CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises
Pressure is building up in Europe to come up with new ways to mitigate the economic impact of the coronavirus in the region that has become the epicenter of the outbreak, CNBC reports.
Nine European countries have called upon their EU counterparts to issue so-called corona bonds — a new debt instrument that would combine securities from different countries.
Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing debt together with highly leveraged nations, such as Italy, Greece and Portugal.
Nonetheless, Europe is in crisis, having experienced a sharp rise in COVID-19, with several countries in national lockdown. As of Wednesday morning, more than 182,000 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Europe.
"We need to recognize the severity of the situation and the necessity for further action to buttress our economies today," the heads of state of Italy, France, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Slovenia and Luxembourg said Wednesday in a joint letter seen by CNBC.
The deadly virus has brought all the key EU economies to a standstill, with most people confined at home. Restaurants, cinemas and other retail spaces are closed, and airlines have basically stopped taking off. The death toll across Europe keeps rising, with Italy registering a higher number than China, where the virus emerged in December.
"We need to work on a common debt instrument issued by a European institution to raise funds on the market on the same basis and to the benefits of all Member States," the nine heads of state said.
- WTI Oil Price Breaks $20 Barrier for First Time Since 2002 The oil prices continue to be rattled amid news on continuous increase of coronavirus cases around the world.
- Iraq Proposes Budget Cuts to Foreign Oil Firms After Oil Pice Crash Iraqi officials said low oil prices have forced the oil ministry to review its plans on how to repay international oil companies (IOCs) their dues during the first six months of the year. The ministry...
- G20 Leaders Commit to United Front Against Pandemic- Reuters During an video conference of the world’s major economies, the leaders said they were committed to restoring confidence, preserving financial stability and reviving growth.
- The Recession is Already Here: Bank of America The outbreak of coronavirus has already led to a decline in global markets. The S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average are trading in the bear market and are now 30% below their record highs compared...
- WHO Reports Rapid Global Spread of COVID-19 "The number of confirmed cases worldwide has exceeded 200,000. It took over three months to reach the first 100,000 confirmed cases, and only 12 days to reach the next 100,000," the bulletin informs.
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
- European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
- The EU Council Approved EU budget The EU Council approved Monday a draft EU budget with expenditures of € 168.7 billion, which is 1.5% higher than the 2019 budget, said in a statement issued on Monday by the Council of the EU, TASS reported.
72.7% of Eligible Citizens of Artsakh Participate in National Elections
Trump, Erdogan Stress Importance of Adhering to Syrian and Libyan Ceasefires: TASS
US Looking at Other Activities that Can Contribute to Karabakh Resolution: US Ambassador
Minsk Group: the Co-Chairs Recognize the Role of the Population of Nagorno-Karabakh in Deciding Its Future
Armenia Security Council Secretary's Spokesperson Resigns
One More Coronavirus Patient Has Recovered in Armenia: Healthcare Minister
At 2pm 48.3% Of The Voters Casted Their Ballots In Artsakh Elections
Nikol Pashinyan, Alexander Lukashenko Discuss Interaction Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic
Armenia: The Commission for Coordination of Activities to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus Holds Regular Meeting
US Extends Iran Nuclear Cooperation Sanctions Waivers
President Armen Sarkissian Discussed Via a Video Call the Situation Created by the New Coronavirus with the Ambassador of India to Armenia
Armenia Confirms 50 New Coronavirus Cases Bringing Total to 532
Nikol Pashinyan Sent Condolence Message By Over Passing Of Levon Aronian’s Spouse
Artsakh MFA: the Statement of the MFA of Turkey Another Example of Ankara’s Biased Position
Armenia Will Be Supplied With 100 Ventilators, 60,000 Coronavirus Test Kits
Stepantsminda-Larsi Highway Open Only For Trucks
President Sarkisisan Sent a Letter to the President of PRC Xi Jinping
The statement of the MFA of Turkey is yet Another Expression of Turkey's Hostile Policy towards the Armenian People: Armenia
Armenian Grandmaster Levon Aronian’s wife Arianne Caoili Dies
Trump: Russia Sends Plane with Medical Equipment to US (TASS)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Daughter of Emir of Kuwait Told about Her Armenian Grandmother, who Survived the Armenian Genocide
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Wind: 5 km/h