Brexit: UK "May Consider Longer Transition Period'
Brexit-backing MPs have reacted angrily to the idea that the UK's transition out of the EU could be extended for another year, to the end of 2021, BBC reports.
No. 10 refused to rule out an extension after a summit of EU leaders in Brussels failed to make progress.
The move could buy the two sides more time to come up with a solution to the problem of the Irish border.
But the UK would have to pay billions more into the EU's budget and follow its rules for even longer.
Theresa May addressed her 27 European counterparts on Wednesday evening, urging them to give ground and end the current Brexit deadlock.
However, they said it was up to her to offer new ideas, and declared that insufficient progress had been made to call a special summit next month to draft a withdrawal deal.
Both sides did, though, agree to keep talking.
- May to Focus on Irish Backstop in her Brexit 'Pan B' Mrs May held a conference call with her Cabinet on Sunday. It is understood she wants to show the EU that MPs could back a deal without a backstop, in the hope of encouraging Brussels to soften its position.
- UK PM May Makes no Change to Her Demands in Talks With EU Leaders May’s demands continue to focus around either a legally binding time-limit for the Irish backstop; a right for UK to unilaterally withdraw
- British Ministers Split Over Next Brexit Steps if PM's Deal Fails “A managed no deal would simply mean that it was agreed on both sides that there would be bilateral arrangements that we would have some forms of mitigation,” Leadsom told Sky News. “That would be...
- Downing Street Rules out Parliament Time for Corbyn's 'Stunt' No-Confidence Motion in May Mrs May previously delayed a parliamentary showdown on her Brexit deal this month after admitting she was heading for defeat.
- New EU Referendum would Break Faith with Britons, May to Warn MPs Former PMs John Major and Tony Blair are among those urging a new referendum if MPs cannot agree on a way forward.
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Informal Meeting with Ilham Aliyev
Aliyev: Azerbaijan's CSTO Membership Isn't Being Discussed Yet
Azerbaijani Embassy Carries Out 1-Dollar Propaganda Attempt in Switzerland
Nikol Pashinyan Discusses Cooperation Prospects with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, JICA and eBay Executives in Davos
Lapshin Has Applied to Armenian Defense Ministry Asking to Allow Him Visit the border Zone Shelled by Azerbaijan
''Armenia!'' Exhibition in New York Metropolitan Museum Registered a Record Number of Visitors
Pashinyan: Armenia Has Agreed with Gazprom on Gas Price
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
The Criminal Case Against Azerbaijani Blogger Was Terminated
Report: 73% of Germans Support the Construction of the Nord Stream - 2
Bako Sahakyan expresses Gratitude to Jean-Michel Ekherian for Implementing Healthcare Projects in Artsakh
Minister Nikol Pashinyan Will Travel to Moscow on January 25
Mevlut Chavushoghlu: With Karabakh Conflict Unresolved, Normalization of Ties with Armenia Impossible
Macron Vows to Continue Reforms Despite Protests
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Erdogan: Turkey won’t Let Syria Safe Zone be Turned into "Swamp"
Artsakh Republic Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Received the ARFD "Hai Dat" Delegation
"If You are Ready to Make Your Move, Come to Armenia, Get Rich and Enrich" – Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Swiss Businessmen in Zurich
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to Swedish PM
Nikol Pashinyan Meets Businessmen in Zurich to Discuss Investment Projects for Armenia
Congratulatory Address by Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on New Year and Christmas Holidays (VIDEO)
Erdogan Officially Declared 2019 as the Year of Armenian Portasar
His Holiness Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians Sends a Message on the Occasion of the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Artsakh Republic President Addressed Congratulatory Message on the Occasion of New Year and Christmas Holidays
Pompeo: US Withdrawal from Syria doesn't Change Mission to Destroy ISIS and Stop Iran's Influence in the Mideast
President Armen Sarkissian Met with the Minister of State of the United Arab Emirates Sultan Al Jaber
Eve of Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Candlelight (Lucernarium) Divine Liturgy
'For the Sake of Armenia': Saghatelyan, Bekaryan, Hakobyan and Farmanyan Have Established a Media Company
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Discussed Issues on the Activities of The HALO Trust in Humanitarian Demining
Father Ghevond Mayilyan: Christ Left the Heavens and Descended into the Earth for Us, Bringing Salvation and Life