Trump to Discuss Turkey With GOP Senators at White House Next Week
U.S. President Donald Trump has invited Republican senators to the White House for a meeting to discuss possible sanctions on Turkey after its suspension from the F-35 fighter jet program over purchasing a Russian-made S-400 air defense system, a report by the Washington Post said Friday, DailySabah reports.
Citing two officials familiar with the matter, the report noted that the meeting, which will address "Turkey sanctions," will take place at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
While some Republican senators are advocating sanctions against Turkey in response to the S-400 row, Trump has adopted a confusing stance regarding the matter.
He initially said the sanctions are not under consideration "right now," before later telling reporters "we're looking at it."
The president said the situation is "very very difficult," as he blamed his predecessor, former President Barack Obama, for the row.
"The previous administration made some very big mistakes with regard to Turkey and it was too bad," Trump said in the Oval Office earlier this week. "So we're looking at it, we'll see what we do. We haven't announced that yet."
Trump said earlier Tuesday: "The Obama administration would not sell them the Patriot missiles. They needed the Patriot missiles for defense. They would not sell them under any circumstance. And Turkey tried very hard to buy them and they wouldn't sell them, and this went on for a long period of time."
Following protracted efforts to purchase an air defense system from the U.S. with no success, Ankara signed a contract in 2017 to purchase the Russian S-400s.
U.S. officials urged Turkey to buy American-made Patriot missiles, arguing that the Russian system would be incompatible with NATO systems and expose F-35 Joint Strike Fighters to possible Russian subterfuge. Turkey, however, emphasized the S-400 would not be integrated into NATO systems and would not pose a threat to the alliance.
- Trump Offers Trade Deal, Sanctions Workaround to Erdogan The offer is likely to infuriate at least some of the overwhelming House majority that voted last month to impose sanctions on Turkey over its assault into Syria, and a bipartisan group of senators who...
- Putin, Erdogan hold talks on Syria by phone The Turkish presidential office said that at the talks the presidents discussed "bilateral relations and future steps to increase trade".
- Erdogan Says Turkey Will Let Refugees into Europe if EU does not Support It Turkey aims to establish a "safe zone" in northeast Syria, where it says up to 2 million Syrian refugees can settle once the region is cleared of the Kurdish YPG militia.
- State Department Opposes Turkey Sanctions, Genocide Resolution The measure, H.R. 4695, would sanction senior Turkish officials and prohibit them from entering the U.S. It would also bar the transfer of US defense materiel to Turkey for use in Syria, and it would require...
- Recognize the Armenian Genocide: The Jerusalem Post
- Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met with the Delegation of the Armenian Assembly of America At the request of the guests, the Foreign Minister presented the main directions and priorities of the foreign policy of Artsakh, touched upon the processes of peaceful settlement of the Azerbaijan-Karabakh...
- PM attends UN debate on Sustainable Development During his working visit to New York, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan participated in the “UN Sustainable Development Goals: The 2020-2030 Vision” summit and delivered a speech. Below is the full text...
- PM speaks at Columbia University in New York Since 1994 when a ceasefire agreement was signed between Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan and Armenia, the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process became an indispensable part of regional politics.
- PM Attends Armenia-Los Angeles Business Forum Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan’s working visit to the United States, Los Angeles, continues.
- Trump's Communications with a Foreign Leader Sparked Whistleblower Complaint The source who spoke to CNN would not disclose the foreign leader with whom Trump was alleged to have spoken.
New Cooperation Bridge to Open Between Armenian and Israeli IT Companies
Meghri Border Checkpoint to Be Upgraded
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Chief Military Inspector Was Dismissed Due to Structural Changes: Vladimir Karapetyan
WSO Secretary General: Armenia Is a Leader in Region on Standardization of Customs Data
Georgia Ministry of Internal Affairs Addresses Participants of Demonstration
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the King of Morocco Mohammed VI
Chief Military Inspector and his Deputies Dismissed from Positions
Iran’s Rouhani: Iranians Entitled to Protest, Insecurity not Tolerated
Kim Jong Un Supervises Another N. Korean Military Drill
Hong Kong Court Rules Face Mask Ban Unconstitutional
Armenia State Revenue Committee, Iran And Georgia Customs Services Sign Document
About 1000 Protesters Detained in Iran
Opposition Wins No Seats in Belarus Election
US Backs 'Peaceful Protests' in Iran
Protesters Block Entrance to Iraq's Umm Qasr Port
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Tokyo 2020 Bouquets
Anti-Government Protest Took Place In Prague
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 6 km/h