Jack Aghazarian, WW2 Special Agent of Armenian Descent
Jack Charles Aghazaryan, one of Britain's bravest spies in the Special Forces Department during World War II. It was due to his efforts that most of the French and British dual agents, people who worked for Nazi Germany, were disclosed.
Agazarian was born in London, in 1915, to an Armenian father, Berdge Rupen Agazarian, and French mother, Jacqueline Marie-Louise Le Chevalier Agazarian, the second of six children. He was educated in both France and England at Dulwich College. After completing his education he worked with his father in the family business.
After joining the Royal Air Force in 1940 soon after the outbreak of World War II, he was recruited as a wireless operator by the SOE.
His brother, Noel Agazarian, and sister, Monique, also joined the Royal Air Force. Monique is known in Britain as someone who developed new methods for pilots.
Agazarian received an honorary commission as a pilot officer in the RAFVR on 10 September 1942,and in December 1942 he arrived in Paris to join the newly formed Prosper network of the SOE as a special agent and was joined later by his wife Françoise Isabelle Aghazarian, a spy who also carried out special tasks during WW2.
“Although we were in the same network, my husband and I were working separately. He worked as a radio operator alone, providing messages from different parts of the world. I was accountable to the network administrator. He liked to give me special assignments, as I could easily go through difficulties," said Françoise Aghazaryan.
Shortly after joining the intelligence service, Jack Agazaryan was sent to France occupied by the Germans to detect the dual agents of France and Britain. During the secret operations he was able to detect many spies.
However, shortly after the secret state police of the Fascist Germany, Gestapo, disclosed Aghazaryan whose presence in France became quite risky. In January 1943 a decision was made to return him to London.
In June of the same year, Aghazaryan returned to France with a new mission. However, after a year he was captured by the Nazis during a secret operation.
Aghazaryan was a massive coup for the Germans, as the latter knew a great deal of state secret information about the British special operations department. After being tortured for a year and half in Fresnes prison, was then moved to Flossenbürg concentration camp. He was kept there in solitary confinement, and was executed on March 29, 1945.
Jack Agazarian is honored on the Runnymede Memorial in Surrey, England, on the SOE memorial at Flossenbürg, and also on the Roll of Honor on the Valençay SOE Memorialin Valençay, in the Indre département of France. He received a posthumous mention in dispatches on 13 June 1946, and was also awarded the Légion d'honneur and Croix de guerre by France. The Queen of Britain handed a special sword to his family for his exploits.
- Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea For many years, studying the effects of light on chemical reactions he realized the potential of solar energy application to humanity and industry.
- Ben Baghdikian, Armenian Journalist Who Publicized Pentagon Confidential Papers Ben-Hur Haig Bagdikian was born in Marash, Western Armenia, on January 30, 1920. A survivor of the Armenian Genocide, his family moved to the United States, Massachusetts. His father was a pastor at several...
- Anna Kazanjian Longobardo, Armenian, Designer of the American Missile Navigation System In 1949 Anna Longobardo became the first woman to receive a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Columbia University, she was one of the founders of the Society of Women Engineers, which elected her a fellow,...
- Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt "Nubar Pasha is an Egyptian-Armenian politician, Christian and the first Prime Minister of Egypt. An Educated person, who fluently speaks a few languages, he is a genuine diplomat of the time," Brighouse...
- My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE) Seeing the Earth from space with you own eyes gives a much greater appreciation for the planet than pictures or videos are capable of imparting.
Nobel Prize in Economics Won by Trio for Work on Easing Poverty
MFA: Armenia Urges Partners not to Contribute to Arms Race
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Sarkissian Sent Condolences to the Emperor of Japan
Georgia Prime Minister Giorgi Gakharia to Arrive in Armenia on Official Visit
President of Artsakh Convenes Consultation with Senior Staff of Foreign Ministry’s Central Apparatus
Japan Typhoon – 40 Dead and 189 Injured
Kurds Reach Deal with Syrian Army
Poland Election: Ruling Law and Justice Party Claims Victory
Jane Fonda Arrested During Climate Protest Outside U.S. Capitol
Germany's Merkel Tells Erdogan to Halt Syria Offensive Immediately
Artsakh President Participated at Harvest Day Trade Fair
Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan Held a Meeting With Members of the USA Delegation
Parliamentary Elections Underway in Poland
1 Dead, 50 Injured as Typhoon Hagibis Makes Landfall on Japan's Izu Peninsula
Bako Sahakyan Held a Meeting in Stepanakert With Members of the Delegation From Canada
Turkey Takes Control of Syria's Ras al-Ayn
More Than Six Million People Advised to Evacuate in Japan
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Phone Talks with Vladimir Putin
Euro 2021: Armenia U21 National Team Celebrates Its Frst Victory
I've Heard about Blood-Thirsty Turks since I Was 11: Cher Reminded about Armenian Genocide and Condemned Ankara’s Operations in Syria
Armenia Marks the 28th Anniversary of Independence
Google Changes Doodle to Mark Armenia’s 28th Anniversary of Independence
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
ANCA thanks Kim Kardashian for raising Armenia's worldwide recognition
Buckingham Palace ‘Displeased’ by Cameron’s Comments about Seeking Queen’s Help during Scottish Referendum
Strategic Military Exercises to be Held on September 24-October 5, Involving Government Agencies and Local Self-Government Organizations
''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law
Military Rank of Lieutenant-General Conferred to the Artsakh Defense Minister, Commander of the Defense Army
Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson on Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev's Speech at Valdai Discussion Club
Wind: 5 km/h