Aliyev Began the Operation "Heritage"
After the appointment of Mehriban Aliyeva on the post of first vice-president, she became the second most important and influential figure in Azerbaijan. In case the President for some reason is unable to perform his duties, his functions will do his wife.
This appointment was possible thanks to the constitutional amendments held in Azerbaijan in September 2016, which, as we see in practice, aimed at strengthening the hereditary rule of the Aliyev dynasty. It should be noted, that since 2000s all the constitutional "reforms" served this purpose. In 2003, “reforms” were carried out in order Ilham Aliyev came to power, in 2009 - that he could win the elections for unlimited times, and in 2016 - in order to facilitate the task of the transmission of power to the family members. It should be noted that the ultimate goal of Aliyev is to hand over power to his son - Heydar Aliyev Junior. Taking into account that the latter is too young for such a position, Aliyev was forced to resort to complex combinations, lowering the age limit and extending the power of the president. Already in 2025, we can see Heydar Aliyev Jr. in high leadership positions. But before that he needed to keep power in the hands of the family and to prevent any ambitions by a third party. For such a role in the transitional period, perhaps the most convenient candidate is Mehriban.
At the same time it should not be forgotten that Mehriban Aliyeva is from Pashayev clan, which influence is not inferior to the Aliyev clan’s influence. Consequently, such an appointment is important to avoid inter-clan clashes and retain the balance in the country. These developments in Azerbaijan are not incomprehensible not only for the West (it is enough to remember the scandal around the former French Prime Minister Francois Fillon, who is now candidate for president, because of his wife's work and received the salary in the parliament), but for the East: the most known for its influence on the political life of the eastern "first" ladies is Sheikha Mozah – second of three wives of the Emir of Qatar, whose influence on the political life of the country is so large, that after Emir left power, the power passed not to his eldest son, but to his son from Mozah.
In fact, Azerbaijan is the only country in the modern world, moreover, as people say in Baku, state with "democratic values", where such developments are perceivable. Perhaps this is because of the merits of Mehriban Aliyeva, for which she was awarded by Ilham Aliyev a medal after Heydar Aliyev...
- Armenian delegation to leave for Baku upon PM's decision During those days, Baku will be hosting the 14th meeting of the Intergovernmental Commission of the Transport Corridor Europe Caucasus Asia (TRACECA) and the meeting dedicated to the 20th anniversary of...
- MFA of Armenia: Azerbaijan Had an Opportunity to Show How Real It Is to Prepare the People for Peace Azerbaijan had an "opportunity to show how real it is to prepare the people for peace", said the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan to CNN, speaking about the...
- Azerbaijan And European Union at Odds Azerbaijan does not succeed in enshrining the desired wording in its documents with the European Union.
- INSIGHT From Yerevan: Developments In And Around Azerbaijan “Insight From Yerevan: Realpolitik” hosts Taron Hovhannisyan, expert at “Orbeli” analytical center to discuss tension escalation across the border, developments in and around Azerbaijan.
- Newly Appointed US Ambassador to Azerbaijan: Earle D. Litzenberger’s Diplomatic Path On March 12, 2019, newly appointed US ambassador to Azerbaijan Earle D. Litzenberger handed his credentials to Ilham Aliyev and thus officially took up his office of head of the US diplomatic mission...
Weather Forecast in Armenia: No Precipitation Predicted During the Coming Days
Armenia Ready to Grant Reciprocal Rights to the UK During the Implementation Period: Armenia's Foreign Ministry Spokesperson
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
Armenia, Azerbaijan FMs to Meet on January 29-30 in Geneva
Pope Francis Prays for Those Affected by the Coronavirus
Trump Says His Legal Team 'Shredded' Democrats in Impeachment Trial
Commemoration of Martyrs Sts. Eugenios, Makarios, Valerios, Canditos and Akyoughas
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Pashinyan: Armenia highly values its traditionally warm relationship with India
Pashinyan Sent a Congratulatory Message to Australia’s Prime Minister
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Armenia Bans Import of Animal Products, Raw Materials From China
China Announced 15 More Deaths From Coronavirus
Trump Rejected Iran's Proposal To Lift Sanctions
Pashinyan Doesn’t Rule out Possibility of Meeting Aliyev at Munich Security Conference
Regional Peace and Security - Responsibility of Leaders of Armenia, Artsakh and Azerbaijan
Coronavirus: 41 Dead, More Than 1,000 Cases in China
Nikol Pashinyan: “The Most Important Goal of the Ongoing Police Reform is to Forge New Police-Citizen Relationship”
Turkey Earthquake: At Least 19 Dead, More than 600 Injured
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
For the First Time Ever Istanbul's Mayor Issues a Condolence Note on the Day of the Assassination of Hrant Dink
The Hill: Armenian Church of Iran Included in Trump's List which He Threatened to Target
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Georgi Kutoyan Left for His Apartment on Paruyr Sevak Street Telling Family Members About his Intention to Rest for 2-3 Days: IC Unveils Details
Wind: 3 km/h