Wine Can Become a National Armenian Brand for Export
Armenia's economy in 2017, as predicted by the members of the Eurasian Economic Club, exceeded the 4 percent barrier, amounting to 5.7 percent growth. Double-digit growth was achieved in a number of industries. Coordinator of the Eurasian Expert Club, chairman of the "Integration and Development" NGO, Aram Safaryan and a member of the Eurasian Expert Club, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Ashot Tavadyan stated this on February 24 at a press conference in the "Armenpress" press center.
Experts summed up the results of 2017 on economic development, presenting the results of an interim expert study conducted by the members of the club, Ashot Tavadyan and Tatul Manaseryan.
Aram Safaryan noted that in 2017, compared with the same period of the last year, economic activity increased by 7.7 percent, which is the highest indicator for the entire region. "The growth in construction reached 3%, double-digit growth was registered in the agriculture sector, and it is important to understand the reasons for this," Safaryan said, while also noting that the export of agricultural products increased.
Aram Safaryan noted that the year 2017 was distinguished by the development of new export industries, the most important of which is winemaking. "It is known that the main Armenian products that enter the Eurasian markets are high-quality Armenian cognac, which is a national brand and is exported mainly to Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, but in 2017 Armenia exported to these markets more than 1.2 million high-quality wines. This gives grounds to assert that if these trends continue for the next two years, Armenian wine will become the second brand after cognac," he said. According to the expert, exports to Russia of clothing and footwear have also grown significantly. In addition, in 2017 a record was reached in the tourism sector, at the expense of the increased flow from Russia, which is the result of the permission for Russian citizens to enter Armenia by internal passports.
According to experts, the year was good for the Unified Energy System, the unemployment rate on the territory of the Union was significantly reduced, stabilization is observed in the Russian market, which has a positive effect on the small economies of the EAEU. Transfers to Armenia from Russia also grew.
Ashot Tavadyan stressed that export of ready products is especially important for the Armenian economy. "In 2017, for the first time, we exceeded the barrier of sensitivity of 2 billion," the economist said, explaining that the quantitative growth of exports will go to high-quality when exports from Armenia exceed 3 billion. And for this, it is necessary to develop a road map.
The economist stressed that integration processes contribute significantly to the growth of exports. In particular, thanks to the GSP + system operating in the EU, Armenia saves about 9 million euros annually when exporting to European countries, and taking into account the EAEU norms and cheap energy resources received from the EAEU, Armenia saves $ 60 million when exporting to the EAEU countries.
"In terms of direct investments, we do not yet get the expected amount, mutual work is necessary in this direction," Tavadyan noted, pointing out that in 2018 Armenia should close a rather significant external debt, which will affect the economy.
Summing up, experts noted that 2018 is still well-off for agriculture, but much attention should be paid to export of ready products. It was also noted that in October 2018, the week of the EAEU will be held in Armenia, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the prospects for intensifying and expanding mutual trade and find solutions to existing issues.
- Artur Javadyan: Central Bank is Concerned About Growth Rate of Consumer Loans Banks provided unprecedented consumer and mortgage loans this year, the volumes of which increased by about 30-40%, while household incomes did not increase significantly during this period. Thus, significant...
- Garegin Baghramyan: Water Tariff to Remain Same When asked what Veolia Water’s justification for raising the tariff was, Baghramyan said the company takes the baseline price, takes into consideration the factors for specification and submits a bid.
- India-Armenia Pharmaceutical Business Forum-Exhibition to be Held in Yerevan India is the largest supplier of generic medicines in the world, accounting for 20% of global supplies. The country has 3,000 pharmaceutical companies with a strong network of more than 10,500 manufacturing...
- N. Pashinyan: We Have Substantial Drop in Unemployment Since 2nd Quarter of 2019 I am pleased to report that we have a substantial decrease in unemployment since the second quarter of 2019.
- Armenia is in OECD Foreign Direct Investment Regulatory Restrictiveness Index The FDI Index measures statutory restrictions on foreign direct investment in 22 economic sectors across 69 countries, including all OECD and G20 countries.
- Russia PM: Eurasian Union Ready for Free Trade Zones with Asian Countries Medvedev recalled that a similar agreement has already been concluded with Vietnam, Singapore and China, while negotiations with India are underway.
- Rouhani: US Carries out Economic Terrorism As the Iranian president noted, resistance to hostile actions led to harsh and inhuman sanctions; international obligations and agreements are ignored.
- EAEU IS the Only Structure Where We Are the Full Owners According to him, the Eurasian Economic Union is perceived by Armenia as some foreign object, from which "something must be pulled out".
- Serbia to Sign Free Trade Zone Agreement with EAEU on October 25 According to the Russian ambassador, "in the future, Serbia may become one of the links on the space between the EU and the EAEU."
- Risky-For-Us Issues Discussed at EEU Inter-Governmental Board Session At the EEU intergovernmental board session, held in Yerevan, a range of key issues were raised concerning setting up joint markets of energy carriers, eliminating trade obstacles and so on. At least theoretically...
PM chairs Defense Ministry Board Meeting at Ministry of Defense Headquarters
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
PM chairs Security Council Meeting
Artsakh President Receives Armenian CB Delegation
Azerbaijan Breaches Karabakh Ceasefire 210 Times in One Week
PM: All Citizens of Armenia Need to View State Budget as Family Budget
Kazakhstan is Eager to See Investments Coming from Armenia
We are with you, Venice – Armenian Embassy
Armenian Team Loses, Deprived of Opportunity to Take Part in Euro-2020
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Colonel Arayik Grigoryan Appointed Frst Deputy Director of the Artsakh Republic National Security Service
Nikol Pashinyan Held a Consultation to Discuss the Report on Armenia State Interest Fund Activities
Solemn Awarding Ceremony Took Place in the Artsakh Republic President's Residence
Dashnaks ‘Deeply Concerned’ Over Political Developments In Armenia
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Armenia Salutes Dutch Parliament’s Stance on Opening of Resident Embassy in Yerevan
Pompeo: U.S. will Continue to Lead Fight Against ISIS
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Democrats Sharpen Impeachment Case, Decrying "Bribery" as Another Potential Witness Emerges Linking Trump to Ukraine Scandal: WP
North Korea Calls U.S. Candidate Biden a "Rabid Dog" Nearing Death
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 6 km/h