Turkey's New ''Tool'' Against the EU
The Turkish Parliament established its own commission to investigate the situation concerning Islamophobia in 4 EU member countries.
MPs will focus their attention on those states where, in their opinion, "there are the most vivid manifestations of Islamophobia: Austria, Germany, France and Belgium." They plan to get permission from these countries to investigate on the spot. The commission began its work on January 9.
MPs in Turkey believe that the initiative of the Turkish parliament is a kind of response to the racist statements of the Austrians. The latters voiced such accusations in connection with the news that the first child born in 2018 in Austria was a girl with Turkish genetics. This is not the first accusation against Austria concerning Muslims. In June, the former head of the Austrian Foreign Ministry, Sebastian Kurtz, proposed closing down Muslim kindergartens. However, representatives of the Islamic community called this statement unacceptable and it was not supported by the authorities either.
Chairman of the Turkish Human Rights Commission Omer Serdar said that the growth rates of Islamophobia over the past 10-15 years in Europe are very worrying. In 2016, Western countries recorded more than 2,800 cases of Islamophobia. Last year, this figure exceeded 3,000.
The commission investigating the situation with Islamophobia in Western countries intends to fully consider this issue, beginning with insults towards Muslims, acts of violence, discrimination in work, problems related to wearing a Muslim burqa, and ending with restrictions on freedom of religion and attacks on mosques.
At first glance, the basis of such an initiative of the Turkish parliament is the principles of humanism and religious tolerance. However, if we consider the issue in a broader spectrum, i.e. in the context of the relations between Turkey and the EU, Ankara's far-reaching plans are becoming apparent. In particular, the large "cleansing" initiated by the Turkish authorities, aimed at neutralizing the undesirable elements after the unsuccessful attempt of a military coup in 2016, as well as special actions against the Kurds in the east of the country, have been and are being condemned by Europe. The prolonged incidents of violation of human rights and freedoms led to the fact that the OSCE, with the support of the majority of deputies, restored the monitoring process in relation to this country.
At the moment, Turkey, by creating a special commission to study the situation with Islamophobia in the EU countries, is trying, in fact, to neutralize the actions of European countries in the same way, in particular, by updating the issues of supporting the freedoms and rights of Muslims in these countries. It is more than obvious that for this commission it will not be difficult at all to monitor the statements of officials at different levels, which may contain anti-Islamic elements or hints, especially at a time when the migration crisis is considered one of the main challenges for the EU.
The choice of the countries that will be at the center of the commission's attention is not accidental either. A large number of Muslims live in Austria, Germany, France and Belgium, and in particular, the Turks. Taking into account Turkey's influence on these communities, it can be assumed that they will be actively used to exert pressure on the governments of the above-mentioned countries. Thus, Turkey has a serious lever in the face of the problems of Islamophobia, which it will use to counter the pressures of the EU on the one hand, and on the other hand, to get concessions from the EU or its individual member states.
Summing up, it should be noted that such an initiative of the Turkish parliament will give Ankara opportunity to receive certain dividends in the Islamic world as well. The fact that Turkey assumes the role of defender of the rights of Muslims in Europe, can significantly increase its authority among Islamic countries.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Azerbaijan, Turkey FMs Discuss Regional Situation During the phone talk, the two FMs exchanged opinions on the current regional situation and the agenda of bilateral cooperation.
- Erdogan, Biden Might Meet in September- Media Turkey plans to buy 40 F-16 fighter jets from the US and upgrade another eighty. US President Joe Biden stated that he expects to receive the approval of the [US] Congress to sell F-16 fighter jets to...
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases Last year, the European Commission proposed to the EU countries a system of joint purchases of strategic gas reserves as a way to provide a buffer against possible supply disruptions. Fears of supply disruptions...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
Pashinyan to pay a working visit to Prague
Azerbaijan fired at Armenian positions from mortars and large-caliber firearms
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
There is an opinion on creating Nagorno Karabakh-Azerbaijan international dialogue mechanism: Armenian FM
Artsakh says ready for direct talks with Azerbaijan, calls for comprehensive settlement involving all parties
Pashinyan to hold meeting with Erdogan, quadrilateral meeting with Aliyev in Prague
Possible wars are prevented or won thanks to the teachers’ deep circumspection and the ability of educating generations ready for challenges of life: Alen Simonyan
Trade and economic cooperation with Armenia demonstrates rapid growth: Russian FM Sergey Lavrov
CSTO Secretary General reported Armenian PM on Organization’s proposals: Russian Ambassador
What matters more for EU, Azeri gas or Armenian blood? –MEP Jordan Bardella lambasts Borrell for 'ideological blindness'
Armenia agreed to EU’s offer on deploying border monitoring mission, but Azerbaijan refused: Josep Borrell
Today, more than ever, we need to be strong in mind, knowledge and education: Vahagn Khachaturyan
FLYONE ARMENIA to start operating flights on the route Yerevan-Yekaterinburg–Yerevan
Armenian FM, USAID Administrator discuss the prospects of expansion of programs in Armenia
Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani border remains unchanged
Blinken expressed appreciation for the positive steps Armenia and Azerbaijan are taking towards reaching a sustainable peace agreement
Armenia delivered the Joint Statement on digital technologies and hate speech
7-8 point earthquake recorded in Iran: the earthquake was felt in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia, the U.S. State Secretary and the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan
Ukrainian President Zelensky invokes decree on impossibility of holding talks with Putin
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Mutual recognition of territorial integrity must be basis of peace treaty: Pashinyan
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
Developments around Ukraine played significant role in Azerbaijan deciding to attack Armenia in September: Pashinyan
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Wind: 3.09 km/h