Dimitry Safonov: It is not Religious Extremism, but Extremism under Religious Cover
Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Dimitry Safonov, head of the Sector for Interreligious Contacts of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations. The Interview was conducted during the "5th Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions" in Astana in the framework of "Armenia-Kazakhstan: Cooperation Platforms" project, with the support of Embassy of Kazakhstan in Armenia.
- What was the main message of the Fifth Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions?
- I was very pleased with what I heard at the opening of the Congress from the lips of many speakers. In addition to inter-religious dialogue, I am engaged in a very serious problem, the problem of the persecution of Christians, of which Christians are suffering in many countries. A very important issue that was announced here is the problem of religious extremism, or, to be more correct, the extremism under religious cover, because religion itself does not generate extremism. It is important to hear right from religious leaders, especially from Muslim ones, that religion does not call for violence, it calls for peace and good friendly relations, as in the very name of religion, under the guise of Islam's holy places, the extremists of the Islamic State and other terrorist groups are acting today, brutally destroying the Christian population of Syria and Iraq. The Genocide that was carried out 100 years ago towards Armenians, is now being carried out towards all the Christians of the Middle East, both Armenians and Assyrians and Catholics, Orthodox, Chaldean and many more. Thus there is a total destruction of Christianity under the guise of religion which is terrible! Not because they are of different nationality (as the history already knows what the interethnic massacres are), but precisely just because they are Christians.
This hatred for extremists exists not only towards Christians but towards all dissenters. Today it was said that there are certain political forces, even the states, which maybe not openly but anyway do support and finance this kind of extremist movements. But the international community should be united. It is very important that we managed to invite UN Secretary-General Pan Gi Moon to this fifth Congress. I am aware quite well that the UN has always been very careful towards religion. We even once offered to the United Nations to create a permanent body of religious leaders. This suggestion was not accepted as the organization stressed that it is a secular one, not related to religion. But today it became clear that without religion it is impossible to establish peace, and without religious leaders there cannot be a settlement even to political conflicts. But the fact that Kazakhstan managed to invite the Secretary-General of the UN and all these issues will, I hope, be included on the agenda of the United Nations, is really the most important achievement of this Congress.
- Tokayev Sworn in As Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev took the oath of office as Kazakhstan’s president at a ceremony in the Independence Palace in the capital Nur-Sultan on Wednesday.
- Kazakhstan to Hold Early Presidential Election on June 9 Interim president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, calls a snap election, citing the need to eliminate political uncertainty.
- Nazarbayev's Resignation to Improve Kazakhstan's Image: Marat Shibutov, Political Scientist (EXCLUSIVE) Kazakh political scientist Marat Shibutov, in an interview with "Armedia" IAA comments on Nursultan Nazarbayev’s resignation.
- More than 40 Countries Cooperate with Eurasian Economic Union 2017 was successful. Trade turnover between our countries grew 27%. We see great interest towards our union, today more than 40 countries are cooperating with us.
- Karen Karapetyan Receives Kazakhstan Ambassador The Premier highlighted the diversification of bilateral economic cooperation, stressing that the current level of bilateral trade turnover does not correspond to the existing potential.
Iran Confirmed 13 More New Coronavirus Cases
Iran's President Casts His Vote in Legislative Elections
Miroslav Lajcak Pay An Official Visit To Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Sent a Letter of Condolences on the Demise of the Renowned Conductor Yuri Davtian
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Leaders of EU Members Call for Ceasing Hostilities in Syria's Idlib
Iran Parliamentary Election Kicks Off
Igor Grigoryan Conferred the Rank of the Third Degree Justice State Adviser
President of Artsakh Receives Ombudsman of Armenia
Iraq Closes Southern Border with Iran to Travelers
Discussion with Azerbaijan’s Aliyev in Munich is Turning Point: Nikol Pashinyan
Criminal Sub-Culture Must be Eradicated in the Army: Armenia’s PM
Kardashian Family Had Dinner at Armenian Carousel Restaurant
Armenia is World’s Third Most Militarized County, Report Shows
Robert Kocharyan Congratulates on Artsakh Revival Day
PM Pashinyan Offers Condolences on Passing of Yervand Manaryan
Artsakh MFA Issues Statement on Revival Day
Weather Forecast in Armenia: The Air Temperature will Gradually Go Up
Trump Named Richard Grenell to Be the Next Acting Director of US National Intelligence
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
FIDE Bans Organizer of Turkish Tournament who Asked Armenian Delegate to Cancel Participation: Maria Gevorgyan
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
Wind: 4 km/h