Jews are More Than Equal
"We are Gure to Gain a Victory in our Common Mission" – Nikol Pashinyan Attends Event Dedicated to Armenian General Athletic Union Centenary
Greens Call for New Zealand's Parliament to Recognise Armenian Genocide
Foreign Minister of South Ossetia Congratulated on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment of the MFA of the Republic of Artsakh
Artsakh MFA Received Congratulatory Message from Abkhazia MFA on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Coordinator of the "Congress of Refugees from the Azerbaijani SSR" NGO
Wind: 17.70 km/h