CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises
Pressure is building up in Europe to come up with new ways to mitigate the economic impact of the coronavirus in the region that has become the epicenter of the outbreak, CNBC reports.
Nine European countries have called upon their EU counterparts to issue so-called corona bonds — a new debt instrument that would combine securities from different countries.
Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing debt together with highly leveraged nations, such as Italy, Greece and Portugal.
Nonetheless, Europe is in crisis, having experienced a sharp rise in COVID-19, with several countries in national lockdown. As of Wednesday morning, more than 182,000 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Europe.
"We need to recognize the severity of the situation and the necessity for further action to buttress our economies today," the heads of state of Italy, France, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Slovenia and Luxembourg said Wednesday in a joint letter seen by CNBC.
The deadly virus has brought all the key EU economies to a standstill, with most people confined at home. Restaurants, cinemas and other retail spaces are closed, and airlines have basically stopped taking off. The death toll across Europe keeps rising, with Italy registering a higher number than China, where the virus emerged in December.
"We need to work on a common debt instrument issued by a European institution to raise funds on the market on the same basis and to the benefits of all Member States," the nine heads of state said.
- OPEC Sees Steeper Oil Demand Drop as Virus Remains Challenging World oil demand will tumble by 9.46 million barrels per day (bpd) this year, the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries said in a monthly report, more than the 9.06 million bpd decline expected...
- Armenia to Get €10.6mn Loan from EBRD The area of this checkpoint is expected to increase from the current 6.5 hectares to 8.6 hectares, its service capacity will increase from the current 300 vehicles to 900 vehicles per day, its construction...
- China’s Yuan Could Become the World’s Third Largest Reserve Currency in 10 Years Right now, the yuan accounts for about 2% of global foreign exchange reserve assets, the report pointed out. But it could rise to between 5% and 10% by 2030, surpassing the levels of the Japanese yen and...
- Israel, UAE Will Cooperate on Financial Services, Investment One focus, Netanyahu said, would be on "cooperation in the field of financial services and removing financial barriers for making investments between the countries, as well as promoting joint investments...
- China Hopes US Will Create Conditions for Implementation of Phase 1 of Trade Deal The COVID-19 pandemic and US export controls have undoubtedly influenced China's purchase of American goods and services, he said.
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
- European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
Artsakh's Army Improves Positions in Berdzor Direction
Sergey Lavrov and Jean-Yves Le Drian Discussed the Situation in Nagorno Karabakh
False Allegations of Turkish Defense Ministry Reflect the Dishonorable Nature of the Military-Political Leadership of Turkey: Armenia's MFA Spokesperson
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Create Bases for Terrorists, which Is of Serious Danger for the Whole Region
Bombing of Stepanakert Maternity Hospital Is Challange for Entire Civilized World: Artsakh's President
Turkish Bayraktars Carry Out Reconnaissance Flights Near Armenia Every Day
Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the shelling of Artsakh’s Capital Stepanakert and City of Shushi by Azerbaijan
Armenian Response to the Bombing of the Stepanakert Hospital
Artsakh Ombudsman: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Struck More Than 15 Times on Different Parts of the Capital Stepanakert and Shushi Town
Continuing Hostilities in Karabakh Raise Concern and Regret – Peskov
Azerbaijani Forces Target Stepanakert's Maternity Hospital
The Condition of Armenian hit by Turk National with Hammer in France is Grave (video)
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary Received the Ambassador of France to Armenia
Azerbaijan’s Statement About Barda’s Shelling from Smerch MLRS by Armenian Armed Forces False: Shushan Stepanyan
Armenian President Congratulates Czech Counterpart on Statehood Day
Karabakh’s Defense Army Reports About 59 New Casualties, Total Number of Deceased Armenian Servicemen Reaches 1,068
Azerbaijan Fires a Missile from Smerch MRLS in the Direction of Artsakh's Capital Stepanakert
Peaceful Armenian Demonstration in France Attacked by Knife, Hammer-Wielding Turkish Nationals
Shushi Shelled from Smerch MRLS, Casualties Reported
Zarif: Presence of Terrorists in Region Intolerable for Iran
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
Kim Kardashian donates 1 million USD to "Hayastan" All Armenian Fund
Despite Your Best Efforts, Turkey, Azerbaijan... We Will Never Be Annihilated: Alexis Ohanian
Artsrun Hovhannisyan Presented Interactive Map of Military Actions (video)
Armen Knyazyan is Awarded with the Highest title of the "Hero of Artsakh"
We Hope Armenians Will Be Able to Defend Against what Azerbaijanis are Doing – Pompeo
Alexis Ohanian Calls on US to Stand Up to Dictators in Azerbaijan and Turkey and Rebuke Their Attacks on Armenians
Experts of the Human Rights Defender’s Office Have Identified Location and Time of Azerbaijani Criminal Ativities Towards Armenian Prisoners of War
Emmanuel Macron Proposes New Talks on Nagorno-Karabakh
Wind: 7 km/h