Iran and Russia Will Deepen Their Military Cooperation
Russia and Iran have signed this week a memorandum on the implementation of the agreement for the delivery of the Russian S-300 missile defense systems to Iran, a senior official from the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said, Sputnik reports.
"This week, a memorandum on the implementation of the agreement to supply Russian S-300 missile defense systems to Iran has been signed," the official told RIA Novosti. He added that the memorandum does not specify a specific time frame, the number of systems to be delivered or prices.
It should be noted that in 2007 Iran signed a contract worth $800mln to buy five Russian S300 missile defense systems. But in 2010 Russia suspended the delivery due to pressure from Western countries over sanctions on Iran’s nuclear program. However, in January Tehran and Moscow signed an agreement to broaden their cooperation in defense sphere, Iranian News Agency FARS says. The agreement was signed by General Dehqan and his visiting Russian counterpart General Sergei Shoigu in a meeting in Tehran. The Iranian and Russian defense ministers agreed to resolve the existing problems which have prevented the delivery of Russia's advanced air defense systems to Iran in recent years.
In April 2015 Russian President Vladimir Putin removed the ban on the delivery of the missile shield to Iran. And the Iranian side said it hoped the air defense system will be delivered to Iran before the end of 2015.
After the signing of the Iranian nuclear deal Iran demanded a solution to this problem. The problem of the delivery of the Russian S-300 missile defense systems was one of the main issues that were discussed during the visit of Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif to Moscow in August 2015, Al-Monitor says.
Now the signing of the memorandum means that Russia is going to use these new geopolitical realities and deepen military and defence cooperation with Iran.
As expected, the Pentagon warned Iran of possible U.S. military action because of Tehran’s deal with Russia, World Bulletin reports. "We don't see this as a positive development", - Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told reporters. He said the US may respond even with "military options". As The Hill reports, Cook noted the U.S. has expressed its concerns to Russia over the sale. He also added that "they are confident in their capabilities, even if that system is sold".
The American Congress is still to vote on a resolution of disapproval ont the nuclear deal in September. Thus, the deepening of the military cooperation between Iran and Russia may create obstacles for the US President Barack Obama as he tries to press Congress to back the Iranian nuclear deal. At the same time, Israel may use this as a tool to activate its anti-Iranian campaign.
- US Extends Iran Nuclear Cooperation Sanctions Waivers The move by the Trump administration, which in 2018 withdrew from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and reimposed sanctions on Iran, will allow non-proliferation work to continue at the Arak heavy-water research...
- Iran's Nuclear Enrichment at Higher Level than before 2015 Deal: Rouhani Iran has gradually scaled back its commitments under the nuclear deal in retaliation to Washington’s withdrawal from the pact in 2018 and its reimposition of sanctions that have crippled the country’s...
- EU’s Dispute Mechanism "A Strategic Mistake": FM Zarif After the mechanism is implemented, Iran would be given 15 days to resolve the dispute with the three European signatories to the nuclear deal.
- Dispute Resolution Mechanism On Iranian Deal To Be Launched The UK, Germany and France will notify the EU on Tuesday that they are launching a dispute resolution mechanism as part of the implementation of the Iranian deal (JCPOA), Reuters reported referring to...
- Johnson: Let's Do a 'Trump Deal' to Replace the Iran Nuclear Deal British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday called on U.S. President Donald Trump to replace the Iranian nuclear deal with his own new agreement.
- Russian Parliament Backs Changes In Constitution Constitutional changes allowing Vladimir Putin to run for president again in 2024 sailed through Russia’s lower house of parliament on Wednesday, opening the way for him to potentially stay in power...
- Russian Government Resigns President Vladimir Putin thanked Dmitry Medvedev’s government for its work.
- Former Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov Dies Yury Luzhkov, the former mayor of Moscow, has died Tuesday at age 83, a source close to him told Interfax.
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Statement on Protests in Moscow I call on the Russian authorities to release political prisoners.
- Trump Says He will Meet Russia’s Putin at G-20 Summit Next Week In an interview on Fox News, Trump said he would hold meetings with Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump confirmed earlier this week he would be meeting with Xi.
Nikol Pashinyan Will Answer People’s Questions Live On April 6
ANCA Calls On US To Reprogram $25mln In Armenia Aid ToFight COVID-19
The National Presented The Reflections Of Armen Sarkissian
We’re Analyzing Armenian National Team Matches Thoroughly: Joaquin Caparros
Russia MFA Comments Estonian "Data" On Moscow And Yerevan Relations
Vanadzor Mayor: There Are coronavirus Cases In Vanadzor
Embassy Of Armenia In Ukraine Worka On Organizing A Charter Flight Kiev - Yerevan
Steps to Boost Agricultural Production Discussed in Government
Armenia Records 770 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Commemoration of Raising of Lazarus
Kim Kardashian Shares App Results that Shows Her Nationality
Russia's Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin Dances to Armenian Song (VIDEO)
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Azerbaijani Disinformation
Reuters: Elizabeth II To Address The Nation Over Coronavirus
Peru Limits Movement by Gender to Stem Coronavirus Spread: BBC
Azerbaijan Tries To Cover Up Its Own Actions By Spreading Desinformation
Criminal Cases Initiated On Incidents During Artsakh Elections
Works are Being Carried out at Bagratashen Checkpoint to Reduce Pile-ups on the Territories of Noth Armenia and Georgia
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
Ex-chief of Armenian Army's General Staff on Four-Day Artsakh War
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 9 km/h