Greece Will Welcome Abbas with Recognition Resolution
Greek Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee submitted a draft resolution, asking the government to recognize Palestine as a state. The resolution has been drawn up by SYRIZA ahead of the visit of the Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to Athens on December 21. Greece’s parliament is set to vote resolution on December 22, Greek News Agency Ekathimerini reports.
The non-binding resolution can be considered as more a symbolic gesture, as according to Greece, it aims at promoting the resumption of Palestinian-Israeli negotiations. 136 of the 193 member states of the United Nations have recognized the State of Palestine. During the recent years Palestinian Authority has been working actively to obtain international recognition both by the states and international organizations.
It should be noted that on November 29, 2012 the UN General Assembly de facto recognized the sovereign State of Palestine. Since then the recognition process has intensified. In 2014 the Swedish Parliament recognized the State of Palestine. Sweden became the first European country to recognize Palestine. Parliaments of the UK, France, Spain, Ireland, Belgium and Portugal also called their governments to recognize Palestine, as well as the European Parliament. In 2015 the Vatican officially recognized the existence of a Palestinian state. In October, in front of the United Nations in New York for the first time the flag of the Palestinian Authority was raised.
This wave of recognition tries to put pressure on both sides to start negotiations. This process, of course, worries Israel, which says that recognition should come after the two sides reach a two-state solution.
- Trump Administration Preparing to Roll out Kushner’s Israeli-Palestinian "Peace Plan": Sources Potential causes for delay could include the upcoming holidays of Passover and Ramadan.
- Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: Why Is the Game Ruled by Israel? Tensions have flared up again in Gaza recently. Israel has blocked the border with Gaza and is deploying army. Earlier Israel, despite the ceasefire reached by the Egyptian mediation, struck the military...
- Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled? The Eurovision song contest may be cancelled amid conflict escalation between Israel and Palestine. .
- Trump’s Decision Over Golan Heights May Create a Mess US president Donald Trump made his next controversial Twitter post, “After 52 years it is time for the United States to fully recognize Israel’s Sovereignty over the Golan Heights, which is of critical...
- Israel Strikes 100 Targets in Gaza in Response to Rockets Fired at Tel Aviv Shortly thereafter, alarms sounded again in Israel's south. The Israeli army said two rockets were launched from Gaza, one of them intercepted by Iron Dome. No injuries or damages were reported.
Recognition Path of the Armenian Genocide Through 2018-2019
The Armenian People Have Voiced Their Vision of Settlement of Artsakh Issue
Netanyahu: I Will Name a Golan Town After Trump
Armen Sarkissian Discussed with Philanthropists George and Caroline Najarians Possibilities of Implementing Charity Programs in Gyumri
INSIGHT FROM YEREVAN: The Legal Aspects of the Armenian Genocide
Turkish Presidency Communications Director Calls on the Global Armenian Community to Visit the Site of Akhtamar Church
Putin: North Korea Wants to Denuclearize But Needs Security Guarantees
Macron Will Announce a Package of Measures That Could Include Lower Taxes
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Blast in Town East of Sri Lankan Capital
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Uruguay Vice President Lucia Topolansky
Iran's Khamenei Says US Oil Sanctions Won’t Go "Without Response"
France Marks First National Commemoration of Armenian Genocide
Putin And Kim Pledge Stronger Ties in Vladivostok
It Is a Crime that Turkey Doesn't Want to Return Mount Ararat to Armenians: Zhirinovsky
This Is a Cut-and-Paste Policy, Set in Ankara by Turkish Dictators: ANCA Slams Trump over Failure to Condemn Genocide
French Ambassador Tweeted On The Occasion Of The Armenian Genocide
2019 Aurora Prize Nominees Announced
''Today, We Commemorate the Meds Yeghern''- Donald Trump
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Members of the Board of Directors of the Uruguayan Human Rights Defenders Institute
My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE)
Who is Zahran Hashim, Alleged Mastermind of One of the Sri Lanka Attacks?
Sarkis Torossian, Armenian Hero of Gallipoli Campaign
Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled?
Sir Khachik Paul Chater, Father of Hong Kong
Armenian Community Has Been Deeply Moved by the Fire of Notre Dame Cathedral: Daniele Cazarian - French Deputy of Armenian Origin (EXCLUSIVE)
More Than 70 American Lawmakers Seek US Official Recognition of Armenian Genocide with New Resolution
Assyrian New Year Stands For Nature Revival And Fertility: Interview With Arsen Mikhailov (EXCLUSIVE)
In Case of Attempts by Azerbaijan to Resolve the Conflict by Force, Artsakh has Every Right to Protect its Freedom and Independence. Artsakh's MFA
It is Not Artsakh Issue, It is All-Armenian Issue: Artsakh Republic National Assembly MP Vardges Baghryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 6 km/h