"Egg scandal" in the European Commission
Police in the Netherlands have detained two men suspected of being involved in the illegal use of a pesticide in the poultry industry. Millions of fipronil-contaminated eggs have been recalled since the scandal broke, DW reports.
Dutch prosecutors said in a statement on Thursday that the men are directors of a company that allegedly used an unauthorized insecticide at poultry farms.
Investigators in the Netherlands and Belgium made the arrests during a string of coordinated raids linked to their probe into how fipronil, which can be harmful to humans, made it into the food chain.
"The Dutch investigation focused on the Dutch company that allegedly used fipronil, a Belgian supplier as well as a Dutch company that colluded with the Belgian supplier," the prosecutors said.
"They are suspected of putting public health in danger by supplying and using fipronil in pens containing egg-laying chickens."
Authorities in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany recalled millions of eggs at the start of the month after the discovery of fipronil in batches delivered to supermarkets. Dozens of poultry farms, mainly in the Netherlands but also in Belgium, have been closed down, while supermarkets have cleared tainted eggs from their shelves.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
Heads of Armed Forces’ Air Defense Forces and Engineering Troops Dismissed
Pope Francis Remembers his 2016 Visit to Armenia
Armenia President, Bright Armenia Party Leader Meet, Discuss Domestic Political Situation
Armenia Records 224635 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Armenia Ombudsman: I Sent Video of Azerbaijan President-Turkey's First Lady Talk to EU Administration
Russia, Together with Other MG Co-Chairs, Helps the Parties to the Karabakh Conflict to Build Confidence: Lavrov
Putin, Erdogan Discuss Implementation of November 9, January 11 Statements
Government Extends Temporary Ban on Imports of Turkish-Made Goods for 6 Months
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Phone Conversation with Vladimir Putin
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenia Acting PM Signs Decision to Send Delegation to Moscow
Spanish Journalists Working near Armenia-Azerbaijan Border Threatened by Azerbaijani Forces
Five New Cases of Coronavirus Reported in Artsakh
Armenia Records 224533 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Feast of the Holy Translators St. Sahak and St. Mesrop
Civil Contract Party's and Two Opposition Blocs' Votes Increase after Recount
Armenian POWs Held in Azerbaijan Must be Released without Preconditions – Italian MPs
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
The President of China Congratulated President Armen Sarkissian on His Birthday
Russia Made Landmark Contribution to Nagorno-Karabakh Settlement: Putin
United States Calls on Azerbaijan and Armenia to Relocate Forces to the Positions They Held on May 11
Elections in Armenia: To Be or Not to Be?
With His Visit Philip Reeker Tried to Understand the Role and Significance of the Region in the US Global Agenda
Ebrahim Raisi Leads Iran Presidential Election with 17.8m Votes
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Regarding the Inadmissibility of the False Charges Against Armenian POWs and Captured Civilians
Armenia Reports 81 Daily Coronavirus Cases
German Chancellor Angela Merkel to Visit White House on July 15
The ''Decapitated" Foreign Ministry and the Growing Challenges of Armenia's Foreign Policy
Armen Sarkissian Holds Phone Conversation with NSS, Police Chiefs Ahead of Snap Elections
Moscow Calls on Yerevan and Baku to Resolve All Emerging Problems Peacefully