Frank Engel: Turkey Will Never be an EU Member
Member of the European Parliament Frank Engel from Luxembourg calls Turkey’s actions in Syria a real scandal. MEP Frank Engel commented on the statements of the high-ranking officials of the EU member states according to which they urge the EU to stop accession talks with Turkey, Armenpress reports.
"Turkey justifies its actions by threats of terrorists, security, but there is no such threat both in Afrin and the territories which they target. I think it’s necessary to clearly explain Turkey, or as I understand, it has already been clearly explained that we negatively react to this. Turkey is a big neighbor, and I have repeatedly stated that we need to somehow adapt to our co-existence with big neighbors (by the way, Russian is also a big neighbor). Not communicating with each other is not an option in any way, but at the same time to pretend that you do something which will never happen, is again not an option. Turkey will never be an EU member: this just will not happen, and we must stop pretending that it can happen," the MEP noted, adding that theoretically one can imagine Turkey as a member of the EU, the lawmaker personally doesn’t see any problem on this matter, but according to him, this is impossible in the circumstances of Turkey’s current leadership and such position.
Frank Engel stated that Turkey also faced a great regress in the law field which is unacceptable both for him and any EU member state. "The day when Turkey changes, stops aggression against Cyprus, opens the border with Armenia, normalizes the relations with all neighbors, releases journalists arrested on unfair grounds, I perhaps will imagine a relation with Turkey, but Turkey will never be so," the MEP stated.
- Erdogan, Biden Might Meet in September- Media Turkey plans to buy 40 F-16 fighter jets from the US and upgrade another eighty. US President Joe Biden stated that he expects to receive the approval of the [US] Congress to sell F-16 fighter jets to...
- Azerbaijani FM Informed Turkish FM About the Attack On the Azerbaijani Embassy In London During the telephone conversation, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkiye expressed concern about the attack of a gang of radical religious groups on the building of the Embassy of the Republic of...
- Turkey Not to Compromise on Issue of Sweden’s, Finland’s NATO Membership — Erdogan Until Sweden and Finland stop supporting terrorist organizations, they should not expect us to be positive about their membership in NATO.
- Turkey’s Erdogan meets with Iran’s Supreme Leader in Tehran The meeting was held in a closed format for the press and lasted 40 minutes.
- Erdogan Says US Delays Deliveries of F-16 Fighter Jets To Turkish Air Force This issue is still on the table, Erdogan explained at a press conference before leaving for the NATO summit in Madrid.
- The European Union Has Decided to Abandon Russian Coal In the Summer Many countries have joined these sanctions, even if this necessarily implies economic costs for ourselves," he noted.
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- EU Leaders Agree on Joint Gas Purchases Last year, the European Commission proposed to the EU countries a system of joint purchases of strategic gas reserves as a way to provide a buffer against possible supply disruptions. Fears of supply disruptions...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
Alen Simonyan Receives Letters of Condolence
Sweden and Finland Don't Comply With Turkey's Extradition Requests
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
UAE Embassy Offers Condolences Over Market Blast
OSCE Secretary General Offers Condolences Over Deadly Blast at Armenia’s Surmalu Market
No Indication of Terrorism or Criminal Intent in Surmalu Blast: Argishti Kyaramyan
PM Says He Had Ordered Authorities to Collect Information on Hazardous Material Storage Sites after Beirut Blast
President Vahagn Khachaturyan’s Message of Condolences
Russian Diplomat Reassures Armenians Over Corridor In Karabakh
Nagorno Karabakh Conflict: United States Reiterates Need for a Negotiated, Comprehensive, and Sustainable Settlement
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Phone Talk with Mikhail Mishustin
Turkey Decides to Restore Diplomatic Relations with Israel
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Magnitude 4.0 Earthquake Hits Eastern Turkey
Book of Condolences Opened at All Armenia Diplomatic Missions Abroad
The President of Kazakhstan Sends Condolence Message to Prime Minister Pashinyan
No bombs found at Shirak international airport, railway station
Parliament to Debate Banning Fireworks
Embassy of Georgia in Armenia Expresses Condolences to Families of Victims of Surmalu Blast
Armenia Prosecutor General’s Office: No One is Charged in Yerevan Market Blast Case
Raffi Hovannisian Barred from Entering Artsakh
Mourad Papazian Starting Legal Action Over Armenia Entry Ban
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Russia, Iran Developing Alternative to SWIFT
Russia is Not Against Involvement of Extra-Regional Players in Normalization of Yerevan-Baku Relations
The Armenian Side Conveyed Proposals Regarding the Activities of the Peacekeepers to the Russian Leadership in 2021: MFA
Vahagn Khachaturyan received the President of the General Assembly of the United Nations Abdulla Shahid
Armenia Deputy PM Matevosyan Receives AMD Technology Company Vice Presidents
Reconstruction of Lachin Bypass to Begin in August 2022
Turkish FM Expects 'Concrete Steps' from Yerevan in Normalization Process
Wind: 4.12 km/h