U.S. Sounds Abbas Out on Palestinian-Jordan Confederation
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas told a group of Israeli lawmakers and activists on Sunday that President Donald Trump’s negotiating team had asked whether he would agree to a confederation with neighboring Jordan, Bloomberg reports.
Peace Now’s executive director Shaqued Morag, who attended the meeting, said Abbas told the U.S. that he would agree to a trilateral confederation that includes Israel. Decades ago, Israeli officials mooted the notion of a confederation between the Palestinians and Jordan, but not one that would include Israel. Israeli government spokesmen couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
A statement from Abbas’s office said the president emphasized in the meeting that “peace must be reached no matter how great the challenges and difficulties it faces.” The statement didn’t mention a confederation proposal. Mohammed al Madani, head of communication with the Israeli society, declined to elaborate.
A confederacy with Jordan would likely mean an end to Palestinian aspirations for independence. The idea has long been advocated by Israelis who are generally opposed to an independent Palestinian state. Gideon Sa’ar, a member of the Likud party, recently floated it as a way to leave the Palestinians with less than full sovereignty.
- EU Vows to Keep Backing UNRWA after Trump Scraps US Financial Aid It also urged the US to reconsider the decision to halt funding for the United Nations relief and works agency for Palestinian refugees.
- Trump: Israel will Have a PM Named Mohammed if no Deal Abdullah urged Trump not to present the administration’s peace plan. "There are too many difficulties right now. We don’t have to hurry with presenting the American peace plan," he reportedly said.
- Israel: All the Citizens are Equal, but Jews are More Than Equal The adoption of such a law naturally cannot but cause serious dissatisfaction among the Arabs of Israel who constitute 20% of the 8 million population of the country, as well as among the Palestinian Authorities.
- Hamas and Israel Agree to Return to a Ceasefire in Gaza Hamas said on Wednesday that armed groups in the Gaza Strip had agreed to a deal with Israel following a night of air strikes targeting several Hamas and Islamic Jihad positions in the coastal enclave.
- Israel May Restrict Access to Jerusalem for Muslims from the Gaza Strip According to the source, this ban will effectively prevent Muslims living in the Gaza Strip from visiting the Al-Aqsa Mosque – the third holiest site in Islam located in the Old City of Jerusalem.
RA Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Offers Condolences to IRI President Hassan Rouhani
Ecuador Tried To Give Julian Assange A Diplomatic Post In Russia
Artsakh Republic President Visited the Homeland Defender's Rehabilitation Center in Yerevan
Queen Elizabeth II Extended Congratulatory Message to Nikol Pashinyan
EU, UK Fail to Achieve Significant Progress on Brexit Talks
Google Changes Doodle to Mark Armenia’s 27th Anniversary of Independence
Trump: the Coming Months Bring Opportunities to Resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict
Armenia Marks Independence Day 27th Anniversary
Saudi Arabia Congratulates Sarkissian on Independence Day
Poland Completes Ratification Process of EU-Armenia Deal
Don't Worry, Be Happy, Don't Worry: Jean-Claude Juncker
RF President Vladimir Putin sends RA President Congratulatory Message on Armenia’s Independence Day
PM Welcomes U.S. Physician Dr. Eric Esrailian and UCLA Chancellor Gene Block
Facebook hasn't Complied with EU Consumer Rules Yet
Vox: North and South Korea Just Signed a Major Agreement. It may be Bad News for Trump.
Mother See: Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II Is not Resigning
CSTO Chief of Joint Staff not Authorized to Comment on Matter Regarding Secretary General Yuri Khachaturov
EU Leaders Try to Tackle the Migration Crisis
Artsakh’s President Sent a Congratulatory Letter to President of the South Ossetian on Independence Day
Japan's Abe Re-elected as Party Head, to Stay on as PM
Pashinyan: Karabakh Should Become a Part of Armenia
Erdogan Wants to Build a Seljuk Style Presidential Palace on Shores of Lake Van
Angela Merkel Arrived in Armenia
Dan Bilzerian Registers in the Armenian Armed Forces
Merkel Left Azerbaijan with ''Armenian Flags''
US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Chancellor Merkel’s Visit is Unprecedented in 26-year-old Diplomatic Relations between Germany and Armenia
Gevorg Harutyunyan Took the Third Place at the "New Wave -2018" International Music Contest
"Declaration of Independence Laid Foundation of Artsakh’s State-Building’ – Armenian President Extends Congrats on 27th Anniversary
Wind: 11.27 km/h