CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises
Pressure is building up in Europe to come up with new ways to mitigate the economic impact of the coronavirus in the region that has become the epicenter of the outbreak, CNBC reports.
Nine European countries have called upon their EU counterparts to issue so-called corona bonds — a new debt instrument that would combine securities from different countries.
Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing debt together with highly leveraged nations, such as Italy, Greece and Portugal.
Nonetheless, Europe is in crisis, having experienced a sharp rise in COVID-19, with several countries in national lockdown. As of Wednesday morning, more than 182,000 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Europe.
"We need to recognize the severity of the situation and the necessity for further action to buttress our economies today," the heads of state of Italy, France, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Slovenia and Luxembourg said Wednesday in a joint letter seen by CNBC.
The deadly virus has brought all the key EU economies to a standstill, with most people confined at home. Restaurants, cinemas and other retail spaces are closed, and airlines have basically stopped taking off. The death toll across Europe keeps rising, with Italy registering a higher number than China, where the virus emerged in December.
"We need to work on a common debt instrument issued by a European institution to raise funds on the market on the same basis and to the benefits of all Member States," the nine heads of state said.
- Russia, Iran are negotiating creation of common steblecoin on gold The Iranian government intends to secure this token with gold, that is, it will be a kind of steblecoin. The token is expected to work in a special economic zone in Astrakhan, which will receive cargo...
- G7 coalition has agreed to set fixed price for Russian oil The initial price itself has not been set, but should be in coming weeks, multiple sources said. Coalition partners agreed to regularly review the fixed price and revise it as needed, the source said,...
- Details of 8th package of EU sanctions against Russia became known Thus, Brussels will establish a legal basis for determining the price ceiling for Russian oil for its transportation by sea from December and oil products - from February 2023.
- White House Accuses Opec+ of Aligning with Russia The Opec+ group said it would reduce production targets by 2mn barrels a day, equivalent to 2 per cent of global supply, following its first in-person meeting in two years in Vienna. The actual cut in...
- UNCTAD Warns of Policy-Induced Global Recession According to the report, rapid interest rate increases and fiscal tightening in advanced economies combined with the cascading crises resulting from the COVID pandemic and the war in Ukraine have already...
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases Last year, the European Commission proposed to the EU countries a system of joint purchases of strategic gas reserves as a way to provide a buffer against possible supply disruptions. Fears of supply disruptions...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory message to the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Feast of St. Sarkis the Captain, Patron of Love and Youth, his Son Martyros and his 14 Soldiers-Companions
The command of the Russian peacekeepers continues negotiations on restoring traffic through the Lachin Corridor
US Department of State confirms decision to postpone Blinken’s visit to China
Turkey and Azerbaijan plan to conduct more than 10 joint military exercises in 2023
NATO blames Russia for failing to comply with new START Treaty
European Commission points to Kiev's deficits as part of EU acceptance process
Despite the geopolitical tension, mutual trade in EAEU continues to show positive dynamics: Pashinyan
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenian parliament opposition holds hearings on Azerbaijan's Artsakh blockade
Artsakh Foreign Minister Sends Letters to Ambassadors of a Number of Countries in Armenia
Lilit Makunts briefed the US Middle East Institute president on peace agenda of Armenia
Congressman Pallone joins demonstrators at Capitol opposing Azerbaijan’s blockade of Lachin corridor
Development of digital economy has been and remains one of the most important priorities for Armenia: Pashinyan at Digital Almaty 2023
Commemoration of the Prophet Jonah
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Preventing a second Armenian Genocide: Ruben Vardanyan participated in the Columbia University online discussion
Turkish, Russian, Syrian delegations to meet soon: Turkish defense minister
Our top priority is to preserve Russia: Putin
"Michelangelo in the Ballet": Armenian Agrippina Vaganova, the Founder of the Theory of Russian Ballet
The comment of the Press Secretary of the MFA of Armenia on the psychological terror and violation of rights of Armenian children by Azerbaijan
Europe faces unprecedented crisis due to Ukraine conflict, Macron says
Azeri 'eco-activists' couldn't reach Lachin corridor without authorities' permission: Tatoyan Foundation
Pentagon commits another $2.5 billion in aid to Ukraine
Ruben Vardanyan offers condolences to families of soldiers killed in barracks fire
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenian Caucus leaders urge Biden Administration to consider emergency airlift, Azerbaijan sanctions to end Artsakh blockade
We highly appreciate the appeal of the European Parliament to the international community: Artsakh Foreign Ministry
Ararat Mirzoyan received Anne Louyot, the Ambassador of France to Armenia
Wind: 0.51 km/h