Armenian Communist Party and Its Foreign Policy Priorities: Interview with Tachat Sargsyan (EXCLUSIVE)
Parliamentary elections are also a choice of the foreign policy course of the country. One of the priorities of "Armedia" IAA is the coverage and analysis of the foreign policy of the Republic of Armenia. On the eve of parliamentary elections scheduled for April 2, "Armedia" IAA conducts interviews with the representatives of all nine political forces giving them the same questions, which will allow our readers to better understand the approaches of the political forces regarding the foreign policy priorities of Armenia.
"Armedia’’ IAA presents an exclusive interview with the president of the Armenian Communist Party, Tachat Sargsyan.
- Will you, please, name the three main priorities of the foreign policy directions of your political power?
- As you know, Armenia has become a member of the Eurasian Economic Union. The Communist Party welcomed that step of our Republic’s government, taking into consideration the following factors. First, becoming a member state of the (EAEU), safer conditions are ensured for the Republic of Armenia (RA), I mean the fact that the number of the EAEU population is 170 million and also the fact that for centuries Armenia has been with Russians. We think that we were, are and will be with Russians. Second, as an EAEU member, we regain the connections with the Soviet factories that we had during the Soviet government. Third, why not, new economic connections are gained.
There are people, who state that after becoming a member of the EAEU, the situation in Armenia has not become better. I should state that it is a new union, perhaps the existing laws do not work to a certain extent, which, however, is mainly the result of our governments non-flexible policy. As a member of the EAEU, the RA government should also have relations with the EU and other countries, which I should state, our government does.
Third prioprity of our foreign policy is Karabakh. It is true that NKR (Nagorno-Karabakh Republic) has become an independent state; however the pressure from the outside world has increased. Plus, Azerbaijan continuously delays and does not want to recognize NKR. One of the vectors of our foreign policy is the protection of Karabakh’s independence and it recognition in the future.
- What is your position on Karabakh conflict settlement process?
- The people of Karabakh have self-determined, further status of Karabakh is directly connected with the people of Karabakh. The people of Karabakh should determine their future fate themselves. The pressure on the Karabakh issue is high, however 99 percent of the population there is our compatriots, thus we should keep this issue, all its vectors without any exclusion, in the center of our attention.
- Do you consider it possible to restore the Armenian-Turkish relations in the near future? What is the key to progress in this direction? And what steps should be taken for the international recognition of the Armenian Genocide?
- The memory of the people is not short. Those generations, who witnessed the massacre, keep “the consequences” of the Yeghern (Ed. synonymous with Armenian Genocide) vivid. It is Genocide by the full meaning of the word. The restoration of the relations with Turkey is not that easy and demands a consistent work both economic and political, international active relations with Europe, Russia… All these factors should contribute to the restoration of our relations with Turkey. Of course, there are not permanent friends and enemies; however the losses inflicted by Turkey are so huge that for restoration of the relations, huge and hard work is needed.
- What is your approach towards Armenia’s integration processes? How do you see the development of Armenia's bilateral relations with the US, the Russian Federation and with individual European countries?
- The membership to the EAEU resolves the issue of the RA’s relationship with Russia and the EAEU member states. What refers to the European countries and the United States, nothing prevents the government of the RA from having friendly political and commercial relations both with the US and the European countries. In essence, this is what is done.
- How do you see the development of the relations of the RA with the neighboring countries, particularly with Iran and Georgia? What steps are needed in this direction?
- I should state, that both Georgia and Iran are friendly states for us, and the relations with third countries cannot have an impact on our relations. Armenia conducts a very right policy both with Iran and Georgia.
- What are your political force’s views on regional security issues?
- For the RA government and political forces, the preservation of the peace in the region should be number one priority. Today we are in a “no war, no peace” situation. The first issue for all the states in the region should be the preservation of peace in the region.
- How do you see the development of the Armenia-Diaspora cooperation? What should be the priorities of the overall agenda of this relationship?
- The relations with Diaspora were, are and will be at the highest level. Today, there are close connections, which are made stronger by the Ministry of Diaspora and by other official leverages. There are diverse and varied methods of work.
- What are your approaches to the processes that are ongoing in the Middle East and the policy of Armenia towards them?
- In any case we condemn all confrontations; our slogan is “peace in every corner of the world without exceptions.” The slogan of our party in the parliamentary elections is “Homeland, work, socialism.” If the party wins, the people will win, as we are the closest ally of the Armenians.
- RA President: Armenia Has No Longer Individual-Centered Government Our people witnessed the advantage of it, after the election, when for the first time in the history people did not gather and say they would make a revolution.
- The New Parliament Will Carry Out Multi-Vector and Balanced Foreign Policy In regard with Karabakh conflict, the new Parliament will have a joint approach – to resolve the conflict through peaceful negotiations. Nevertheless, in the approaches of the 4 political forces there...
- Post-Election Armenia: Changes Are Recorded in the Political Culture These elections were obsereved by an unprecedented number of observers, including both international observers and local ones, as well as our compatriots from Diaspora. This means that more representatives...
- Only 1.65% of the Armenian Voters Expressed Themselves in Favor of Great Concessions on Karabakh Issue It should be mentioned that the least votes received the approach adopted by "Congress-PPA" party, which supposed great concessions. Instead, the voters supported the settlement of the conflict with negotiations...
- What Relations with the Diaspora Did the RA Citizens Choose? Armenian Revolutionary Federation, which received 103,48 votes, thinks that the Armenian Diaspora should be fully integrated in the development of Armenian statehood.
Armenia PM Office's Security Council Bureau Head Has New Deputy
Peaceful Settlement of Karabakh Conflict Has no Alternative - Peskov
Turkey’s Participation in Karabakh Conflict Settlement Process Possible Only With Consent of Yerevan and Baku – Kremlin Spokesperson
Artsakh President Addresses Armenians with a Special Video Message from the Trench
The Cost of Each Minute of Delay is Human Lives – Karen Bekaryan Addresses the World
The Ontario Parliament Requested to Expel Turkey from NATO, Discuss the Recognition of Artsakh
Fierce Battles Continue in Different Directions: MOD Representative
Destruction of Azerbaijani Military Infrastructure (video)
Armenia Records 70836 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Australia’s New South Wales Legislative Assembly Officially Recognizes Artsakh Independence
Azerbaijan Is Firing Artillery Strikes At Martuni And Nearby Villages
No Rocket Has Been Fired From the Territory of the Republic of Armenia in the Direction of Azerbaijan: Shushan Stepanyan
Over the Night, Situation in the Zone of Artsakh-Azerbaijan Conflict Has Been Relatively Stable-Tense
Kim Kardashian: US Library of Congress Announced it Will Now Use Subject Heading Armenian Genocide
Armenian MFA urges Azerbaijan, Turkey not to Undermine Efforts to Establish Verifiable Ceasefire
Clashes Continue on the Front Line
Armenia Was and Now Too Is Ready for Peaceful Settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh Conflict: PM’s Spokesperson
Pompeo Says Will Talk with the Armenian and Azerbaijani FMs about Nagorno Karabakh on Friday
Voice Message of a Syrian Mercenary Fighting against Artsakh in the Azerbaijani Army
Azerbaijani Forces Have Employed Czech DANA 152-mm Self-Propelled Artillery Pieces against Artsakh Army
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
Armenia Records 47877 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Ilham Aliyev’s Statements Demonstrate the Degree of Confusion of the Azerbaijani Authorities: Artsakh MFA
Despite Your Best Efforts, Turkey, Azerbaijan... We Will Never Be Annihilated: Alexis Ohanian
Macron Says Ready to Talk with Turkey, but Respect Needed
Russia’s FM Discussed with Azerbaijani Side NK Status Issue and Liberation of Surrounding Territories: Russian MFA
Armenia's Healthcare Minister and Chinese Ambassador Discuss Potential COVID-19 Vaccine Application
Davit Tonoyan and Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Chaired an Inter-Agency Consultation
Kim Kardashian donates 1 million USD to "Hayastan" All Armenian Fund
Wind: 6 km/h