Will the OIC Summit Results Change the Situation Created Over Jerusalem?
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) declared East Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine, called the US stance as "dangerous" and urged the international community to follow in its footsteps, Al Jazeera reports.
At a summit held in Turkey a week after US President Donald Trump declared Jerusalem as Israel's capital, a group of Muslim leaders on Wednesday called on all countries to "recognize the State of Palestine and East Jerusalem as its occupied capital".
The resolution notes that the United States has lost the role of mediator in the Middle East. OIC urged Washington to reverse the decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, warning that otherwise responsibility for all consequences will lie on the United States.
Experts note that such statements were expected, and in its nature it is quite balanced, because it is not radicalized and it states the actual situation. In this context it should be noted that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the statements made at the extraordinary summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation did not impress him, and he expressed confidence that in the future many countries will recognize Jerusalem as the capital of a Jewish state, following the example of the United States. Тhe head of the Israeli government advised the Palestinians to "recognize reality and work towards peace, not radicalization."
But obviously there will hardly be peace in the region in the near future. The Palestinians continue the protest actions in the West Bank, as well as in the Gaza Strip, which turn into clashes with Israeli forces. HAMAS regularly releases missiles from the Gaza Strip in the direction of Israel, in response to which the Israeli army strikes the Gaza Strip.
These are probably the main practical steps through which the Palestinians and the Muslim world are trying to cancel Trump's decision. The other practical step is that Palestine intends to apply to the UN in order to become a full member of the organization. This was said by Mahmoud Abbas, the head of the Palestinian National Authority after the OIC summit in Ankara.
In general, as the summits of the Arab League and the Organization of the Islamic Cooperation (OIC), as well as the separate reaction of Arab and Islamic countries show, the Arab-Muslim world fails to take drastic measures against the US decision and is satisfied with criticizing statements.
- U.S. Sounds Abbas Out on Palestinian-Jordan Confederation A statement from Abbas’s office said the president emphasized in the meeting that “peace must be reached no matter how great the challenges and difficulties it faces.”
- EU Vows to Keep Backing UNRWA after Trump Scraps US Financial Aid It also urged the US to reconsider the decision to halt funding for the United Nations relief and works agency for Palestinian refugees.
- Trump: Israel will Have a PM Named Mohammed if no Deal Abdullah urged Trump not to present the administration’s peace plan. "There are too many difficulties right now. We don’t have to hurry with presenting the American peace plan," he reportedly said.
- Israel: All the Citizens are Equal, but Jews are More Than Equal The adoption of such a law naturally cannot but cause serious dissatisfaction among the Arabs of Israel who constitute 20% of the 8 million population of the country, as well as among the Palestinian Authorities.
- Hamas and Israel Agree to Return to a Ceasefire in Gaza Hamas said on Wednesday that armed groups in the Gaza Strip had agreed to a deal with Israel following a night of air strikes targeting several Hamas and Islamic Jihad positions in the coastal enclave.
Trump: Iranians Must 'Change Their Tune' before any Meeting
Google Chrome Authorizes Users Without Their Consent
Nikol Pashinyan Visits Armenia Exhibition at New York’s Metropolitan Museum (Photos)
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received the Delegation of the French Town of Alfortville
North Korea Made Great Progress in Denuclearization
Russian President holds phone talks with Israeli PM
First Meeting of EU-RA Partnership Committee in Trade Configuration under the CEPA to Be Held in Yerevan today
Azerbaijani Opposition Figures Oppose Putin's Visit
EU to Set Up a Mechanism to Continue Legitimate Business with Iran
Excessive Drinking Killed over 3 million People in 2016
"Days of Artsakh in France" Festival to be Concluded
PM Nikol Pashinyan Attends Nelson Mandela Peace Summit at UN Headquarters and Delivers a Speech
Nikol Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary-General António Guterres
In theFramework of the Summit of Minds President Met with the Leaders of Over Two Dozen Companies
Poland to be Referred to EU's Top Court
Russia to Send S-300s to Syria within 2 Weeks
Armenian PM Instructs to Set Up Working Group to Study Gas Prices
Moldova Court Suspends President Dodon
Shinzo Abe and Trump Hold Constructive Talks on Trade and North Korea
Rouhani: Americans Want Iran to Have no Security
Pashinyan: Karabakh Should Become a Part of Armenia
Erdogan Wants to Build a Seljuk Style Presidential Palace on Shores of Lake Van
Dan Bilzerian Registers in the Armenian Armed Forces
US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan
Gevorg Harutyunyan Took the Third Place at the "New Wave -2018" International Music Contest
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Jean-Claude Van Damme to Be on Hand at Comedy Club Festival in Yerevan
"Declaration of Independence Laid Foundation of Artsakh’s State-Building’ – Armenian President Extends Congrats on 27th Anniversary
Dan Bilzerian Heads to Artsakh
In the Past There Were More Armenians in Baku than Azerbaijanis, and More Armenians in Tbilisi than Georgians - Zatulin
Wind: 6.44 km/h