Turkey-EU: Problem of Democracy or Religion?
During a plenary session in Strasbourg yesterday, the European Parliament passed a resolution on Turkey calling on the European Union and the European Commission to immediately stop the negotiations with Ankara on EU accession if its authorities do not make the necessary changes in the constitutional reform.
477 MPs voted for the consultative resolution, and 64 against, RIA Novosti reported.
The document emphasizes that negotiations on Turkey's accession to the EU should be halted if the death penalty is restored in the country. The resolution criticizes the "large-scale, disproportionate and long-term negative impacts on a large number of citizens," following a failed revolution attempt of July 2016, including mass arrests, group dismissals, closure of a number of media outlets, secondary and higher education institutions, etc.
At the same time, taking into consideration the importance of EU relations with Turkey, in particular in the fight against migration crisis and terrorism, the parliamentarians also pointed out the importance of Ankara's respect for democracy, legality and fundamental rights in the context of political cooperation between the parties.
Turkey's EU Affairs Minister Omer Celik said in response that the suspension of EU accession talks could have the worst consequences. He called that decision "a terrible mistake." Earlier, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, in his turn told that Ankara wanted the EU to present its vision of the future with reference to the role Turkey would play there.
However, German chancellor, the ruling coalition's leader Angela Merkel and her political team have also objected to Turkey's EU membership. This was stated in their pre-election program. "We refuse Turkey's full membership to the European Union, as that country did not fulfill the preconditions for membership. In addition, we are deeply concerned about the latest developments in the legal state of Turkey, particularly concerning the freedom of speech and the media."
In the recent months, the relations between Ankara and Brussels have been in deep crisis. The EU criticized the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for attempts to put pressure on the opposition and concentrate power in his hands. Turkey, on the background of deteriorating relations with the EU, is threatening Brussels to cancel the agreement to host refugees traveling to Europe, Radio Liberty reports.
According to the agreement between Brussels and Ankara, all the illegal refugees coming from Turkey to any of the Greek islands, will be sent back to Turkey. After the signing of this agreement in March 2016, the flow of refugees to European countries has been reduced.
Earlier Erdoğan said that the main factor in EU's non-acceptance of Turkey is religion. In addition, according to him, Turkey will not wait for the "European gates" forever and is ready to give up talks if some of the member states of the EU maintain Islamophobia and hostility towards Turkey.
Obviously, Turkey's conflict with the EU has been constantly deepening ever since. The country has been a candidate for EU membership for decades, but many European leaders have repeatedly objected to Turkey’s acceptance.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Azerbaijan, Turkey FMs Discuss Regional Situation During the phone talk, the two FMs exchanged opinions on the current regional situation and the agenda of bilateral cooperation.
- Erdogan, Biden Might Meet in September- Media Turkey plans to buy 40 F-16 fighter jets from the US and upgrade another eighty. US President Joe Biden stated that he expects to receive the approval of the [US] Congress to sell F-16 fighter jets to...
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases Last year, the European Commission proposed to the EU countries a system of joint purchases of strategic gas reserves as a way to provide a buffer against possible supply disruptions. Fears of supply disruptions...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
Pashinyan to pay a working visit to Prague
Azerbaijan fired at Armenian positions from mortars and large-caliber firearms
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
There is an opinion on creating Nagorno Karabakh-Azerbaijan international dialogue mechanism: Armenian FM
Artsakh says ready for direct talks with Azerbaijan, calls for comprehensive settlement involving all parties
Pashinyan to hold meeting with Erdogan, quadrilateral meeting with Aliyev in Prague
Possible wars are prevented or won thanks to the teachers’ deep circumspection and the ability of educating generations ready for challenges of life: Alen Simonyan
Trade and economic cooperation with Armenia demonstrates rapid growth: Russian FM Sergey Lavrov
CSTO Secretary General reported Armenian PM on Organization’s proposals: Russian Ambassador
What matters more for EU, Azeri gas or Armenian blood? –MEP Jordan Bardella lambasts Borrell for 'ideological blindness'
Armenia agreed to EU’s offer on deploying border monitoring mission, but Azerbaijan refused: Josep Borrell
Today, more than ever, we need to be strong in mind, knowledge and education: Vahagn Khachaturyan
FLYONE ARMENIA to start operating flights on the route Yerevan-Yekaterinburg–Yerevan
Armenian FM, USAID Administrator discuss the prospects of expansion of programs in Armenia
Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani border remains unchanged
Blinken expressed appreciation for the positive steps Armenia and Azerbaijan are taking towards reaching a sustainable peace agreement
Armenia delivered the Joint Statement on digital technologies and hate speech
7-8 point earthquake recorded in Iran: the earthquake was felt in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia, the U.S. State Secretary and the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan
Ukrainian President Zelensky invokes decree on impossibility of holding talks with Putin
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Mutual recognition of territorial integrity must be basis of peace treaty: Pashinyan
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
Developments around Ukraine played significant role in Azerbaijan deciding to attack Armenia in September: Pashinyan
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Wind: 3.09 km/h