Jack Aghazarian, WW2 Special Agent of Armenian Descent
Jack Charles Aghazaryan, one of Britain's bravest spies in the Special Forces Department during World War II. It was due to his efforts that most of the French and British dual agents, people who worked for Nazi Germany, were disclosed.
Agazarian was born in London, in 1915, to an Armenian father, Berdge Rupen Agazarian, and French mother, Jacqueline Marie-Louise Le Chevalier Agazarian, the second of six children. He was educated in both France and England at Dulwich College. After completing his education he worked with his father in the family business.
After joining the Royal Air Force in 1940 soon after the outbreak of World War II, he was recruited as a wireless operator by the SOE.
His brother, Noel Agazarian, and sister, Monique, also joined the Royal Air Force. Monique is known in Britain as someone who developed new methods for pilots.
Agazarian received an honorary commission as a pilot officer in the RAFVR on 10 September 1942,and in December 1942 he arrived in Paris to join the newly formed Prosper network of the SOE as a special agent and was joined later by his wife Françoise Isabelle Aghazarian, a spy who also carried out special tasks during WW2.
“Although we were in the same network, my husband and I were working separately. He worked as a radio operator alone, providing messages from different parts of the world. I was accountable to the network administrator. He liked to give me special assignments, as I could easily go through difficulties," said Françoise Aghazaryan.
Shortly after joining the intelligence service, Jack Agazaryan was sent to France occupied by the Germans to detect the dual agents of France and Britain. During the secret operations he was able to detect many spies.
However, shortly after the secret state police of the Fascist Germany, Gestapo, disclosed Aghazaryan whose presence in France became quite risky. In January 1943 a decision was made to return him to London.
In June of the same year, Aghazaryan returned to France with a new mission. However, after a year he was captured by the Nazis during a secret operation.
Aghazaryan was a massive coup for the Germans, as the latter knew a great deal of state secret information about the British special operations department. After being tortured for a year and half in Fresnes prison, was then moved to Flossenbürg concentration camp. He was kept there in solitary confinement, and was executed on March 29, 1945.
Jack Agazarian is honored on the Runnymede Memorial in Surrey, England, on the SOE memorial at Flossenbürg, and also on the Roll of Honor on the Valençay SOE Memorialin Valençay, in the Indre département of France. He received a posthumous mention in dispatches on 13 June 1946, and was also awarded the Légion d'honneur and Croix de guerre by France. The Queen of Britain handed a special sword to his family for his exploits.
- Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea For many years, studying the effects of light on chemical reactions he realized the potential of solar energy application to humanity and industry.
- Ben Baghdikian, Armenian Journalist Who Publicized Pentagon Confidential Papers Ben-Hur Haig Bagdikian was born in Marash, Western Armenia, on January 30, 1920. A survivor of the Armenian Genocide, his family moved to the United States, Massachusetts. His father was a pastor at several...
- Anna Kazanjian Longobardo, Armenian, Designer of the American Missile Navigation System In 1949 Anna Longobardo became the first woman to receive a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Columbia University, she was one of the founders of the Society of Women Engineers, which elected her a fellow,...
- Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt "Nubar Pasha is an Egyptian-Armenian politician, Christian and the first Prime Minister of Egypt. An Educated person, who fluently speaks a few languages, he is a genuine diplomat of the time," Brighouse...
- My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE) Seeing the Earth from space with you own eyes gives a much greater appreciation for the planet than pictures or videos are capable of imparting.
Weather Forecast in Armenia: the Air Temperature Will Gradually Go Down and Go Up Equally
Armenia's Embassy in Iran Temporarily Suspends Work of Consular Section
Bako Sahakyan and Nikol Pashinyan Convened a Working Consultation
Armenian Apostolic Church Celebrates Eve of Great Lent or Great Barekendan
Iran Records 5th Coronavirus Death
"Interaction between Armenia and Artsakh is the key to our people’s security": Nikol Pashinyan
Ara Shahverdyan, Robert Beglaryan Elected Members of Iranian Parliament
Azerbaijan Violates Truce 190 Times Past Week
Coronavirus: China Reports Drop in Recorded Cases as toll Reaches 2,345
Armenia's Ombudsman Visits Artsakh Military Units
Joint Meeting of the Security Councils of Artsakh, Armenia held in Stepanakert
Armenian Embassy in Iran Urges Armenia Nationals to Stay in Touch
Putin Expresses Concern Over Aggressive Actions in Idlib During Talks with Erdogan
First European Dies from Coronavirus in Italy
David Yurchenko to Play for Armenian National Team
Armenia’s DM Instructs Strengthening Discipline and Growth of Quality of Operative-Intelligence Works at Military Police
Mher Grigoryan Attending The Meeting of The Council of the Eurasian Economic Commission
ANCA Calls on US to Match Armenia and Azerbaijan Military Assistance
Putin, Macron and Merkel Call for Resuming Political Dialogue on Libya: Kremlin
Iran Confirmed 13 More New Coronavirus Cases
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
February 20: the Birth of Artsakh Movement
Armenian Human Rights Activist Was Searched Naked in Turkey (video)
Wind: 4 km/h