Brexit: Parliament Breaks Deadlock With Vote for 12 December Election
MPs voted on Tuesday night to finally resolve their Brexit deadlock by calling a general election, setting the stage for a 12 December contest that could be the most unpredictable in a generation. Boris Johnson won his fourth bid to go to the polls by 438 to 20 after Jeremy Corbyn declared that Labour would support an election as a "once-in-a-generation chance to transform our country". The pre-Christmas vote will be the first December poll since 1923, The Guardian reports.
The Liberal Democrats and Scottish National party abstained, after their preferred day for it to be held – 9 December – was rejected. Almost half of all Labour MPs were absent or voted against the legislation in a sign of unhappiness about a snap election, although some blamed a mix-up by the whips for their failure to attend.
Parliament will dissolve next Wednesday for a short campaign of five weeks, so long as the House of Lords passes Johnson’s legislation as expected in the coming days.
Speaking earlier in the House of Commons, Johnson argued that a "new and revitalised" parliament was needed to take Britain out of the European Union. "We are left with no choice but to go to the country to break free from this impasse," he told MPs.
But he later struck a cautious note, telling a backbench meeting of Tory MPs that it would be "a tough election but we will do the best we can". He told them he had not wanted an election but was forced to seek one because Labour would have "sliced and diced" his Brexit legislation beyond recognition.
In a move to unite his party, the prime minister decided to readmit 10 of the 21 MPs he expelled last month for defying his Brexit plan.
The major battle lines of the campaign will be drawn along on the subject of Brexit, after Johnson failed to take the UK out of the EU on 31 October "do or die" as he had promised.
- UK and Japan Agree Historic Free Trade Agreement But it is unclear whether the UK has won an export quota to match the one it had as a member of the EU.
- Boris Johnson Tells EU that Free Trade Deal Must be Done by 15 October In that case, Britain would be ready to find sensible accommodation with the bloc on practical issues such as flights, lorry transport or scientific cooperation, according to the excerpts.
- EU Announced Diplomatic Mission In London The EU External Action shortly after the Brexit issued a statement and announced that the EU’s diplomatic mission in London will be carried out by the EU delegation led by Ambassador diplomat Joao Vale...
- UK PM Johnson Plans 'Respectful' Brexit Celebration After three years of wrangling over whether Brexit should go ahead and how best to do it, Johnson has agreed a deal with the EU that will see Britain continue to abide by the bloc’s rules until the end...
- EU Chiefs Sign Brexit Deal ahead of Parliamentary Vote Then, on Thursday next week, diplomats from the EU member states will approve the deal in writing, ensuring Britain’s orderly departure at midnight on January 31.
Serbian President Congratulates Armenian Counterpart on Independence Day
Arayik Harutyunyan Partook in a Solemn Ceremony to Mark the Day of Stepanakert
Health Ministry: Armenia Expected to Get First Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine in 2021
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Lebanon’s PM-Designate Resigns After Failing to Form Govt
No Threat Can Force the People of Artsakh to Deviate from the Chosen Path: President Harutyunyan Convened an Enlarged Consultation
Armenia Records 49072 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
U.S. Embassies in Armenia and Azerbaijan Urge its Citizens Avoid Visiting Territories Near Armenia-Azerbaijan Border
Youth Sports, Fitness and Recreation Center is Being Built in Stepanakert
Turkish Prosecutor General's Office Launches Procedure to Deprive Armenian MP Garo Paylan of Immunity
People of Nagorno-Karabakh Should Be Able to Determine Their Status without Limitation: Nikol Pashinyan
Yervand Khundkaryan Not Elected CC President
The July Events Proved that Armenia Cannot be Talked to in the Language of Force and Threats: PM Receives Artsakh National Assembly Delegation
MFA: Both Armenia and Artsakh Authorities Received Mandate of their Peoples, Ready to Launch Dialogue with Authorities of Azerbaijan Enjoying Relevant Mandate of their People
Short Rain With Thunderstorm Is Predicted
Four People Wounded In A Knife Attack In Paris
Former Deputy Armen Pambukhchyan Appointed Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations
Artsakh Reports 10 New Coronavirus Cases during Past Day
N. Korea’s Kim Apologizes over Shooting Death of S. Korean
COVID-19: Armenia Reports 392 New Cases
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Violation of the Rights of the Officer Gurgen Alaverdyan who Appeared Under the Azerbaijani Jurisdiction
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Ancient Armenian Fortress Surfaces from under Lake Van
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
ICRC Representatives Visited Armenian Captives In Azerbaijan
Internal investigation Will Reveal All Circumstances of Disappearance of the Armenian Officer - Defense Minister
Azerbaijani Side Launches New Fortification Works on the Border, Armenian Side Suspends such Activities
Armenia, Artsakh ex-President Kocharyan: Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Has Never Been Part of Independent Azerbaijan
Armenia Records 47877 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Wind: 5 km/h