Turkey-EU: Problem of Democracy or Religion?
During a plenary session in Strasbourg yesterday, the European Parliament passed a resolution on Turkey calling on the European Union and the European Commission to immediately stop the negotiations with Ankara on EU accession if its authorities do not make the necessary changes in the constitutional reform.
477 MPs voted for the consultative resolution, and 64 against, RIA Novosti reported.
The document emphasizes that negotiations on Turkey's accession to the EU should be halted if the death penalty is restored in the country. The resolution criticizes the "large-scale, disproportionate and long-term negative impacts on a large number of citizens," following a failed revolution attempt of July 2016, including mass arrests, group dismissals, closure of a number of media outlets, secondary and higher education institutions, etc.
At the same time, taking into consideration the importance of EU relations with Turkey, in particular in the fight against migration crisis and terrorism, the parliamentarians also pointed out the importance of Ankara's respect for democracy, legality and fundamental rights in the context of political cooperation between the parties.
Turkey's EU Affairs Minister Omer Celik said in response that the suspension of EU accession talks could have the worst consequences. He called that decision "a terrible mistake." Earlier, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, in his turn told that Ankara wanted the EU to present its vision of the future with reference to the role Turkey would play there.
However, German chancellor, the ruling coalition's leader Angela Merkel and her political team have also objected to Turkey's EU membership. This was stated in their pre-election program. "We refuse Turkey's full membership to the European Union, as that country did not fulfill the preconditions for membership. In addition, we are deeply concerned about the latest developments in the legal state of Turkey, particularly concerning the freedom of speech and the media."
In the recent months, the relations between Ankara and Brussels have been in deep crisis. The EU criticized the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for attempts to put pressure on the opposition and concentrate power in his hands. Turkey, on the background of deteriorating relations with the EU, is threatening Brussels to cancel the agreement to host refugees traveling to Europe, Radio Liberty reports.
According to the agreement between Brussels and Ankara, all the illegal refugees coming from Turkey to any of the Greek islands, will be sent back to Turkey. After the signing of this agreement in March 2016, the flow of refugees to European countries has been reduced.
Earlier Erdoğan said that the main factor in EU's non-acceptance of Turkey is religion. In addition, according to him, Turkey will not wait for the "European gates" forever and is ready to give up talks if some of the member states of the EU maintain Islamophobia and hostility towards Turkey.
Obviously, Turkey's conflict with the EU has been constantly deepening ever since. The country has been a candidate for EU membership for decades, but many European leaders have repeatedly objected to Turkey’s acceptance.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Azerbaijan, Turkey FMs Discuss Regional Situation During the phone talk, the two FMs exchanged opinions on the current regional situation and the agenda of bilateral cooperation.
- Erdogan, Biden Might Meet in September- Media Turkey plans to buy 40 F-16 fighter jets from the US and upgrade another eighty. US President Joe Biden stated that he expects to receive the approval of the [US] Congress to sell F-16 fighter jets to...
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases Last year, the European Commission proposed to the EU countries a system of joint purchases of strategic gas reserves as a way to provide a buffer against possible supply disruptions. Fears of supply disruptions...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Catholicos Garegin II Prepares New Meeting with Former Presidents of Armenia and Artsakh
No need to look for any hint or hidden subtext: Defense Ministry spox clarifies remarks of Deputy Chief of General Staff
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Foreign Minister of Artsakh met with Representatives of the Armenian National Committee of America-Western Region
Foreign Minister of the Republic of Artsakh Met with California State Senator Anthony J. Portantino and California Assembly member Adrin Nazarian
Lavrov: Deploying CSTO observation mission in Karabakh being discussed
Foreign Minister David Babayan's Visit to Holy Martyrs Ferrahian High School in Los Angeles
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
There is no talk of any “extraterritorial corridor” in negotiations of trilateral working group and cannot be - Overchuk
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to meet in Geneva
Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Remains Unchanged
Putin signs decrees to recognize independence of Zaporozhye, Kherson regions
West attempts to stir conflict among CIS countries: Putin
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Russia continues vigorous efforts to de-escalate the situation on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Azerbaijan captured several military outposts in direction of Vardenis
Foreign ambassadors visit Kut village to witness aftermath of Azerbaijani bombardments
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Alen Simonyan’s Congratulations to Artur Tovmasyan on Artsakh Independence Day
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Ukrainian General Estimates Kiev’s Losses at Hundreds of Thousands since Feb
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Latest Events on Armenian-Azerbaijani Border Have Nothing to Do with Karabakh: Putin
We Call on Azerbaijan to Return the Troops to their Initial Positions: US Embassy to Armenia
Pashinyan Presents the Consequences of Azerbaijan's Aggression to the President of Slovenia
Reports on Evacuations in Tavush Border Towns Are Fake News: Governor’s Office
Trump Warns US 'Is Going to Hell' and Needs Strong Leadership
Wind: 5.66 km/h