Boris Johnson Refuses to Grant Scotland Powers to Hold Independence Vote
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson rejected Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon's demand for a second independence referendum in a brief official letter published today, Politico reports.
"The Scottish people voted decisively to keep our United Kingdom together, a result which both the Scottish and UK Governments committed to respect," the prime minister tweeted, attaching the official document.
The result of that referendum, in which more than 55 percent of Scots voted to remain a part of the U.K., means another vote would be pointless, Johnson argued.
Instead he suggested that it is in Scotland's interest not to devote valuable time to discussions about whether the nation should become independent while there are urgent domestic issues to tackle.
- Three British Parties Agree to Vote against Brexit in the Election Such a pact means two of the parties would agree not to field a candidate, boosting the third candidate's chances.
- UK will not Extend Brexit Transition Period The spokesman said the government must continue to prepare for all possibilities including that the country leaves the European Union on Jan. 31 without a withdrawal deal.
- Brexit: Parliament Breaks Deadlock With Vote for 12 December Election Parliament will dissolve next Wednesday for a short campaign of five weeks, so long as the House of Lords passes Johnson’s legislation as expected in the coming days.
- EU Hopes to Endorse Brexit Delay to January 31 with Earlier Departure possible Any postponement to Brexit can only be granted unanimously by the 27 and French objections have so far prevented a decision as Johnson spars with lawmakers over calling an early election.
- Tusk: No-Deal Brexit will Never Be Our Decision As MPs prepare to have their first vote on the revised Brexit deal, the president of the European council told the European parliament that the EU’s final response to Boris Johnson’s letter seeking...
Serzh Sargsyan Extends Condolences on Untimely and Tragic Demise of Georgi Kutoyan
The Plane Crash Was a Bitter Accident: Iranian Supreme Leader
Canadian Armenian Genocide Survivor Eugenie Papazian Passes Away at Age 105
Lavrov on His Possible Appointment in New Government
Oil Ends Week Steady as China Growth Offsets Trade Deal Optimism
German Chancellor Merkel to Visit Turkey on January 24
Former NSS Director Found Shot Dead in Yerevan
Sitting of Inter-Parliamentary Committee on Cooperation between the Legislative Bodies of Armenia and Artsakh Will Be Held on January 18
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
France to Deploy Aircraft Carrier to Middle East
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Saudi Arabia Paid $500 Million for Cost of US Troops in Country
Armenia’s MFA Reports about Meetings on Karabakh after Agreeing All Details: Spokesperson
11 US troops Wounded in Last Week's Iran Attack on Iraq Base
1999 Parliament Attack Ringleader Addresses Letter to PM From Prison
Andy Madadian Becomes First Iranian on Hollywood's Walk of Fame
Ukrainian PM Resigns
EU Follows Closely Developments Over Armenia’s Constitutional Court
Diaspora-Armenian Specialists Can Participate in Armenia’s Governance: New Project Coming Soon
Garegin Baghramyan: Gazprom Armenia Might Submit Bid to Raise Natural Gas Tariff
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
Facebook Removes Hundreds of Georgia Govt Linked Pages
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Armenia's Constitutional Court Has Been Working under Unprecedented Pressure for the Last 6-7 Months: CC President
Armenia's Speaker of Parliament Visited Several North-Eastern Border Positions to Congratulate on New Year
Wind: 6 km/h