"I Don't Speak Armenian, but I'm Armenian": Alain Prost - Living Legend of Formula One
"My mother is Armenian; we spent all our childhood with my grandfather, who told us various stories about Armenia. When you are only 10 years old - these are just stories. You realize their real meaning a bit later. Today, these stories are an integral part of my life. I do not speak Armenian, but I am Armenian, and this is the most important thing ", - racing driver and a four-time Formula One Drivers' Champion Alain Prost said.
Alain Prost was born on 24 February 1955, near the town of Saint-Chamond in the family of André Prost and Marie-Rose Karatchian, born in France of Armenian descent. Alain’s younger brother Daniel died of cancer in 1986. Although short, Prost was an active, athletic child, who enthusiastically took part in diverse sports, including wrestling, roller skating and football. Prost did everything in the sake of victory, and in doing so he broke his nose several times. That is how his nose got the form, which in the future became famous to the whole world. Alain considered careers as a gym instructor or a professional footballer before he discovered kart racing at the age of 14 while on a family holiday. The boy once and forever fell in love with the speed and roar of the motors and later from the kart driver became the greatest Formula One champion.
Alain is a four-time World Formula One Drivers' Champion (1985, 1986, 1989, 1993). In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Prost set a number of records and only Michael Schumacher managed to break them a decade later. Alain Prost was awarded the Légion d'Honneur by President François Mitterrand. The most striking period in Alain Prost’s career was during his rivalry with Ayrton Senna, who is the McLaren Formula One team member. But despite the scandals and quarrels caused by this rivalry, by the end of the career, the two champions had completely neutral relations. Senna once said that Alain "... always sought to be at the peak and even higher."
Alain Prost had three nicknames at once. Initially, in 1986, Alain was nicknamed the "Calculator" due to the exact calculation of the fuel consumption at the San Marino Grand Prix. Because of the empty tanks of Keke Rosberg's car his teammate Alain Prost led the race. Alain had to work hard to have enough fuel in his car to reach the finish. Later, this calculations and intellectual approach to racing earned him the nickname 'The Professor'. But the completely innocent nickname "Clown" became offensive for Prost after Senna's fans began using it for insulting him.
In 1997, Prost bought the Ligier team and renamed it "Prost Grand Prix". The team has not achieved any serious success. Many connect this to the fact that Alan is soft-hearted and such work needs rigidity and even cruelty.
Nowadays, Prost remains actively involved in the auto sport community by working with Formula E and Renault F1 teams.
Alain Prost is married; he has two sons and a daughter. The eldest son Prost Nicolas is a racing driver, too. Alain Prost has always identified himself as Armenian. In March 2007, he was awarded the "Armenian Cesar", which is considered the highest award of the Armenian community of France. Today Prost is one of the most prominent and active representatives of the Armenian Diaspora. He also remains "the fastest Armenian of the world."
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand “If it were not for the Armenian identity in the family, I would not have had such accomplishments,” said Seerpoohi Elias, the first female Chief Justice of New Zealand.
- Nubar Pasha, Armenian, the First Prime Minister of Egypt "Nubar Pasha is an Egyptian-Armenian politician, Christian and the first Prime Minister of Egypt. An Educated person, who fluently speaks a few languages, he is a genuine diplomat of the time," Brighouse...
- Jack Aghazarian, WW2 Special Agent of Armenian Descent Jack Charles Aghazaryan, one of Britain's bravest spies in the Special Forces Department during World War II.
- Sir Khachik Paul Chater, Father of Hong Kong The most famous Armenian of all times who lived in China was Khachik Pogose Astwachatoor, known as Paul Chater.
- GM Levon Aronian Now Represents the United States Aronain is currently listed 6th on FIDE World ranking.
- Armenia's Davit Chaloyan Becomes World's Silver Medalist Davit Chaloyan has become the world’s boxing silver medalist in the most prestigious weight category. By the decision of the referees, the 24-year-old Armenian boxer was defeated by Russia’s champion...
- Joaquin Caparros Announced the Players' List for Upcoming Matches Armenian national team camp will start on November 8 at FFA Technical centre.
- Armenia's Davit Ovasapyan Becomes U-23 Silver Medalist During the final in the 130 kg category, Armenia’s representative competed with Iranian wrestler Amin Mirzazade and was defeated 1-2.
- Armenian National Team is 89th in FIFA World Cup Rankings The Belgian national team is still on top of the world rankings.
Proposals for Large-Scale Investment Programs in the Field of Urban Development Discussed at Government
Armenian FM, US Secretary of State Make a Detailed Reference to the Nagorno Karabakh Conflict
The Ministerial Working Meeting of the CSTO Member States Took Place
Arayik Harutyunyan received responsible officials of a number of NGOs
Main Christmas Tree to Be Put Up in Yerevan
Iran Gives JCPOA Parties Proposals on Sanctions Removal, Nuclear Commitments
Robert Kocharyan Chairs Meeting of Opposition Armenia Faction
The Government Plans to Introduce an Online System for Obtaining Building Permits
Blinken Calls on Baku and Yerevan to Resolve Humanitarian Issues
Azerbaijani Side Fired in the Direction of Karmir Shuka: Artsakh Ombudsman
5-Day Weather Forecastin Armenia
EU to Provide Support to Armenia to Improve Aviation Safety Performance
EU Launches €300bn Fund to Challenge China’s Influence
Trilateral Deputy Prime Ministerial Task Force Meeting to Resume in 'Coming Days'
Armenia Records 339578 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Meeting of Foreign Minister of Armenia Ararat Mirzoyan with the Speaker of Swedish Riksdag Andreas Norlén
Lavrov Speaks about Russia's Role in Finding Solutions to Issues of Dispute Between Armenia and Azerbaijan
Some Roads Are Cosed in Armenia
Ahmet Davutoglu Asks Erdogan Not to Talk about the Exchange Rate of the Lira
Bayramov and Mirzoyan to Meet in Stockholm on December 2
Armenian Scientists Become Eligible for the EU's Largest Funding Program
Artsakh National Security Service Releases Statement on Incident Near Shushi Checkpoint
Man Detained near Shushi to Be Handed over to Artsakh Law Enforcement Agencies: Ombudsman
Ararat Mirzoyan, Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne Discussed Peaceful Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict
West at Risk of Conflict with Russia, Britain's Army Chief Says
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Giacomo Luigi Ciamician, Armenian Chemist, the Pioneer of Solar Energy Idea
Under the Guise of Unblocking the Roads, the Azerbaijani Authorities are Pursuing a Targeted Policy of Isolating the Civilian Residential Communities of Armenia: Tatoyan
Azerbaijan Forces Open Fire in the Direction of Armenian Positions in Verin Shorzha
Another Act of Vandalism Committed by Azerbaijanis (video)