UN Chief Urges India, Pakistan to Exercise "Maximum Restraint" over Kashmir
The United Nations chief has expressed concern over "restrictions" in Indian-administered Kashmir as the Muslim-majority territory remained under an unprecedented security lockdown and a near-total communications blackout for a fourth day.
The statement by Antonio Guterres on Thursday came as Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India, defended the controversial stripping of special rights from the disputed region as necessary to stop "terrorism and separatism", Al-Jazeera reports.
Hundreds have been arrested since Monday, according to local media, in the wake of the decision by Modi's Hindu-nationalist government to downgrade the portion of Kashmir it administers from statehood to a territory, limit its decision-making power and eliminate its right to its own constitution.
Guterres said he was "concerned over reports of restrictions on the Indian-side of Kashmir", adding the curbs "could exacerbate the human rights situation in the region".
The UN secretary-general also appealed for "maximum restraint" and urged India and Pakistan "to refrain from taking steps that could affect" the region's status.
- Guterres Appoints Movses Abelian of Armenia Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly Mr. Abelian is currently Assistant Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management. Prior to assuming this position in 2016, he was Director of the Security Council Affairs Division in...
- Britain Requests Urgent UN Security Council Meeting on Libya Britain requested the urgent meeting on Thursday, diplomats said, following the order from Khalifa Haftar, a key player opposed to the government in the capital.
- Syria Requests UN Security Council Meeting on Golan The French presidency did not immediately schedule the meeting and diplomats said there would be a discussion at the council about the request.
- Kofi Annan, Former UN Secretary General, Dies Annan’s foundation issued a statement on his Twitter account on Saturday morning that described him as a "global statesman and deeply committed internationalist who fought throughout his life for a fairer...
- UNSC Fails to Pass 3 Resolutions on Syria ''Chem Аttack'' The US, UK and France had earlier indicated they are likely to resort to military action in response to the alleged chemical incident in Douma on Saturday. The Russian envoy once again called for the West...
Macron Opens G7 Summit with Working Dinner
French Wine-Makers Hope for G7 Detente with Trump Over Tariffs
President Sarkissian Congratulates Zelensky on Ukrainian Independence Day
President Sahakyan Visited a Number of Water Supply Facilities in Stepanakert
5 Magnitude Earthquake on the Richter Scale Strikes Japan
Amazon Fires: Brazil Sends Army to Help Tackle Blazes
Armenian PM Congratulates Ukraine on Independence Day
Turkey's Erdogan to Visit Russia
Trump Says He’s Ordering American Companies to Immediately Start Looking for an Alternative to China
PM Nikol Pashinyan’s Congratulatory Message on Independence Declaration Anniversary
China to Impose 10%, 5% Extra Tariffs on $75 Billion Worth of US Imports
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
PM Neets with Residents of Amulsar-Affected Saravan and Goraik Communities
Putin Orders Officials to Prepare Response to US Cruise Missile Testing after INF Treaty Collapse
Armenia's Parliament Speaker Congratulates on 29th Anniversary of Independence Declaration
Mine Exploitation Means 10-25 Blasts a Day, with Each Blast Raising 25 Tons of Dust: Ex-Governor of Vayots Dzor
"The Amulsar Issue May be Tackled Based on the Balanced Interest of the Republic of Armenia" - Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Jermuk Residents
Canada Opposes Russia's Return to G8: Freeland
Amulsar Exploitation Should Have no Impact on Land, Water and Air: Armenia’s PM
Bako Sahakyan Had a Meeting with Composer Robert Amirkhanyan
Trump Administration Attacks U.S. Aid Program to Artsakh
“Our Goal is to Make the Startup a Dominant Mindset in Armenia” - PM Meets with Sevan Startup Summit-2009 Participants (PHOTOS)
Armenian Killed in Aleppo
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Prime Minister of the Australian State of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border More than 900 Times
Our Strength Comes From our Ideas, Country’s Leaders and Country’s Rating: Security Council Secretary
In Uruguay Garo Paylan Together with His Party Colleague Paid Tribute to the Memory of the Victims of the Armenian Genocide
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Delivered a Speech at the Meeting with the Armenian Community of Australia
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border more than 65 Times
Environmentalists conduct protest action in front of government building against Amulsar exploitation
Wind: 10 km/h