Nazarbayev's Resignation to Improve Kazakhstan's Image: Marat Shibutov, Political Scientist (EXCLUSIVE)
Kazakh political scientist Marat Shibutov, in an interview with "Armedia" IAA comments on Nursultan Nazarbayev’s resignation with the latter having been in power since 1990.
- Mr Shibutov, why did Nazarbayev resign now? To what extend was that decision unexpected?
- The decision was expected, in fact it was constantly put off. However that it would come on March 19, was not predicted. Obviously he decided to associate it with Nowruz, the feast of spring and revival.
- What developments are expected following Nazarbayev’s resignation? Is successor related domestic struggle possible? Is Tokayev’s appointment final?
- Tokayev is interim president of Kazakhstan. The questions is when elections will be held – in December 2019 or April 2020. Another question is who will enter the elections, and whether Tokaev is suitable for the period of residence in the country or not. This is up to the CEC and the Constitutional Council to decide. That is to say the second round of power transfer is not complete yet.
- One of the main concerns about the departure of Nazarbayev has always been the threat of inter-ethnic disagreement in Kazakhstan. Do you think it is possible to be avoided?
- Inter-ethnic strife has always been propaganda, in fact there are no such problems. Most inter-ethnic conflicts flared up due to public distrust towards the police, as the latter was considered not able to carry out fair and professional investigation. The protest is more against power structures rather than being an ethnic conflict...
- May Nazarbayev’s resignation influence Kazakhstan’s image in the world?
- I think it will positively affect the image of our country, as power transfer and a new president are things always taken positively…
- Tokayev Sworn in As Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev took the oath of office as Kazakhstan’s president at a ceremony in the Independence Palace in the capital Nur-Sultan on Wednesday.
- Kazakhstan to Hold Early Presidential Election on June 9 Interim president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, calls a snap election, citing the need to eliminate political uncertainty.
- More than 40 Countries Cooperate with Eurasian Economic Union 2017 was successful. Trade turnover between our countries grew 27%. We see great interest towards our union, today more than 40 countries are cooperating with us.
- Karen Karapetyan Receives Kazakhstan Ambassador The Premier highlighted the diversification of bilateral economic cooperation, stressing that the current level of bilateral trade turnover does not correspond to the existing potential.
- Kazakhstan Will Give $100 Million to Kyrgyzstan for Its Eurasian Integration A joint audit commission to ensure targeted and effective use of the provided assistance will be established within the Kazakh-Kyrgyz Intergovernmental Council.
History Museum of Armenia Among Top 10 CIS Museums
CNN: Trump Again Tests Negative for Coronavirus, White House Says
Armenia Records 736 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Arsen Torosyan: Total Number of People in Armenia Recovered From Coronavirus has Reached 43
The Ninth Activity to Minimize the Economic Impact of COVID-19 Provides for Support of Families with Children Under the age of Eighteen
We Once Again Remind, that the Citizens of the Republic of Armenia Cannot Return from Russian Federation to Armenia by Land Routes. Armenia MFA
Armenia's PM Visit to Netherlands Postponed
Coronavirus-Infected 78-Year-Old Patient Dies in Yerevan
EU Will Provide €51 Million to Armenia to Fight against COVID-19
April Aggression by Azerbaijan only Strengthened the Determination of Artsakh People: Artsakh MFA
Trump's Net Worth Drops $1 Billion: Forbes
Artsakh Republic President Visited Talish Village
Artsakh has Been and Remains the Victorious Spirit of Our People: Serzh Sargsyan
Number of Coronavirus-Infected Healthcare Workers Increases in Armenia
Central Bank Forecasts 0.7% Economic Growth in Armenia for 2020
Prime Minister Pays Tribute to April War Victims’ Memory
A 68-Year Old Patient Has Died from Coronavirus: Alina Nikoghosyan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Zarif Rejects Trump’s Claim amid Tensions in Iraq
Five Employees of Vardashen Penitentiary Security Staff Test Positive for COVID-19
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 5 km/h