Dimitry Safonov: It is not Religious Extremism, but Extremism under Religious Cover
Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Dimitry Safonov, head of the Sector for Interreligious Contacts of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations. The Interview was conducted during the "5th Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions" in Astana in the framework of "Armenia-Kazakhstan: Cooperation Platforms" project, with the support of Embassy of Kazakhstan in Armenia.
- What was the main message of the Fifth Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions?
- I was very pleased with what I heard at the opening of the Congress from the lips of many speakers. In addition to inter-religious dialogue, I am engaged in a very serious problem, the problem of the persecution of Christians, of which Christians are suffering in many countries. A very important issue that was announced here is the problem of religious extremism, or, to be more correct, the extremism under religious cover, because religion itself does not generate extremism. It is important to hear right from religious leaders, especially from Muslim ones, that religion does not call for violence, it calls for peace and good friendly relations, as in the very name of religion, under the guise of Islam's holy places, the extremists of the Islamic State and other terrorist groups are acting today, brutally destroying the Christian population of Syria and Iraq. The Genocide that was carried out 100 years ago towards Armenians, is now being carried out towards all the Christians of the Middle East, both Armenians and Assyrians and Catholics, Orthodox, Chaldean and many more. Thus there is a total destruction of Christianity under the guise of religion which is terrible! Not because they are of different nationality (as the history already knows what the interethnic massacres are), but precisely just because they are Christians.
This hatred for extremists exists not only towards Christians but towards all dissenters. Today it was said that there are certain political forces, even the states, which maybe not openly but anyway do support and finance this kind of extremist movements. But the international community should be united. It is very important that we managed to invite UN Secretary-General Pan Gi Moon to this fifth Congress. I am aware quite well that the UN has always been very careful towards religion. We even once offered to the United Nations to create a permanent body of religious leaders. This suggestion was not accepted as the organization stressed that it is a secular one, not related to religion. But today it became clear that without religion it is impossible to establish peace, and without religious leaders there cannot be a settlement even to political conflicts. But the fact that Kazakhstan managed to invite the Secretary-General of the UN and all these issues will, I hope, be included on the agenda of the United Nations, is really the most important achievement of this Congress.
- Tokayev Sworn in As Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev took the oath of office as Kazakhstan’s president at a ceremony in the Independence Palace in the capital Nur-Sultan on Wednesday.
- Kazakhstan to Hold Early Presidential Election on June 9 Interim president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, calls a snap election, citing the need to eliminate political uncertainty.
- Nazarbayev's Resignation to Improve Kazakhstan's Image: Marat Shibutov, Political Scientist (EXCLUSIVE) Kazakh political scientist Marat Shibutov, in an interview with "Armedia" IAA comments on Nursultan Nazarbayev’s resignation.
- More than 40 Countries Cooperate with Eurasian Economic Union 2017 was successful. Trade turnover between our countries grew 27%. We see great interest towards our union, today more than 40 countries are cooperating with us.
- Karen Karapetyan Receives Kazakhstan Ambassador The Premier highlighted the diversification of bilateral economic cooperation, stressing that the current level of bilateral trade turnover does not correspond to the existing potential.
Ararat Mirzoyan Has Private Talk with President of National Assembly of Artsakh
Chair of Artsakh NA Standing Committee on State and Legal Affairs Emphasized the strengthening of the Inter-Committee Ties with Armenia's NA
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Spanish Senate Ratifies Armenia-EU CEPA
"Aurora" to Kick off a Global Series of Events on October 19 in New York City
Trump Declines to Commit to a Peaceful Transition of Power after Election
EU Believes Lukashenko’s Inauguration Lacks Legitimacy
Biden leads Trump by 10 points nationally in new pair of polls
Coronavirus Situation Worsens in Armenia, Says PM
Artsakh Confirms 9 New Cases of COVID-19 in Past 24 Hours
Israel Tightens Coronavirus Restrictions as Cases Continue to Surge
Trudeau: Canada Already in Second Wave of Coronavirus
Armenia Records 48251 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Obama Shares His Phone Number
Armenia’s New Ambassador to Bulgaria Presents Credentials to President Rumen Radev
Russia’s FM Discussed with Azerbaijani Side NK Status Issue and Liberation of Surrounding Territories: Russian MFA
Military Exercises "Shant-2020" To Be Held On November 16-20 In Armenia
Armen Sarkissian: Armenia and China Have Great Potential for Cooperation
US-Based SADA Systems Plans to Establish Global Center for Technological Solutions in Armenia
Weather forecast in Armenia
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Violation of the Rights of the Officer Gurgen Alaverdyan who Appeared Under the Azerbaijani Jurisdiction
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Ancient Armenian Fortress Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia Joined International Religious Freedom Alliance’s COVID-19 and Religious Minorities Pandemic Statement
The Government of Artsakh Also Contributes to the Preservation of the Armenian Community of Lebanon. President Harutyunyan Convoked a Consultation
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Internal investigation Will Reveal All Circumstances of Disappearance of the Armenian Officer - Defense Minister
Azerbaijani Side Launches New Fortification Works on the Border, Armenian Side Suspends such Activities
Wind: 4 km/h