Families Flee Mosul As Iraqi Troops Cose in On ISIL
Hundreds of civilians fled Mosul’s Old City on Friday (June 30) as US-backed Iraqi forces engaged in fierce fighting with die-hard Islamic State militants making their final stand in the country’s second-largest city, the Euronews reports.
Families streamed through alleyways near the Grand al-Nuri Mosque, where ISIL leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi proclaimed the group’s so-called caliphate in 2014 and which ISIL fighters reportedly blew up a week ago as Iraqi forces closed in.
Authorities say they’re just days away from fully retaking the city but the battle is a tough one, with pockets of fighters and snipers dug in among civilians.
This week’s capture of the mosque by government troops was a major victory, and Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared on Thursday the end of ISIL’s self-proclaimed caliphate.
But the eight months of fighting have taken a huge toll on the people of Mosul. Thousands of civilians have been killed, according to aid organizations, and the International Organisation for Migration estimates close to 900,00 people – about half the city’s pre-war population – have fled since the offensive started last October. The Iraqi government had initially pledged the city would be liberated in 2016.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
Putin, Macron Discuss Nagorno-Karabakh
Statement by Members of the UN Security Council Puts a Final End to the Speculations of the Azerbaijani Authorities: Artsakh MFA
Video Showing that Azerbaijan Handed Over the Air Command of Offensive Operations against Artsakh to the Turkish Air Forces
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Talking to Charles Michel, Nikol Pashinyan Stresses the Inadmissibility of Turkey’s Involvement in Hostilities
We Have Yet to See what Problems These Mercenaries Will Cause for the Azerbaijani People: Arayik Harutyunyan
Russia Has to Talk with Armenia and Turkey, not Azerbaijan: President of Artsakh
Russia's MFA Urges to Immediately Withdraw Foreign Mercenaries and Terrorists from the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Lose 29 Tanks and Equipment, Suffer 130 Casualties
Prime Minister Pashinyan Briefs Hassan Rouhani on Turkey's Involvement in Hostilities
Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and Sergey Lavrov Held a Phone Conversation
Takeover of an Azerbaijan position (video)
Azerbaijan Handed over the Air Command of Offensive Operations against the Artsakh to the Turkish Air Forces
New Destructions of the Adversary Strongholds and Military Equipment
Armen Sarkissian Informed the Emir of Qatar on the War Unleashed by Azerbaijan against Nagorno Karabakh
Georgia’s PM Offers NK Conflicting Parties to Meet in Tbilisi for Talks
Three Civilians Killed in Artsakh's Martakert as a Result of Azerbaijan's Attacks
The Defense Army has Noticeable Achievements in Several Directions
Armen Sarkissian Appealed to the Heads of Some Arab states on the Occasion of Azerbaijan’s Military Actions against Artsakh
Special Meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council to Discuss the Situation in the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict Zone
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Ancient Armenian Fortress Surfaces from under Lake Van
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
ICRC Representatives Visited Armenian Captives In Azerbaijan
Azerbaijani Side Launches New Fortification Works on the Border, Armenian Side Suspends such Activities
Armenia, Artsakh ex-President Kocharyan: Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Has Never Been Part of Independent Azerbaijan
Armenia Records 47877 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Nikol Pashinyan On UN 75th Anniversary: "Rejection of the right to self-determination could only lead to oppression and further violence"
OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Invited the Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan to Meet Individually
Wind: 7 km/h