U.S. Sounds Abbas Out on Palestinian-Jordan Confederation
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas told a group of Israeli lawmakers and activists on Sunday that President Donald Trump’s negotiating team had asked whether he would agree to a confederation with neighboring Jordan, Bloomberg reports.
Peace Now’s executive director Shaqued Morag, who attended the meeting, said Abbas told the U.S. that he would agree to a trilateral confederation that includes Israel. Decades ago, Israeli officials mooted the notion of a confederation between the Palestinians and Jordan, but not one that would include Israel. Israeli government spokesmen couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
A statement from Abbas’s office said the president emphasized in the meeting that “peace must be reached no matter how great the challenges and difficulties it faces.” The statement didn’t mention a confederation proposal. Mohammed al Madani, head of communication with the Israeli society, declined to elaborate.
A confederacy with Jordan would likely mean an end to Palestinian aspirations for independence. The idea has long been advocated by Israelis who are generally opposed to an independent Palestinian state. Gideon Sa’ar, a member of the Likud party, recently floated it as a way to leave the Palestinians with less than full sovereignty.
- Netanyahu: Rocket Attacks Make New War in Gaza Inevitable The Israeli leader has been criticized for failing to respond harshly to the rockets, which have been frequently sending residents of southern Israel scurrying for cover.
- UN Chief Denounces Netanyahu’s Plans to Annex Parts of West Bank Netanyahu said in a televised address that in case he was reelected he would apply Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan valley and the northern part of the Dead Sea.
- Hezbollah Leader Says Israeli Army to Face Quick Retaliation to Drone 'Attack' in Beirut Nasrallah’s comments also followed overnight strikes claimed by Israel that he said killed two Lebanese Hezbollah fighters in Syria.
- Israel Begins Demolishing Palestinian Homes near Separation Wall The Israeli Supreme Court ruled in favour of the military last month, ending a seven-year legal battle, and set Monday as the deadline to knock down the homes.
- Trump Administration Preparing to Roll out Kushner’s Israeli-Palestinian "Peace Plan": Sources Potential causes for delay could include the upcoming holidays of Passover and Ramadan.
Salaries of 200,000-300,000 People to be Raised From January 1, 2020: Pashinyan
President of Artsakh Holds Meeting with Representatives of Armenian Assembly of America
Ministry of Economy 2020 Budget Allocation Bid Discussed in Government
Hong Kong Formally Scraps Extradition Bill that Sparked Protests
Iraqi Defense Minister: US Troops Leaving Syria will Depart Iraq within 4 Weeks
First-time Pediatric Living-Donor Liver Transplantation Pperformed in Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
U.K. Police Launch Murder Probe after 39 Bodies Found in Truck
President Sarkissian Meets with Speaker of Senate of Uzbekistan in Tokyo
Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan Received Martha Mensoian
Armenian Defense Ministry’s Delegation Departs for Moscow
OSCE Monitoring on the Border of Artsakh and Azerbaijan
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met with the Delegation of the Armenian Assembly of America
PM Receives Delegation Led by Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Regional Council President
Armenia, India to Deepen Cooperation in Technology
Grand Swiss: Armenian Chess Players’ Results
"Germany will Continue to Assist Armenia with Reforms" - PM Receives German Ambassador Banzhaf
CISM World Games: Armenian Gymnasts Reach Final
Nairi Hunanyan to Get Response Over his Parole Application Till December 1
Armenia Considers it Inappropriate to Participate in summit of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
I've Heard about Blood-Thirsty Turks since I Was 11: Cher Reminded about Armenian Genocide and Condemned Ankara’s Operations in Syria
Citizens of Syria, Lebanon and Iraq Allowed to Obtain Armenian Passports in Their Countries Till Dec. 31
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Bako Sahakyan Receives Russia’s State Duma Member Konstantin Zatulin
ANCA thanks Kim Kardashian for raising Armenia's worldwide recognition
Kim Kardashian Baptized in Armenia's Etchmiadzin: Christian Name Heghine
''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to Meet Again under Co-Chair Auspices before the End of the Year: OSCE MG Statement
Armenia’s PM Condemns Distortion of History by Azerbaijani President, Describes it As Disrespect Toward Armenia and Heads of CIS Countries
Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson on Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev's Speech at Valdai Discussion Club
Wind: 6 km/h