Dimitry Safonov: It is not Religious Extremism, but Extremism under Religious Cover
Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Dimitry Safonov, head of the Sector for Interreligious Contacts of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations. The Interview was conducted during the "5th Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions" in Astana in the framework of "Armenia-Kazakhstan: Cooperation Platforms" project, with the support of Embassy of Kazakhstan in Armenia.
- What was the main message of the Fifth Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions?
- I was very pleased with what I heard at the opening of the Congress from the lips of many speakers. In addition to inter-religious dialogue, I am engaged in a very serious problem, the problem of the persecution of Christians, of which Christians are suffering in many countries. A very important issue that was announced here is the problem of religious extremism, or, to be more correct, the extremism under religious cover, because religion itself does not generate extremism. It is important to hear right from religious leaders, especially from Muslim ones, that religion does not call for violence, it calls for peace and good friendly relations, as in the very name of religion, under the guise of Islam's holy places, the extremists of the Islamic State and other terrorist groups are acting today, brutally destroying the Christian population of Syria and Iraq. The Genocide that was carried out 100 years ago towards Armenians, is now being carried out towards all the Christians of the Middle East, both Armenians and Assyrians and Catholics, Orthodox, Chaldean and many more. Thus there is a total destruction of Christianity under the guise of religion which is terrible! Not because they are of different nationality (as the history already knows what the interethnic massacres are), but precisely just because they are Christians.
This hatred for extremists exists not only towards Christians but towards all dissenters. Today it was said that there are certain political forces, even the states, which maybe not openly but anyway do support and finance this kind of extremist movements. But the international community should be united. It is very important that we managed to invite UN Secretary-General Pan Gi Moon to this fifth Congress. I am aware quite well that the UN has always been very careful towards religion. We even once offered to the United Nations to create a permanent body of religious leaders. This suggestion was not accepted as the organization stressed that it is a secular one, not related to religion. But today it became clear that without religion it is impossible to establish peace, and without religious leaders there cannot be a settlement even to political conflicts. But the fact that Kazakhstan managed to invite the Secretary-General of the UN and all these issues will, I hope, be included on the agenda of the United Nations, is really the most important achievement of this Congress.
- Tokayev Sworn in As Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev took the oath of office as Kazakhstan’s president at a ceremony in the Independence Palace in the capital Nur-Sultan on Wednesday.
- Kazakhstan to Hold Early Presidential Election on June 9 Interim president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, calls a snap election, citing the need to eliminate political uncertainty.
- Nazarbayev's Resignation to Improve Kazakhstan's Image: Marat Shibutov, Political Scientist (EXCLUSIVE) Kazakh political scientist Marat Shibutov, in an interview with "Armedia" IAA comments on Nursultan Nazarbayev’s resignation.
- More than 40 Countries Cooperate with Eurasian Economic Union 2017 was successful. Trade turnover between our countries grew 27%. We see great interest towards our union, today more than 40 countries are cooperating with us.
- Karen Karapetyan Receives Kazakhstan Ambassador The Premier highlighted the diversification of bilateral economic cooperation, stressing that the current level of bilateral trade turnover does not correspond to the existing potential.
New Cooperation Bridge to Open Between Armenian and Israeli IT Companies
Meghri Border Checkpoint to Be Upgraded
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Chief Military Inspector Was Dismissed Due to Structural Changes: Vladimir Karapetyan
WSO Secretary General: Armenia Is a Leader in Region on Standardization of Customs Data
Georgia Ministry of Internal Affairs Addresses Participants of Demonstration
Armen Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to the King of Morocco Mohammed VI
Chief Military Inspector and his Deputies Dismissed from Positions
Iran’s Rouhani: Iranians Entitled to Protest, Insecurity not Tolerated
Kim Jong Un Supervises Another N. Korean Military Drill
Hong Kong Court Rules Face Mask Ban Unconstitutional
Armenia State Revenue Committee, Iran And Georgia Customs Services Sign Document
About 1000 Protesters Detained in Iran
Opposition Wins No Seats in Belarus Election
US Backs 'Peaceful Protests' in Iran
Protesters Block Entrance to Iraq's Umm Qasr Port
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Tokyo 2020 Bouquets
Anti-Government Protest Took Place In Prague
Statement by MFA of Armenia Regarding the Statements by the President of Turkey on Armenian Genocide Made in the United States
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Erdogan Demands US Hand Over SDF Chief to Turkey
Lori is a Splendid Textbook for Learning About our Native Land, While Vanadzor is One of its Most Significant and Beautiful Pages. Armen Sarkissian
Turkish Foreign Minister Hold Talks with U.S.'s Pompeo: Sources
Wind: 4 km/h