Greece Will Welcome Abbas with Recognition Resolution
Greek Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee submitted a draft resolution, asking the government to recognize Palestine as a state. The resolution has been drawn up by SYRIZA ahead of the visit of the Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to Athens on December 21. Greece’s parliament is set to vote resolution on December 22, Greek News Agency Ekathimerini reports.
The non-binding resolution can be considered as more a symbolic gesture, as according to Greece, it aims at promoting the resumption of Palestinian-Israeli negotiations. 136 of the 193 member states of the United Nations have recognized the State of Palestine. During the recent years Palestinian Authority has been working actively to obtain international recognition both by the states and international organizations.
It should be noted that on November 29, 2012 the UN General Assembly de facto recognized the sovereign State of Palestine. Since then the recognition process has intensified. In 2014 the Swedish Parliament recognized the State of Palestine. Sweden became the first European country to recognize Palestine. Parliaments of the UK, France, Spain, Ireland, Belgium and Portugal also called their governments to recognize Palestine, as well as the European Parliament. In 2015 the Vatican officially recognized the existence of a Palestinian state. In October, in front of the United Nations in New York for the first time the flag of the Palestinian Authority was raised.
This wave of recognition tries to put pressure on both sides to start negotiations. This process, of course, worries Israel, which says that recognition should come after the two sides reach a two-state solution.
- Israel Begins Demolishing Palestinian Homes near Separation Wall The Israeli Supreme Court ruled in favour of the military last month, ending a seven-year legal battle, and set Monday as the deadline to knock down the homes.
- Trump Administration Preparing to Roll out Kushner’s Israeli-Palestinian "Peace Plan": Sources Potential causes for delay could include the upcoming holidays of Passover and Ramadan.
- Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: Why Is the Game Ruled by Israel? Tensions have flared up again in Gaza recently. Israel has blocked the border with Gaza and is deploying army. Earlier Israel, despite the ceasefire reached by the Egyptian mediation, struck the military...
- Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled? The Eurovision song contest may be cancelled amid conflict escalation between Israel and Palestine. .
- Trump’s Decision Over Golan Heights May Create a Mess US president Donald Trump made his next controversial Twitter post, “After 52 years it is time for the United States to fully recognize Israel’s Sovereignty over the Golan Heights, which is of critical...
Meeting with President of the Russian Dance Union Stanislaw Popov
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia: the Air Temperature will Go Down
Millions of Barrels of Iranian Oil Are Piled Up in China’s Ports
"The Authority of Each Officer Should be Much Greater than that of His Epaulettes"- Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Graduates of Military Educational Institutions
Israel Begins Demolishing Palestinian Homes near Separation Wall
Ararat Mirzoyan Meets with Representatives of the Armenian Community of Boston
Cooperation of EU and Armenia Is On the Right Track – Ambassador Świtalski
Armenian Defense Minister Doesn’t See Anything to Worry About Border Situation
U.N. Nuclear Watchdog Chief Amano Dies Aged 72
EU Preps Aid for Ireland to Soften a No-Deal Brexit
Iran Says Breaks up CIA Spy Ring, Some Sentenced to Death
Decrees Appointing Deputy Heads of the Artsakh Republic Investigation Committee
Nepal and India Floods Leave Many Dead
President of Artsakh Attends Final of International Sport Dance Contest-Festival in Stepanakert
Pashinyan: Talented Generals Win Without War
Ukraine Election: Zelensky's Party Set to Win Big in Parliamentary Vote
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Snap Parliamentary Elections Going On Today in Ukraine
Body of Serviceman Found at Military Position
Either President of Constitutional Court Must Step Down or Constitutional Reforms Possible: Lena Nazaryan
RA-EU Partnership Road-Map Hardly Overlaps EEU Regulations
Magnifier: Office of High Commissioner on Diaspora
Charles Aznavour's Love Letters to Be Put Up for Auction
For Who the Ministry of Diaspora was Abolished
Insight From Yerevan: Outcomes of Armenia And Azerbaijan FM Meeting
PM Nikol Pashinyan, Mrs. Anna Hakobyan Arrive in Singapore on Official Visit; They Met with Local and Neighboring Countries’ Armenian Communities
Armenia Won't Go to Unilateral Concessions which Endanger Artsakh’s Security and Right to Self-Determination
Artsakh’s Foreign Ministry Welcome the Adoption of the Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of the US House of Representatives
President of Artsakh Visited the Construction Site of a New Residential Community in Capital Stepanakert
Armenian Speaker of Parliament Meets with President of the House of Representatives of Cyprus Demetris Syllouris
Wind: 14 km/h