Frank Engel: Turkey Will Never be an EU Member
Member of the European Parliament Frank Engel from Luxembourg calls Turkey’s actions in Syria a real scandal. MEP Frank Engel commented on the statements of the high-ranking officials of the EU member states according to which they urge the EU to stop accession talks with Turkey, Armenpress reports.
"Turkey justifies its actions by threats of terrorists, security, but there is no such threat both in Afrin and the territories which they target. I think it’s necessary to clearly explain Turkey, or as I understand, it has already been clearly explained that we negatively react to this. Turkey is a big neighbor, and I have repeatedly stated that we need to somehow adapt to our co-existence with big neighbors (by the way, Russian is also a big neighbor). Not communicating with each other is not an option in any way, but at the same time to pretend that you do something which will never happen, is again not an option. Turkey will never be an EU member: this just will not happen, and we must stop pretending that it can happen," the MEP noted, adding that theoretically one can imagine Turkey as a member of the EU, the lawmaker personally doesn’t see any problem on this matter, but according to him, this is impossible in the circumstances of Turkey’s current leadership and such position.
Frank Engel stated that Turkey also faced a great regress in the law field which is unacceptable both for him and any EU member state. "The day when Turkey changes, stops aggression against Cyprus, opens the border with Armenia, normalizes the relations with all neighbors, releases journalists arrested on unfair grounds, I perhaps will imagine a relation with Turkey, but Turkey will never be so," the MEP stated.
- EU Urges Turkey to Stop Offering Russia Solutions to Circumvent Sanctions Speaking about the EU's engagement with Turkey, an important neighbor, EU partner and candidate country for EU membership, we stress the importance of ensuring that Turkey's foreign policy is aligned with...
- Any Change of Internationally Recognized Borders in Region is Unacceptable – Iranian President to Erdogan "The basis of our policy in the region is that the fates of the countries must be determined by themselves and that their national sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected" Raisi told Erdogan...
- Azerbaijan, Turkey FMs Discuss Regional Situation During the phone talk, the two FMs exchanged opinions on the current regional situation and the agenda of bilateral cooperation.
- Erdogan, Biden Might Meet in September- Media Turkey plans to buy 40 F-16 fighter jets from the US and upgrade another eighty. US President Joe Biden stated that he expects to receive the approval of the [US] Congress to sell F-16 fighter jets to...
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases Last year, the European Commission proposed to the EU countries a system of joint purchases of strategic gas reserves as a way to provide a buffer against possible supply disruptions. Fears of supply disruptions...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
Pashinyan to pay a working visit to Prague
Azerbaijan fired at Armenian positions from mortars and large-caliber firearms
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
There is an opinion on creating Nagorno Karabakh-Azerbaijan international dialogue mechanism: Armenian FM
Artsakh says ready for direct talks with Azerbaijan, calls for comprehensive settlement involving all parties
Pashinyan to hold meeting with Erdogan, quadrilateral meeting with Aliyev in Prague
Possible wars are prevented or won thanks to the teachers’ deep circumspection and the ability of educating generations ready for challenges of life: Alen Simonyan
Trade and economic cooperation with Armenia demonstrates rapid growth: Russian FM Sergey Lavrov
CSTO Secretary General reported Armenian PM on Organization’s proposals: Russian Ambassador
What matters more for EU, Azeri gas or Armenian blood? –MEP Jordan Bardella lambasts Borrell for 'ideological blindness'
Armenia agreed to EU’s offer on deploying border monitoring mission, but Azerbaijan refused: Josep Borrell
Today, more than ever, we need to be strong in mind, knowledge and education: Vahagn Khachaturyan
FLYONE ARMENIA to start operating flights on the route Yerevan-Yekaterinburg–Yerevan
Armenian FM, USAID Administrator discuss the prospects of expansion of programs in Armenia
Situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani border remains unchanged
Blinken expressed appreciation for the positive steps Armenia and Azerbaijan are taking towards reaching a sustainable peace agreement
Armenia delivered the Joint Statement on digital technologies and hate speech
7-8 point earthquake recorded in Iran: the earthquake was felt in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia, the U.S. State Secretary and the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan
Ukrainian President Zelensky invokes decree on impossibility of holding talks with Putin
Azerbaijan Returns Five POWs to Armenian Side
Azeri Propaganda Spreads Fake Videos, Old Gootage From 2020 War
Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Iran
Mutual recognition of territorial integrity must be basis of peace treaty: Pashinyan
EU Condemns Russian Annexation, will Never Accept "Illegal" Referendums
Erdogan and Pashinyan may meet soon: Rubinyan
Zelensky says ready for dialogue with Russia, but not with Putin
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary holds meetings at CIA headquarters
Developments around Ukraine played significant role in Azerbaijan deciding to attack Armenia in September: Pashinyan
Pashinyan Meets with UN Secretary General António Guterres
Wind: 2.57 km/h