U.S. Sounds Abbas Out on Palestinian-Jordan Confederation
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas told a group of Israeli lawmakers and activists on Sunday that President Donald Trump’s negotiating team had asked whether he would agree to a confederation with neighboring Jordan, Bloomberg reports.
Peace Now’s executive director Shaqued Morag, who attended the meeting, said Abbas told the U.S. that he would agree to a trilateral confederation that includes Israel. Decades ago, Israeli officials mooted the notion of a confederation between the Palestinians and Jordan, but not one that would include Israel. Israeli government spokesmen couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
A statement from Abbas’s office said the president emphasized in the meeting that “peace must be reached no matter how great the challenges and difficulties it faces.” The statement didn’t mention a confederation proposal. Mohammed al Madani, head of communication with the Israeli society, declined to elaborate.
A confederacy with Jordan would likely mean an end to Palestinian aspirations for independence. The idea has long been advocated by Israelis who are generally opposed to an independent Palestinian state. Gideon Sa’ar, a member of the Likud party, recently floated it as a way to leave the Palestinians with less than full sovereignty.
- Australia Recognises West Jerusalem as Israeli Capital The status of Jerusalem is one of the most contested issues between Israel and the Palestinians.
- UN Rejects US-Drafted Resolution to Condemn Hamas The resolution required two-thirds support and while Assembly resolutions are non-binding, they can carry political weight.
- Northern Shield: Israel Launches Operation on Lebanon Border The Israel Defense Force announced the discovery of the tunnels on Tuesday morning, and has started destroying them, dubbing the operation Northern Shield.
- Netanyahu Rushes Back to Israel after Burst of Gaza Violence Netanyahu's office said he cut short a visit to Paris because of the flare-up and he was set to arrive back in Israel on Monday morning.
- Palestine Liberation Organization Votes to Suspend Recognition of State of Israel In the decision, announced after a meeting late Monday, the PLO said it will halt all its commitments to the "occupation authorities" until Israel recognises a Palestinian state within the 1967 borders...
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Robert Kocharyan to Remain in Jail for Another 2 Months
On the Very First Day of His Arrival in Yerevan Lapshin Got Threats from Azerbaijan
January of 1990 Divided the Lives of Baku Armenians into Before and After
Freedom House: Armenia Is A Country With "Free" Net
Turkey Warns Syrian Army against Entering Manbij
The Chairpersons of Eleven Standing Committees of NA of Armenia Are Elected
Artsakh MPs Release Statement on 29th Anniversary of 1990 Pogroms in Baku
Krakow Will Host the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2019
Armenian President Sarkissian Played Tennis with His Wife (VIDEO)
Armen Sarkissian Hailed Sheikh Sultan Bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi’s Special attention towards the Armenian People
I Owe a Live Broadcast on the Government Structure: Nikol Pashinyan
Trump Cancels US Delegation's Trip to Davos
António Guterres Welcomes Paris Meeting of Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs
Some Roads in Armenia are Cosed and Difficult to Pass
EU to Allocate Armenia 732 Million Euros for Transport Projects
Georgia’s President is Declining Her Official Salary and will Continue to Live on Her French Pension
Tension between Russia and Azerbaijan: Armenians to Be Blamed?
Only 2/3 of Cabinet Members will be Appointed in the Near Future - Nikol Pashinyan Refers to Government Formation
Preparing for Peace? Stepanakert Responded to OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Statement
Congratulatory Address by Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on New Year and Christmas Holidays (VIDEO)
Erdogan Officially Declared 2019 as the Year of Armenian Portasar
His Holiness Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians Sends a Message on the Occasion of the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ
James Mattis to step down as US defence secretary after announcing he can no longer support Donald Trump
Nikol Pashinyan:"We Have Erased the Borderline Between Armenia and the Diaspora Because our Main Task is to Create Opportunities for Everyone"
As the Leader of the Country that Chairs the International Organization of La Francophonie, Nikol Pashinyan Signs OIF Secretary General’s Employment Contract
Artsakh Republic President Addressed Congratulatory Message on the Occasion of New Year and Christmas Holidays
Meeting between Pashinyan and Belarusian candidate for CSTO Secretary general not Planned: Arman Yeghoyan
Eve of Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Candlelight (Lucernarium) Divine Liturgy
Pompeo: US Withdrawal from Syria doesn't Change Mission to Destroy ISIS and Stop Iran's Influence in the Mideast