Our Ultimate Goal is to Have a United Armenia: Head of the "Democracy" Faction of Artsakh National Assembly
"Armedia" IAA prepared a series of interviews with representatives of all four factions of the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia and Artsakh each, trying to summarize the steps taken in 2017 and the plans for 2018. We present an exclusive interview of "Armedia" IAA with Vardges Baghryan, Head of the "Democracy" faction of the National Assembly of Artsakh Republic.
- Mr. Baghryan, what was the most important development in 2017 for the National Assembly of the Republic of Artsakh?
- First of all, it should be noted that the National Assembly had rather active participation in the process of drafting and adopting the Constitution. As you know, on February 20, we adopted a new Constitution. The existing laws naturally must be brought into line with the new Constitution. A part of this process was done in 2017, but it will continue until 2020, and there is still much to do.
I would also like to say that we had quite a lot of guests from abroad, with different groups of MPs, intellectuals, groups that were for the first time in Artsakh. I must say that the group from Turkey made a very good impression on us thanks to their objective thinking on Karabakh conflict.
It is worth mentioning the fact that after the formation of a new government, when the President is not only the head of the country, but also the head of the government, not only the ministers, but also the President already responds to the deputies' questions at the National Assembly.
- Please summarize the 2017 events and your work activity. What are the main accomplishments and omissions you can highlight?
- You know that the "Democracy" faction is pro-government one. As in the previous years, in 2017 as well, we naturally approved the government's activities, and we also took responsibility in them. We have come up with thirty-three proposals regarding the new Constitution, and we must state that most of them have been accepted. We think that in Artsakh there should be a strong, centralized President's Institute rather than a parliamentary government. In the warring country, we believe, the presidential administration works much better.
- What will be the main directions of your work in 2018?
- As I mentioned, in 2018 we will continue the process of bringing our legislation in line with the new Constitution. The process is quite difficult. As for the existing law on local self-governing bodies, it is possible that instead of amendments, a new law will be introduced.
Next year we will also take steps to advance Artsakh's right to self-determination on various international platforms. Perhaps this one is the most important issue.
- Mr. Baghryan, referring to the New Year, how do you usually celebrate it?
- Each year is a year of expectations. You know that in 2018 we have some anniversaries to celebrate both in Mother Armenia and Artsakh. It is the 30th anniversary of Karabakh Movement. We have to understand what we achieved, what are we now and what we should do after reaching our cherished goal and dream, which, in my deepest belief, is to have a united Armenia. I personally, as well as the prevailing majority of Armenians believe that as Artsakh once used to be the 10th province of the Greater Armenia, it should continue that way. Our nowadays status is a transitional phase in reaching our ultimate goal, which, of course, should be determined by the people not only in Artsakh, but also in Armenia and the Diaspora as we liberated Artsakh together.
- What would you wish to our readers in 2018?
- First of all, I wish peace. I would like to see that no soldier's parent's eyes are wet, and the boys do their duty to their homeland and return home. We must also understand that in civil life we also need to serve our homeland.
- Discussion with Azerbaijan’s Aliyev in Munich is Turning Point: Nikol Pashinyan In addition, he said, a very important thing happened as a result of that meeting; "A new content of the negotiations on the Karabakh issue is being formulated, which I conventionally call the Munich Principles."
- Nikol Pashinyan Attends Panel Discussion on the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict on the Sidelines of the Munich Security Conference Before the panel discussion, Prime Minister Pashinyan had a brief interview with the President of Azerbaijan.
- Pashinyan, Aliyev to Attend Discussion on NK Konflict in Munich The discussion will take place on February 15, from 17:30 to 18:15 local time (20:30-21:15 Yerevan time).
- We do Not Ract to Unknown Users' 'Deleted Tweets': Foreign Ministry Spokesperson (Tert.am) As for the second part of your question, Mr Kasprzyk visits all the three parties to the conflict.
- The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan The false and empty claims of Azerbaijan pretending that representatives of Nagorno-Karabakh have been elected in those elections vividly illustrate Azerbaijan's distorted perception of democracy.
- President of Artsakh Convened a Working Consultation in the Martouni Regional Center Minister of State Grigory Martirosyan and other officials were present at the consultation.
- President of Artsakh Attends Meeting of Defense Army’s Military Council The President highlighted that the Defense Army had always been and would remain the main guarantee of the independence, security and natural development of the Artsakh Republic expressing his confidence...
- President of Artsakh Partook at a Solemn Event Devoted to the Day of the Judicial System Worker President Sahakyan underlined that a fully functioning and professional judicial system complying with the letter and spirit of the law is of utmost importance for the establishment of democratic state,...
- President of Artsakh Attends Opening Ceremony of New Building of Kashatagh Regional Medical Center Minister of state Grigory Martirosyan and other officials partook at the event.
- President of Artsakh Convoked a Working Consultation around a Number of Issues on the Activities of Transport Police State Minister Grigory Martirosyan and other officials partook at the consultation.
- President of Artsakh Met a Group of Members of the Belgian Francophone Circles The Head of the State noted with satisfaction that Artsakh's relations with the Francophone community and structures of Belgium are developing dynamically voicing hope that they will further on strengthen...
- The Working Visit of Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian to the USA has Started The Foreign Minister answered the questions of the participants of the meeting.
- The Statements of the Foreign Ministries of Georgia and Ukraine Constitute an Interference in the Internal Affairs of the Artsakh Republic. Artsakh MFA Statements by the Foreign Ministries of Georgia and Ukraine also contain provisions that distort the essence of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict with the aim to reduce it to a territorial dispute and...
- "Artsakh-France" Friendship Circle Meeting Issues related to the future programs of the friendship circle and the prospects for cooperation have been discussed.
- President of Artsakh Met with a Group of Deputies of the Bulgarian Parliament President Sahakyan noted with satisfaction that the visits of Bulgarian parliamentarians to Artsakh were of a periodic nature expressing hope that cooperation would further expand and deepen.
David Yurchenko to Play for Armenian National Team
Armenia’s DM Instructs Strengthening Discipline and Growth of Quality of Operative-Intelligence Works at Military Police
Mher Grigoryan Attending The Meeting of The Council of the Eurasian Economic Commission
ANCA Calls on US to Match Armenia and Azerbaijan Military Assistance
Putin, Macron and Merkel Call for Resuming Political Dialogue on Libya: Kremlin
Iran Confirmed 13 More New Coronavirus Cases
Iran's President Casts His Vote in Legislative Elections
Miroslav Lajcak Pay An Official Visit To Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Sent a Letter of Condolences on the Demise of the Renowned Conductor Yuri Davtian
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Leaders of EU Members Call for Ceasing Hostilities in Syria's Idlib
Iran Parliamentary Election Kicks Off
Igor Grigoryan Conferred the Rank of the Third Degree Justice State Adviser
President of Artsakh Receives Ombudsman of Armenia
Iraq Closes Southern Border with Iran to Travelers
Discussion with Azerbaijan’s Aliyev in Munich is Turning Point: Nikol Pashinyan
Criminal Sub-Culture Must be Eradicated in the Army: Armenia’s PM
Kardashian Family Had Dinner at Armenian Carousel Restaurant
Armenia is World’s Third Most Militarized County, Report Shows
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
Wind: 5 km/h