U.S. Sounds Abbas Out on Palestinian-Jordan Confederation
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas told a group of Israeli lawmakers and activists on Sunday that President Donald Trump’s negotiating team had asked whether he would agree to a confederation with neighboring Jordan, Bloomberg reports.
Peace Now’s executive director Shaqued Morag, who attended the meeting, said Abbas told the U.S. that he would agree to a trilateral confederation that includes Israel. Decades ago, Israeli officials mooted the notion of a confederation between the Palestinians and Jordan, but not one that would include Israel. Israeli government spokesmen couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
A statement from Abbas’s office said the president emphasized in the meeting that “peace must be reached no matter how great the challenges and difficulties it faces.” The statement didn’t mention a confederation proposal. Mohammed al Madani, head of communication with the Israeli society, declined to elaborate.
A confederacy with Jordan would likely mean an end to Palestinian aspirations for independence. The idea has long been advocated by Israelis who are generally opposed to an independent Palestinian state. Gideon Sa’ar, a member of the Likud party, recently floated it as a way to leave the Palestinians with less than full sovereignty.
- Israel Strikes Hamas Targets in Gaza The Israeli military force noted that targets included "weapons and underground infrastructure" belonging to Hamas.
- 'Will not Pass': Palestinian Leader Abbas Rejects Trump's Plan Abbas rejected the deal before it was announced saying the US was hopelessly biased towards Israel.
- Trump Says will Release Middle East Peace Plan by Tuesday Speaking to reporters on Air Force One en route to Miami for a political event, Trump said Palestinians might react negatively to his plan at first, but that it would benefit them.
- Benjamin Netanyahu Rushed Offstage as Rocket Fired from Gaza into Israel (video) Meanwhile, the Israeli military confirmed that the Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted one rocket fired from the Strip.
- Brazil to Move Embassy to Jerusalem The Brazilian president said both before and after he was elected that he would move the embassy, but backed down from the promise earlier this year.
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Arayik Harutyunyan Signed a Decree on the 2020 Summer Draft and Demobilization
US Breaks All Ties With WHO, will no longer Finance It — Trump
Armenia Citizens Holding Ordinary Passports Can Travel to China Without Visa as of Monday
President Sarkissian Congratulates Croatia’s Milanović on Statehood Day
Armenia Records 8927 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Austrian Parliament Ratifies Armenia-EU Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement
Artsakh Parliamentary Speaker Responds to Azerbaijan's Statements
RA Prime Minister Offers Condolences to President of Spanish Government
Armenia to Reach Italy's Figures if Tempo of Spread of Coronavirus Remains Unchanged: Armenia's PM
Artsakh President Instructs Reappointed FM to Intensify Work on Foreign Policy Front
Yerevan Zoo Will be Closed for Visitors on Children’s Day
Yerevan-Brussels-Yerevan Regular Flights to Resume on June 27
ECHR Delivers Advisory Opinion on Robert Kocharyan’s Case
Armenia PM Signs New Decision
Armenian President Offers Condolences to King Felipe VI of Spain
Artsakh President: There Can Phased Solution to Conflict But Only in One Option
Kamo Aghajanyan Appointed Director of National Security Service of Artsakh
David Babayan is Appointed Karabakh Presidential Adviser
Karabakh President to Azerbaijan Counterpart: Have You Chosen Path to Solving Issue Through Force?
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
Armenian Values and Upbringing Always Helped Me: Paul Ignatius, Former US Navy Minister
Trump Nominates Patrick Hovakimian as National Intelligence General Counsel
Armenians Caused the Coronavirus to Plague Us: Garo Paylan Raised the Issue of Attack on Armenian Church in Turkey
David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song
Trilateral Ceasefire Agreement Signed Between NKR, Armenia and Azerbaijan: 26 Years Have Passed
Azerbaijan Informed neither Armenia, nor International Organizations about the Military Exercises: RA Defense Ministry Spokesperson
Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin
Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country
The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky
Wind: 5 km/h