Our Ultimate Goal is to Have a United Armenia: Head of the "Democracy" Faction of Artsakh National Assembly
"Armedia" IAA prepared a series of interviews with representatives of all four factions of the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia and Artsakh each, trying to summarize the steps taken in 2017 and the plans for 2018. We present an exclusive interview of "Armedia" IAA with Vardges Baghryan, Head of the "Democracy" faction of the National Assembly of Artsakh Republic.
- Mr. Baghryan, what was the most important development in 2017 for the National Assembly of the Republic of Artsakh?
- First of all, it should be noted that the National Assembly had rather active participation in the process of drafting and adopting the Constitution. As you know, on February 20, we adopted a new Constitution. The existing laws naturally must be brought into line with the new Constitution. A part of this process was done in 2017, but it will continue until 2020, and there is still much to do.
I would also like to say that we had quite a lot of guests from abroad, with different groups of MPs, intellectuals, groups that were for the first time in Artsakh. I must say that the group from Turkey made a very good impression on us thanks to their objective thinking on Karabakh conflict.
It is worth mentioning the fact that after the formation of a new government, when the President is not only the head of the country, but also the head of the government, not only the ministers, but also the President already responds to the deputies' questions at the National Assembly.
- Please summarize the 2017 events and your work activity. What are the main accomplishments and omissions you can highlight?
- You know that the "Democracy" faction is pro-government one. As in the previous years, in 2017 as well, we naturally approved the government's activities, and we also took responsibility in them. We have come up with thirty-three proposals regarding the new Constitution, and we must state that most of them have been accepted. We think that in Artsakh there should be a strong, centralized President's Institute rather than a parliamentary government. In the warring country, we believe, the presidential administration works much better.
- What will be the main directions of your work in 2018?
- As I mentioned, in 2018 we will continue the process of bringing our legislation in line with the new Constitution. The process is quite difficult. As for the existing law on local self-governing bodies, it is possible that instead of amendments, a new law will be introduced.
Next year we will also take steps to advance Artsakh's right to self-determination on various international platforms. Perhaps this one is the most important issue.
- Mr. Baghryan, referring to the New Year, how do you usually celebrate it?
- Each year is a year of expectations. You know that in 2018 we have some anniversaries to celebrate both in Mother Armenia and Artsakh. It is the 30th anniversary of Karabakh Movement. We have to understand what we achieved, what are we now and what we should do after reaching our cherished goal and dream, which, in my deepest belief, is to have a united Armenia. I personally, as well as the prevailing majority of Armenians believe that as Artsakh once used to be the 10th province of the Greater Armenia, it should continue that way. Our nowadays status is a transitional phase in reaching our ultimate goal, which, of course, should be determined by the people not only in Artsakh, but also in Armenia and the Diaspora as we liberated Artsakh together.
- What would you wish to our readers in 2018?
- First of all, I wish peace. I would like to see that no soldier's parent's eyes are wet, and the boys do their duty to their homeland and return home. We must also understand that in civil life we also need to serve our homeland.
- Berdzor Residents Receive Security Guarantees and Stop Evacuation “Without elaborating, I can say that agreements were changed, we’ve received security guarantees. Under my direct responsibility we stopped evacuation in these settlements and we will remain in place,”...
- Defense Army Publishes List of 34 Deceased Servicemen The Defense Army of Artsakh published list of 34 servicemen killed while defending homeland. By now Armenian side published names of 1,712 servicemen killed during the war.
- Artsakh's Charektar and Aknaberd Villages to Remain Under Armenian Party's Control “The residents of Charektar have mainly taken their items and burned their homes, and nobody knows if they will return or if a military base will be deployed in the village,” the village head told...
- Kremlin Does not Comment on Erdogan's Words on Expanding Ceasefire Efforts on Karabakh “The modalities of joint work along the lines of the joint monitoring center" were also at the focus, Peskov added.
- Prime Minister: The Joint Statement Provides for the Return to Their Homes for People living in the Regions of Nagorno-Karabakh Nikol Pashinyan gave an interview to the Russian TASS news agency. Below is the full transcript of the Prime Minister’s interview:
- Arayik Harutyunyan Visited Festive Event On The Occasion Of The Artsakh Republic Proclamation On 8 September Artsakh Republic President Arayik Harutyunyan visited the town of Shoushi and partook in the festive event organized by the "Azat Hayreniq" party on the occasion of the Artsakh Republic...
- One New Case Of The Coronavirus Has Been Registered In Artsakh The Ministry of Health of the Republic of Artsakh informed that one new case of the coronavirus has been registered in Artsakh, but seven more persons have recovered, Information Headquarters reported.
- Artsakh President Awards The Authers Of The Stepanakert Aater Supply System Project The President of Artsakh Republic Arayik Haroutyunyan on Monday received a group of construction engineers and persons in charge on the eve of Artsakh Republic Day
- President of Artsakh Handed in Awards to a Group of Construction Sphere Representatives For the contribution to the sphere and in connection with the professional holiday the republic's President handed in awards and valuable gifts to a group of Artsakh Republic Municipal Engineering Ministry...
- President of Artsakh Signed a Decree On 21 July President Arayik Harutyunyan signed a decree on appointing Armen Sargsyan advisor to the Artsakh Republic President on education, science, culture, youth and sports.
- Council of the French Department of Bouches-du-Rhône adopted a Declaration in support of Artsakh The Bouches-du-Rhône Department also decided to participate in the provision of assistance to Artsakh by providing 50,000 euros in humanitarian aid through the Coordinating Council of Armenian Organizations...
- President of Artsakh Met a Group of Members of the Belgian Francophone Circles The Head of the State noted with satisfaction that Artsakh's relations with the Francophone community and structures of Belgium are developing dynamically voicing hope that they will further on strengthen...
- The Working Visit of Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian to the USA has Started The Foreign Minister answered the questions of the participants of the meeting.
- The Statements of the Foreign Ministries of Georgia and Ukraine Constitute an Interference in the Internal Affairs of the Artsakh Republic. Artsakh MFA Statements by the Foreign Ministries of Georgia and Ukraine also contain provisions that distort the essence of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict with the aim to reduce it to a territorial dispute and...
- "Artsakh-France" Friendship Circle Meeting Issues related to the future programs of the friendship circle and the prospects for cooperation have been discussed.
Trump Implies He Won't Leave White House unless Biden Can Disprove Fraud
168 Explosive Devices Defused in Karabakh in Past Day: Russian Defense Ministry
Nikol Pashinyan to Leave for Moscow
Britain's Derby Recognizes Artsakh Independence
Armenia's PM Appoints New Deputy FM
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
French Minister of State Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne to Visit Armenia
Armenian National Team Advanced in FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings
UEFA Banned Qarabag FK Official from Exercising any Football-Related Activity for Life
Armenian, Azeri Militaries Specify Deployment Locations of Outposts Amid Border Demarcation
Berdzor Residents Receive Security Guarantees and Stop Evacuation
Azerbaijan Artificially Delays the Process of Exchange of the Prisoners of War and Bodies: The Urgent Call of the Human Rights Defender of Armenia to the International Community
Hayastan All Armenian Fund Telethon 2020 Raises $22.9m
Defense Army Publishes List of 34 Deceased Servicemen
Armenia Records 132346 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Stepantsminda-Larsi Highway is Open Only for Trucks
President of Armenian Parliament Thanks President of French Senate for Resolution on Artsakh
The Bill on Abolishing the Martial Law in Armenia Not Adopted
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Two Programs to Support the People of Artsakh are Being Implemented; Another Program Will Be Adopted for the Citizens Left Homeless
Cher Appeals to US Government to Help Armenia, Artsakh (VIDEO)
Kim Kardashian Speaks on Artsakh Peace Deal: This is Goodbye, for Now
Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Held Phone Conversations with the Representatives of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries
Territorial Concessions and the Announced Terms Have Not Been Discussed with the Authorities of Artsakh: Vahram Poghosyan
A New Era Starts in the Caucasus: Georgian President
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Sent a Letter to the UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
First Aurora Humanitarian Aid Projects for Artsakh Announced
Armenia’s MFA Spokesperson: Aliyev Confirms Absence of Any Justification of Deliberate Targeting of the Civilian Population and Civilian Infrastructure
Wind: 5 km/h