U.S. Sounds Abbas Out on Palestinian-Jordan Confederation
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas told a group of Israeli lawmakers and activists on Sunday that President Donald Trump’s negotiating team had asked whether he would agree to a confederation with neighboring Jordan, Bloomberg reports.
Peace Now’s executive director Shaqued Morag, who attended the meeting, said Abbas told the U.S. that he would agree to a trilateral confederation that includes Israel. Decades ago, Israeli officials mooted the notion of a confederation between the Palestinians and Jordan, but not one that would include Israel. Israeli government spokesmen couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
A statement from Abbas’s office said the president emphasized in the meeting that “peace must be reached no matter how great the challenges and difficulties it faces.” The statement didn’t mention a confederation proposal. Mohammed al Madani, head of communication with the Israeli society, declined to elaborate.
A confederacy with Jordan would likely mean an end to Palestinian aspirations for independence. The idea has long been advocated by Israelis who are generally opposed to an independent Palestinian state. Gideon Sa’ar, a member of the Likud party, recently floated it as a way to leave the Palestinians with less than full sovereignty.
- Netanyahu Rushes Back to Israel after Burst of Gaza Violence Netanyahu's office said he cut short a visit to Paris because of the flare-up and he was set to arrive back in Israel on Monday morning.
- Palestine Liberation Organization Votes to Suspend Recognition of State of Israel In the decision, announced after a meeting late Monday, the PLO said it will halt all its commitments to the "occupation authorities" until Israel recognises a Palestinian state within the 1967 borders...
- Israel Strikes Gaza in Response to Rocket Attack on Be’er Sheva One Palestinian man was killed, according to Gaza health officials, and three Palestinians were injured in earlier airstrikes on militant targets in Rafah, in southern Gaza.
- Palestine Takes US to International Court of Justice over Jerusalem Embassy Move The Palestinian suit requests the court "to order the United States of America to withdraw (its) diplomatic mission from the Holy City of Jerusalem."
- EU Vows to Keep Backing UNRWA after Trump Scraps US Financial Aid It also urged the US to reconsider the decision to halt funding for the United Nations relief and works agency for Palestinian refugees.
APEC Fails to Issue Joint Statement Amid US-China Tensions
Bako Sahakyan Met In Los Angeles With Armenian Philanthropists
Trump Says Report on Khashoggi Death Expected in a Few Days
200 Injured During Paris Protests
Stepantsminda-Larsi Highway Is Closed
Saudi Crown Prince Is Blamed For The Assassination Of Khashoggi
Artsakh Reports More Azerbaijani Ceasefire Violations Over Past Week
Armenian President, Italian Global Leading Aerospace, Defense Company CEO Discuss Opportunities for Cooperation
Sasna Tsrer Party Conducting Automobile Race to Karabakh
UEFA Nations League: Armenia Beats Gibraltar 6:2
Armenia Acting PM to Demand Explanations from Belarus, Kazakhstan Presidents
Bako Sahakyan arrives in U.S. on working visit
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Phone Conversation with Vladimir Putin
Nikol Pashinyan Visited Military Base (photos)
France Prepares Transport and Customs Measures in Case of No-Brexit Deal
Chinese Premier: China Ready to Boost Trade With Russia
Armenia Ombudsman Prepares Special Report on Shooting towards Armenian Border Villages by Azerbaijani Side
Special Task Force to be Set Up To Deal with Possible Violations during Snap parliamentary Elections
California Wildfire Death Toll Grows with Hundreds Missing
Brexit: I am Going to See This Through, Says Theresa May
Azerbaijan Wants to Return Askerov and Guliyev to Make them Heroes as it Happened with Safarov - Babayan
Nikol Pashinyan’s Working Visit to Lebanon Kicks off - Acting Armenian PM, Lebanese President Meet in Beirut
Artsakh: Congratulatory Address to Catholicos of the Holy See of Cilicia Aram I on the 50th Anniversary of Ordination to Priesthood
A Snake Slithering out of Israel's Western Wall is Being Regarded as a Third Sign that the End of the World is Nigh
President of Artsakh Holds Working Consultation with Chairmen of Parliamentary Standing Committees and Heads of Factions
Genadi Tavaratsyan Has Been Appointed As Head of the National Defense Research University of the Defense Ministry
Nikol Pashinyan: "We are a Country That has its Unique Place on the Global Map of Information Technology"
President Anticipates Active Participation of the International Financial Institutions to the Implementation of Different Programs in our Country
Declaration of Friendship Signed between Shekher Community of Artsakh and Arnouville Community of France
Would-be Suicide Bomber Called 911 to Notify About Intentions Before Attempting to Enter Government HQ
Wind: 8.05 km/h