U.S. House Passes Cox Amendment on U.S. Aid to Artsakh
Congressman TJ Cox (D-CA) – a first-term legislator representing California’s Central Valley – spearheaded the successful passage today of an amendment appropriating Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20) U.S. assistance for life-saving de-mining programs and expanded rehabilitation services in the Republic of Artsakh (Nagorno Karabakh), reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).
Securing and sustaining direct U.S. support for Artsakh has been a key ANCA policy priority for more than two decades, since this aid program was first launched, with ANCA backing and the leadership of Rep. Brad Sherman (D-CA), in the Fiscal Year 1998 foreign aid bill.
During remarks on the House floor last week, Rep. Cox noted “Karabakh has one of the highest civilian casualty rates from land mines and unsolicited remnants of war. According to The HALO Trust, there have been nearly 400 civilian casualties from mines and unexploded ordnance in Karabakh for the last few decades and a quarter of those landmine victims have been children. In 2013, a needs assessment estimated that The HALO Trust interventions have benefited over 80% of the region’s population. Mr. Speaker, families and children shouldn’t have to live in fear of dying due to a landmine accident.”
The Cox Amendment on Artsakh aid, which was supported by Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chairs Frank Pallone (D-NJ) and Jackie Speier (D-CA) and Vice-Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA), calls for a $1.5 million allocation for FY2020. It was adopted as part of an “en bloc” group of foreign aid related amendments to H.R.2740 by a vote of 231 to 187. The Cox Amendment passed over the opposition of the Ranking Republican on the House Appropriations Committee, Hal Rogers (R-KY), who opposed several amendments in the en bloc measure, including the Cox amendment.
- Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan “The sentence that the solution must satisfy Armenia, Artsakh and Azerbaijan was first voiced by Gorbachov. Then it became clear very soon that the issue is not it. Yes, it is very beautiful sentence...
- The Congressmen Expressed Readiness to Continue Their Efforts Aimed at Putting an End to the Isolation of Artsakh Masis Mayilian highly appreciated the strong support of the U.S. lawmakers for the continued struggle of the people of Artsakh for the sake of freedom, peace and decent life in their homeland.
- FM Highlights Reduction of Risks of Escalation for Substantive NK Talks Mnatsakanyan said it is an absolutely important issue to reach a situation which rules out risks of escalation.
- “Kazan document” was rejected by Azerbaijan itself, Yerevan reminds Baku As for the opinion of the minister of foreign affairs of Azerbaijan on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, I would kindly like to remind, that Azerbaijan was the one to reject the...
- Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to Meet Again under Co-Chair Auspices before the End of the Year: OSCE MG Statement The two leaders briefed the Co-Chairs on their recent conversation during the CIS summit in Ashgabat and presented their ideas on how to advance the settlement process.
- Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met with the Delegation of the Armenian Assembly of America At the request of the guests, the Foreign Minister presented the main directions and priorities of the foreign policy of Artsakh, touched upon the processes of peaceful settlement of the Azerbaijan-Karabakh...
- PM attends UN debate on Sustainable Development During his working visit to New York, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan participated in the “UN Sustainable Development Goals: The 2020-2030 Vision” summit and delivered a speech. Below is the full text...
- PM speaks at Columbia University in New York Since 1994 when a ceasefire agreement was signed between Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan and Armenia, the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process became an indispensable part of regional politics.
- PM Attends Armenia-Los Angeles Business Forum Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan’s working visit to the United States, Los Angeles, continues.
- Trump's Communications with a Foreign Leader Sparked Whistleblower Complaint The source who spoke to CNN would not disclose the foreign leader with whom Trump was alleged to have spoken.
Anti-Government Protest Took Place In Prague
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
PM chairs Defense Ministry Board Meeting at Ministry of Defense Headquarters
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
PM chairs Security Council Meeting
Artsakh President Receives Armenian CB Delegation
Azerbaijan Breaches Karabakh Ceasefire 210 Times in One Week
PM: All Citizens of Armenia Need to View State Budget as Family Budget
Kazakhstan is Eager to See Investments Coming from Armenia
We are with you, Venice – Armenian Embassy
Armenian Team Loses, Deprived of Opportunity to Take Part in Euro-2020
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Colonel Arayik Grigoryan Appointed Frst Deputy Director of the Artsakh Republic National Security Service
Nikol Pashinyan Held a Consultation to Discuss the Report on Armenia State Interest Fund Activities
Solemn Awarding Ceremony Took Place in the Artsakh Republic President's Residence
Dashnaks ‘Deeply Concerned’ Over Political Developments In Armenia
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Armenia Salutes Dutch Parliament’s Stance on Opening of Resident Embassy in Yerevan
Pompeo: U.S. will Continue to Lead Fight Against ISIS
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 3 km/h