Iran and Russia Will Deepen Their Military Cooperation
Russia and Iran have signed this week a memorandum on the implementation of the agreement for the delivery of the Russian S-300 missile defense systems to Iran, a senior official from the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said, Sputnik reports.
"This week, a memorandum on the implementation of the agreement to supply Russian S-300 missile defense systems to Iran has been signed," the official told RIA Novosti. He added that the memorandum does not specify a specific time frame, the number of systems to be delivered or prices.
It should be noted that in 2007 Iran signed a contract worth $800mln to buy five Russian S300 missile defense systems. But in 2010 Russia suspended the delivery due to pressure from Western countries over sanctions on Iran’s nuclear program. However, in January Tehran and Moscow signed an agreement to broaden their cooperation in defense sphere, Iranian News Agency FARS says. The agreement was signed by General Dehqan and his visiting Russian counterpart General Sergei Shoigu in a meeting in Tehran. The Iranian and Russian defense ministers agreed to resolve the existing problems which have prevented the delivery of Russia's advanced air defense systems to Iran in recent years.
In April 2015 Russian President Vladimir Putin removed the ban on the delivery of the missile shield to Iran. And the Iranian side said it hoped the air defense system will be delivered to Iran before the end of 2015.
After the signing of the Iranian nuclear deal Iran demanded a solution to this problem. The problem of the delivery of the Russian S-300 missile defense systems was one of the main issues that were discussed during the visit of Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif to Moscow in August 2015, Al-Monitor says.
Now the signing of the memorandum means that Russia is going to use these new geopolitical realities and deepen military and defence cooperation with Iran.
As expected, the Pentagon warned Iran of possible U.S. military action because of Tehran’s deal with Russia, World Bulletin reports. "We don't see this as a positive development", - Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told reporters. He said the US may respond even with "military options". As The Hill reports, Cook noted the U.S. has expressed its concerns to Russia over the sale. He also added that "they are confident in their capabilities, even if that system is sold".
The American Congress is still to vote on a resolution of disapproval ont the nuclear deal in September. Thus, the deepening of the military cooperation between Iran and Russia may create obstacles for the US President Barack Obama as he tries to press Congress to back the Iranian nuclear deal. At the same time, Israel may use this as a tool to activate its anti-Iranian campaign.
- Iran's Nuclear Enrichment at Higher Level than before 2015 Deal: Rouhani Iran has gradually scaled back its commitments under the nuclear deal in retaliation to Washington’s withdrawal from the pact in 2018 and its reimposition of sanctions that have crippled the country’s...
- EU’s Dispute Mechanism "A Strategic Mistake": FM Zarif After the mechanism is implemented, Iran would be given 15 days to resolve the dispute with the three European signatories to the nuclear deal.
- Dispute Resolution Mechanism On Iranian Deal To Be Launched The UK, Germany and France will notify the EU on Tuesday that they are launching a dispute resolution mechanism as part of the implementation of the Iranian deal (JCPOA), Reuters reported referring to...
- Johnson: Let's Do a 'Trump Deal' to Replace the Iran Nuclear Deal British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday called on U.S. President Donald Trump to replace the Iranian nuclear deal with his own new agreement.
- Pence: Trump Will Ask European Allies to Withdraw from the Disastrous Iran Nuclear Deal The agreement has been unraveling since Trump pulled the United States from it.
- Russian Government Resigns President Vladimir Putin thanked Dmitry Medvedev’s government for its work.
- Former Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov Dies Yury Luzhkov, the former mayor of Moscow, has died Tuesday at age 83, a source close to him told Interfax.
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Statement on Protests in Moscow I call on the Russian authorities to release political prisoners.
- Trump Says He will Meet Russia’s Putin at G-20 Summit Next Week In an interview on Fox News, Trump said he would hold meetings with Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump confirmed earlier this week he would be meeting with Xi.
- The Deep Chill in U.S.-Russian Relations is Stirring Concern The deep chill in U.S.-Russian relations is stirring concern in some quarters that Washington and Moscow are in danger of stumbling into an armed confrontation that, by mistake or miscalculation, could...
Nikol Pashinyan Attends Panel Discussion on the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict on the Sidelines of the Munich Security Conference
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Georgia, Ukraine, Moldova Address EU over Future Development of Eastern Partnership
Coronavirus Death Toll Climbs to 1,669
Iraq Base Hosting U.S. Military in Baghdad Hit by "Small Rockets"
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Tomorrow The Air Temperature Will Go Up by 6-8 Degrees
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Met With Indian Minister of External Affairs
First Coronavirus Death In Europe
Some Roads in Armenia Are Closed And Difficult to Pass
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Met With The Secretary-General of The Arab League
NA of Armenia to Hold Closed Discussion With General Staff Chief Of Army
Pashinyan: Armenia and Moldova Have Brilliant Political Relations
More Than 1,500 Cases of Death From Coronavirus
EU-Armenia Investment Forum to Be Held in Luxembourg
Armenian Human Rights Activist Was Searched Naked in Turkey (video)
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Pashinyan, Aliyev to Attend Discussion on NK Konflict in Munich
Armenia, Germany Keen to Deepen Economic Cooperation
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Is Russia's Newly Appointed Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin of Armenian Origin?
Georgi Kutoyan Left for His Apartment on Paruyr Sevak Street Telling Family Members About his Intention to Rest for 2-3 Days: IC Unveils Details
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
Wind: 3 km/h