Our Ultimate Goal is to Have a United Armenia: Head of the "Democracy" Faction of Artsakh National Assembly
"Armedia" IAA prepared a series of interviews with representatives of all four factions of the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia and Artsakh each, trying to summarize the steps taken in 2017 and the plans for 2018. We present an exclusive interview of "Armedia" IAA with Vardges Baghryan, Head of the "Democracy" faction of the National Assembly of Artsakh Republic.
- Mr. Baghryan, what was the most important development in 2017 for the National Assembly of the Republic of Artsakh?
- First of all, it should be noted that the National Assembly had rather active participation in the process of drafting and adopting the Constitution. As you know, on February 20, we adopted a new Constitution. The existing laws naturally must be brought into line with the new Constitution. A part of this process was done in 2017, but it will continue until 2020, and there is still much to do.
I would also like to say that we had quite a lot of guests from abroad, with different groups of MPs, intellectuals, groups that were for the first time in Artsakh. I must say that the group from Turkey made a very good impression on us thanks to their objective thinking on Karabakh conflict.
It is worth mentioning the fact that after the formation of a new government, when the President is not only the head of the country, but also the head of the government, not only the ministers, but also the President already responds to the deputies' questions at the National Assembly.
- Please summarize the 2017 events and your work activity. What are the main accomplishments and omissions you can highlight?
- You know that the "Democracy" faction is pro-government one. As in the previous years, in 2017 as well, we naturally approved the government's activities, and we also took responsibility in them. We have come up with thirty-three proposals regarding the new Constitution, and we must state that most of them have been accepted. We think that in Artsakh there should be a strong, centralized President's Institute rather than a parliamentary government. In the warring country, we believe, the presidential administration works much better.
- What will be the main directions of your work in 2018?
- As I mentioned, in 2018 we will continue the process of bringing our legislation in line with the new Constitution. The process is quite difficult. As for the existing law on local self-governing bodies, it is possible that instead of amendments, a new law will be introduced.
Next year we will also take steps to advance Artsakh's right to self-determination on various international platforms. Perhaps this one is the most important issue.
- Mr. Baghryan, referring to the New Year, how do you usually celebrate it?
- Each year is a year of expectations. You know that in 2018 we have some anniversaries to celebrate both in Mother Armenia and Artsakh. It is the 30th anniversary of Karabakh Movement. We have to understand what we achieved, what are we now and what we should do after reaching our cherished goal and dream, which, in my deepest belief, is to have a united Armenia. I personally, as well as the prevailing majority of Armenians believe that as Artsakh once used to be the 10th province of the Greater Armenia, it should continue that way. Our nowadays status is a transitional phase in reaching our ultimate goal, which, of course, should be determined by the people not only in Artsakh, but also in Armenia and the Diaspora as we liberated Artsakh together.
- What would you wish to our readers in 2018?
- First of all, I wish peace. I would like to see that no soldier's parent's eyes are wet, and the boys do their duty to their homeland and return home. We must also understand that in civil life we also need to serve our homeland.
- Azerbaijan Violates Ceasefire, Wounds Artsakh Defense Army Soldier Artsakh Defense Ministry urged the adversary to abstain from provocative actions, stressing that in case of escalation of the situation the Azerbaijani side will be the one responsible for the consequences.
- Ex-chief of Armenian Army's General Staff on Four-Day Artsakh War According to Khachaturov, the adversary had set the objective to carry out an operation that would make people escape so that it could seize major territories, including Mataghis, Talish, Martakert, Fizuli...
- Azerbaijan Tries To Cover Up Its Own Actions By Spreading Desinformation Azerbaijani official information platforms disseminate the border service’s absolutely false and concocted information about the situation at the border. Shushan Stepanyan, Spokesperson of the Republic...
- Minsk Group: the Co-Chairs Recognize the Role of the Population of Nagorno-Karabakh in Deciding Its Future Accordingly, the Co-Chairs do not accept the results of these “elections” as affecting the legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh and stress that the results in no way prejudge the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh...
- The statement of the MFA of Turkey is yet Another Expression of Turkey's Hostile Policy towards the Armenian People: Armenia Turkey's attempts to act as an international guardian of human rights and its appeals to the international community are more than bankrupted in the light of its constant violations of the rights of peoples...
- Preliminary Results of the Artsakh General Elections Have Been Announced Second round of elections will be conducted in Nagorno Karabakh after none of the candidates received 50%+1% of votes.
- President of Artsakh Convened a Working Consultation The heads of appropriate spheres participating in the consultation delivered corresponding reports on the carried out activities. The situation regarding the measures taken against the coronavirus was...
- President of Artsakh Handed in State Awards and Certificates of Honorary Titles Bako Sahakyan underlined that the state valued and appreciated their patriotic activity, expressing confidence that they would continue to work with the same zeal and efficiency.
- President of Artsakh Convened a Working Consultation in the Martouni Regional Center Minister of State Grigory Martirosyan and other officials were present at the consultation.
- President of Artsakh Attends Meeting of Defense Army’s Military Council The President highlighted that the Defense Army had always been and would remain the main guarantee of the independence, security and natural development of the Artsakh Republic expressing his confidence...
- President of Artsakh Met a Group of Members of the Belgian Francophone Circles The Head of the State noted with satisfaction that Artsakh's relations with the Francophone community and structures of Belgium are developing dynamically voicing hope that they will further on strengthen...
- The Working Visit of Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian to the USA has Started The Foreign Minister answered the questions of the participants of the meeting.
- The Statements of the Foreign Ministries of Georgia and Ukraine Constitute an Interference in the Internal Affairs of the Artsakh Republic. Artsakh MFA Statements by the Foreign Ministries of Georgia and Ukraine also contain provisions that distort the essence of the Azerbaijani-Karabakh conflict with the aim to reduce it to a territorial dispute and...
- "Artsakh-France" Friendship Circle Meeting Issues related to the future programs of the friendship circle and the prospects for cooperation have been discussed.
- President of Artsakh Met with a Group of Deputies of the Bulgarian Parliament President Sahakyan noted with satisfaction that the visits of Bulgarian parliamentarians to Artsakh were of a periodic nature expressing hope that cooperation would further expand and deepen.
Armenia Records 853 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
President Sarkissian Offers Congratulations on Motherhood and Beauty Day
Pashinyan: 2bn 353mn Drams of Economic and Social Assistance Distributed to Legal Entities, Individuals
An Armenian Woman has Always Been a Keeper of a Hearth, a Support and Reliable Rear for her Husband: Artsakh Republic President
PM on a New Weapon Being Produced in Armenia
On April 7, the Armenian Church Celebrates One of Her Greatest Feasts - the Annunciation To St. Mary
Armenia's PM Hopes to Reach Arrangement with Russian President over Gas Price
Artsakh is Ready to Take all Necessary Measures of Self-Defense: Artsakh MFA
8 Coronavirus Patients in Armenia Are in Very Critical Condition
PM to Keep in Spotlight Capital Programs
Eduardo Eurnekian to Provide Armenia Government $250,000 to Help Fight Coronavirus
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Oil Falls After Saudi Arabia, Russia Delay Meeting
People Must Apply Until Monday 11:59pm for Customs Clearance of Cars Purchased in 2019 but not Imported to Armenia
PM Pashinyan Holds Phone Conversation with Vladimir Putin
Reuters: UK PM Johnson will Continue to Lead Government, Housing Minister Jenrick Says
Fitch Revises Outlook on Armenia to Negative; Affirms at 'BB-'
The Indian Express: Statue of Unity Put Up "For Sale" on OLX for COVID-19 Donations
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the military incident at the Armenian-Azerbaijani border
Baku’s Refusal of the Illusions of Restoring Its ''Territorial Integrity'' Will Help to Proceed with the Peace Process: Artsakh MFA
Artsakh President Chaired an Enlarged Meeting of the Interdepartmental Commission Coordinating the Prevention of the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus
Wind: 11 km/h