Trump to Discuss Turkey With GOP Senators at White House Next Week
U.S. President Donald Trump has invited Republican senators to the White House for a meeting to discuss possible sanctions on Turkey after its suspension from the F-35 fighter jet program over purchasing a Russian-made S-400 air defense system, a report by the Washington Post said Friday, DailySabah reports.
Citing two officials familiar with the matter, the report noted that the meeting, which will address "Turkey sanctions," will take place at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
While some Republican senators are advocating sanctions against Turkey in response to the S-400 row, Trump has adopted a confusing stance regarding the matter.
He initially said the sanctions are not under consideration "right now," before later telling reporters "we're looking at it."
The president said the situation is "very very difficult," as he blamed his predecessor, former President Barack Obama, for the row.
"The previous administration made some very big mistakes with regard to Turkey and it was too bad," Trump said in the Oval Office earlier this week. "So we're looking at it, we'll see what we do. We haven't announced that yet."
Trump said earlier Tuesday: "The Obama administration would not sell them the Patriot missiles. They needed the Patriot missiles for defense. They would not sell them under any circumstance. And Turkey tried very hard to buy them and they wouldn't sell them, and this went on for a long period of time."
Following protracted efforts to purchase an air defense system from the U.S. with no success, Ankara signed a contract in 2017 to purchase the Russian S-400s.
U.S. officials urged Turkey to buy American-made Patriot missiles, arguing that the Russian system would be incompatible with NATO systems and expose F-35 Joint Strike Fighters to possible Russian subterfuge. Turkey, however, emphasized the S-400 would not be integrated into NATO systems and would not pose a threat to the alliance.
- Jailed PKK Leader Ocalan 'Ready for a Solution' with Turkey According to the statement issued late on Thursday, Ocalan said that Kurds do not need a separate state within the framework of finding a place for themselves that was consistent with historical Turkish-Kurdish...
- Turkey, US Agree to Set up Operation Centre for Syria Safe Zone The proposed zone aims to secure a strip of land stretching more than 400 km (250 miles) along Syria’s northeastern border with Turkey, much of it controlled by the Kurdish YPG militia that fought with...
- EU Agrees Sanctions Against Turkey for Drilling off Cyprus The EU last month warned Turkey it could face sanctions if it did not cease what the bloc called "illegal" drilling in Cyprus's exclusive economic zone.
- Trump Aides Pick Sanctions to Punish Turkey for Russian Missiles The administration chose one of three sets of actions
- First Shipment of Russian S-400 Systems Delivered to Turkey "The delivery of parts belonging to the system will continue in the coming days," Turkey's defence industry directorate said separately.
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Statement on Protests in Moscow I call on the Russian authorities to release political prisoners.
- Senate Fails to Override Trump's Veto on Saudi Arms Sales In May, the Trump administration said it would go ahead with more than $8 billion in military sales, sidestepping a congressional review process.
- Trump Threatened to Tax French Wines U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to tax French wines on Friday in retaliation for France’s recent proposal to levy a tax aimed at big U.S. technology companies
- Trump Speaks Before Presidential Seal Doctored with Symbols of Russia and Golf In other words, a proud presidential symbol was apparently reworked to shame Trump over two of the biggest targets of anti-Trump criticism – Russian involvement in the 2016 election and excessive golfing...
- Judge Orders Social-Media Silence for Roger Stone If Stone continues to post on social media after today, he could be found in contempt of court and face jail time.
Italian PM Announces Resignation
Artsakh President Receives Andrzej Kasprzyk
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Foreign Minister of Artsakh received Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk
Nikol Pashinyan Presents the Increased Wages of Military Personnel
Armenia to Take Part in World Championship with 9 Weightlifters
Sinquefield Cup: Levon Aronyan Again Shares Point
EU: Replacing Mayors in Turkey Questions Democratic Results of March 31 Elections
Hong Kong's Carrie Lam Offers Talks But Shuns Protesters' Demands
Gran Canaria Wildfire Triggers Evacuation of Thousands of People
OSCE Mission will Conduct a Monitoring on the Border of Artsakh and Azerbaijan
Gymnast Vahagn Davtyan - Winner of Open Israeli Championship
Amuslar Mine Exploitation will Raise Armenia's Environmental Standards to Unprecedented Level – PM
Chief of the General Staff of Armenian Armed Forces Visits Frontline Positions
ICRC Representatives Visit Karabakh Soldier who Ended up in Azerbaijan
Armenia Is The Most Popular Country Among Russian Travelers
Serzh Sargsyan and Samvel Karapetyan have no status of defendant or suspect in sidelines of any case examined in SIS: spokesperson
Armenia’s PM to state about his decision over Amulsar later today
Rouhani May Pay Visit to France: FM Spox
61-Year-Old Armenian Woman Dead in Russia Car Crash
He Will Be Great: Trump Congratulates Boris Johnson on Becoming UK's New PM
“Our Goal is to Make the Startup a Dominant Mindset in Armenia” - PM Meets with Sevan Startup Summit-2009 Participants (PHOTOS)
Artsakh Foreign Minister Masis Mayilian Met with Prime Minister of the Australian State of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian
Armenian Killed in Aleppo
Trump Administration Attacks U.S. Aid Program to Artsakh
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border More than 900 Times
"The Authority of Each Officer Should be Much Greater than that of His Epaulettes"- Nikol Pashinyan Meets with Graduates of Military Educational Institutions
Our Strength Comes From our Ideas, Country’s Leaders and Country’s Rating: Security Council Secretary
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Delivered a Speech at the Meeting with the Armenian Community of Australia
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Regime on the Artsakh-Azerbaijan Border more than 65 Times
Wind: 7 km/h