U.S. House Passes Cox Amendment on U.S. Aid to Artsakh
Congressman TJ Cox (D-CA) – a first-term legislator representing California’s Central Valley – spearheaded the successful passage today of an amendment appropriating Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20) U.S. assistance for life-saving de-mining programs and expanded rehabilitation services in the Republic of Artsakh (Nagorno Karabakh), reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).
Securing and sustaining direct U.S. support for Artsakh has been a key ANCA policy priority for more than two decades, since this aid program was first launched, with ANCA backing and the leadership of Rep. Brad Sherman (D-CA), in the Fiscal Year 1998 foreign aid bill.
During remarks on the House floor last week, Rep. Cox noted “Karabakh has one of the highest civilian casualty rates from land mines and unsolicited remnants of war. According to The HALO Trust, there have been nearly 400 civilian casualties from mines and unexploded ordnance in Karabakh for the last few decades and a quarter of those landmine victims have been children. In 2013, a needs assessment estimated that The HALO Trust interventions have benefited over 80% of the region’s population. Mr. Speaker, families and children shouldn’t have to live in fear of dying due to a landmine accident.”
The Cox Amendment on Artsakh aid, which was supported by Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chairs Frank Pallone (D-NJ) and Jackie Speier (D-CA) and Vice-Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA), calls for a $1.5 million allocation for FY2020. It was adopted as part of an “en bloc” group of foreign aid related amendments to H.R.2740 by a vote of 231 to 187. The Cox Amendment passed over the opposition of the Ranking Republican on the House Appropriations Committee, Hal Rogers (R-KY), who opposed several amendments in the en bloc measure, including the Cox amendment.
- Hot Line With Azerbaijani President Does Not Guarantee There Will Be No Victims – Pashinyan According to the PM, as far as the Azerbaijani president has not pronounced that sentence, the negotiations will not be productive.
- Bako Sahakyan Received Armen Grigoryan Artsakh Republic Security Council secretary Arshavir Gharamyan partook at the meeting.
- ANCA Applauds Overwhelming Bipartisan House Passage of Chu Amendment to Strengthen Artsakh Cease-Fire We welcome today’s historic U.S. House vote for peace.
- OSCE Mission Monitoring: Azerbaijani Side Didn't Lead the OSCE Mission to its Front-Line Positions From the Artsakh side, the monitoring mission was accompanied by representatives of the Republic of Artsakh Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense.
- OSCE Mission to Conduct Monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact The authorities of the Republic of Artsakh have expressed their readiness to assist in conducting the monitoring and to ensure the security of the OSCE Mission members.
- Trump to Discuss Turkey With GOP Senators at White House Next Week Citing two officials familiar with the matter, the report noted that the meeting, which will address "Turkey sanctions," will take place at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
- Judge Orders Social-Media Silence for Roger Stone If Stone continues to post on social media after today, he could be found in contempt of court and face jail time.
- Boris Johnson to Seek Trump Trade Deal in First Move as Leader The key to the whole thing is the US.
- Trump Aides Pick Sanctions to Punish Turkey for Russian Missiles The administration chose one of three sets of actions
- Man Dies as Police Shootout Follows Firebomb Attack on Immigration Centre: USA The detention centre has also held immigration-seeking parents separated from their children under Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” policy, an effort meant to deter illegal immigration.
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Kabul Seeks Clarification of Trump's Remarks on 'Wiping out Afghanistan'
Trump and Congressional Leaders Announce Critical Debt and Budget Deal
Japan Lodged Protest with S.Korea, Russia after Jet Incident
5.4 Magnitude Quake Hits Southern Iran
Pompeo: Different Countries to Participate in Patrolling Strait of Hormuz
Russian-Armenians are Active in Different Spheres – Sinanyan Meets with Russian Deputy FM
North Korea's Kim Inspects New Submarine
Trump Says He Could Wipe Afghanistan off Face of the Earth in 10 Days
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Condolence Cable on Passing of Yukiya Amano
Meeting with President of the Russian Dance Union Stanislaw Popov
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia: the Air Temperature will Go Down
Millions of Barrels of Iranian Oil Are Piled Up in China’s Ports
"The Authority of Each Officer Should be Much Greater than that of His Epaulettes"- Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Graduates of Military Educational Institutions
Israel Begins Demolishing Palestinian Homes near Separation Wall
Ararat Mirzoyan Meets with Representatives of the Armenian Community of Boston
Cooperation of EU and Armenia Is On the Right Track – Ambassador Świtalski
Armenian Defense Minister Doesn’t See Anything to Worry About Border Situation
U.N. Nuclear Watchdog Chief Amano Dies Aged 72
EU Preps Aid for Ireland to Soften a No-Deal Brexit
RA-EU Partnership Road-Map Hardly Overlaps EEU Regulations
Magnifier: Office of High Commissioner on Diaspora
Charles Aznavour's Love Letters to Be Put Up for Auction
For Who the Ministry of Diaspora was Abolished
Insight From Yerevan: Outcomes of Armenia And Azerbaijan FM Meeting
PM Nikol Pashinyan, Mrs. Anna Hakobyan Arrive in Singapore on Official Visit; They Met with Local and Neighboring Countries’ Armenian Communities
Armenia Won't Go to Unilateral Concessions which Endanger Artsakh’s Security and Right to Self-Determination
Artsakh’s Foreign Ministry Welcome the Adoption of the Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of the US House of Representatives
President of Artsakh Visited the Construction Site of a New Residential Community in Capital Stepanakert
Armenian Speaker of Parliament Meets with President of the House of Representatives of Cyprus Demetris Syllouris
Wind: 6 km/h