Armenian-Iranian Relationships. Pashinyan’s Belated Visit
The meetings proceeded in a warm atmosphere with the parties emphasizing bilateral relationships and expressed willingness to further deepen them. This comes to support the RA new authorities’ assertions that there will not be dramatic changes in the Armenia’s foreign policy. To be noted that no dramatic changes have taken place either in the bilateral relationships or agenda related issues. The programs and cooperation paths discussed during Pashinyan’s visit basically repeat the previous authorities’ agenda. Both sides have emphasized the importance of political cooperation and noted that the level of the economic cooperation does not reflect the potential of the two sides.
Among the most important programs of Armenian-Iranian bilateral economic cooperation are as of now the construction of Iran-Armenia power transmission third line, implementation of Megri HPP, North-South road corridor, trilateral and quadrilateral economic cooperation with Georgia and Russia.
During the meetings they also emphasized the importance of ratification by the parliaments of 2018 Iran-EEU agreement on boosting bilateral trade turnover. Interestingly enough the agreement is not ratified either b Armenia, with the latter being the initiator should have been more concerned about its rapid ratification. Plus the ratification on the eve of the visit could serve as an impulse to developing Armenia-Iran relationships.
With the Armenia’s authorities emphasizing the importance of developing the relationships with the neighboring countries, namely with Iran and Georgia in the recent one year, it should be noted that no practical steps been taken towards developing relationships with Iran compared to Georgia. Moreover there have been a number of statements that raised some concerns in the bilateral relationships. Among them is prime minister’s statement following a meeting with the USA’s John Bolton that the border with Iran can be closed any time. There is room for explanations in the bilateral relationships on the whole. It is also testified by the fact that almost one year after the revolution Pashinyan assures the Iranian authorities that no other country has a trace in the domestic developments of Armenia.
In conclusion, even though the prime minister’s visit to Iran was organized at a very high level, it did not contain anything new agenda wise. The agreements mainly related to programs already underway.
Other materials on this subject
- Zohouri: Armenia's security is Iran's security "I hope that this cooperation as two ancient and centuries-old countries will further develop. Work is being carried out in different directions, related to the road, economic cooperation, etc., which...
- Armenian, Iranian ministers discuss construction of Kajaran tunnel I have also touched upon the ongoing large-scale road construction works in Armenia, which will soon allow to increase the volumes of cargo transportation coming from Iran.
- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council of Iran arrives in Armenia Armen Grigoryan welcomed his Iranian counterpart at Yerevan’s Zvartnots International Airport.
- Iranian Ambassador to Armenia Visits Ararat Province Welcoming the Iranian Ambassador, the Governor of Ararat said that he attaches importance to the development and deepening of bilateral relations.
- Iranian Envoy Says New Gas Swap Agreement Likely with Armenia Soon He said that one of the important topics discussed during the 17th Armenian-Iranian Inter-Governmental Session were the energy agreements, including gas swap.
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 6.69 km/h