Moldova-Armenia Cooperation Builds New Bridges between the EAEU and EU
The visit of the president of the Republic of Moldova, Igor Dodon, to Armenia was an important stage in the activation of the cooperation between Yerevan and Chisinau. Armenia is on the eve of signing a new comprehensive agreement with the European Union, while Moldova, as an associate member, aims at establishing cooperation with the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU). Moldova has already got an observer status in the EAEU (by the way Moldova has become the first observer country in the EAEU).
In fact, Armenia and Moldova have chosen the same path combining the two integration processes, still moving in different vectors. In this context the exchange of experience is very important. By the way, it should be highlighted not only for the two countries, but for the two unions. In the end, despite the existing contradictions and the tense relations between the West and Russia, the perspective of cooperation between the EU and EAEU continues to be on the agenda not being an issue of the very near future.
What refers to the weak political support of Dodon (the party headed by Dodon, Socialists of the Republic of Moldova, has no majority in the parliament), the situation can change in the future. In the autumn of 2018 there are parliamentary elections in Moldova, and according to the results of the surveys conducted by the Public Opinion Foundation by the order of "Timpul" newspaper, in case the parliamentary elections are organized now, Dodon’s party will gain 44.5 percent, while the pro-European Democratic party, which has the majority of votes today, will gain 55 percent of the votes. The newly formed Party of Action and Solidarity will be in the third place. It means that Dodon will sufficiently strengthen its positions and will be able to move more confidently in the direction of deepening the cooperation with the EAEU.
Thus, the cooperation with Moldova can have its contribution to strengthening the position and role of Armenia in the EAEU. In parallel, it will build bridges between the European and Eurasian unions.
Besides, in the context of the current grouping tendencies of the Eastern Partnership countries (the countries that signed the Association Agreement are grouped, while Armenia is considered with Belarus and Azerbaijan as the ones that did not sign the agreement), it is important for Armenia to have a loyal ally among the EaP countries, that will help to overcome that grouping and to engage in the format of "associated countries" after the signing of the EU-Armenia agreement.
Other materials on this subject
- Moldova's Fledgling Government Brought Down by no Confidence Vote Parties now have 90 days to try to form a new government. If they fail to do so, another parliamentary election would be called.
- Political Crisis in Moldova: Will There Be an End to the Dual Power? In Moldova, the dual power established since Saturday continues, President Igor Dodon has summoned a Security Council session. He has canceled the decree on dissolving the parliament.
- Moldova Court Relieves Dodon of Duty as President Dodon is a former chief of the Socialist party and backed the formation of the new government.
- Moldova Court Suspends President Dodon The court reportedly relieved Dodon of his duties because he failed to approve any candidate put forward by the prime minister to appoint two subordinate ministers.
- The Constitutional Court Suspended Moldovan President's power: What Does It Mean? For the first time the part of Dodon’s power was taken away in October. Then he twice rejected the candidacy of Eugen Sturza, proposed for the post of Minister of Defense.
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 6.69 km/h