Armenia Stays Loyal to Its Two-Vector Integration Policy
After the Velvet Revolution in Armenia, one of the most important issues worrying the international community, Armenian citizens and expert circles was the possible changes in Armenia's foreign policy. Moreover, the issue of integration policy vectors was urgent. Recent trends in post-Soviet countries have shown a sharp deviation from geopolitical vectors to the West. But the revolution in Armenia was quite unique in that sense. It did not have any foreign policy agenda, geopolitical context and was not aimed at distracting Armenia from one side or another. And that tendency also continued after the end of the revolution and after Nikol Pashinyan's assuming the post of Prime Minister.
Reactions to Nikol Pashinyan's election as prime minister also testified the consistent work that had been carried out with both Russia and the West. On the same day, on May 8, Russian President Vladimir Putin was the first to congratulate Pashinyan, and shortly after, congratulatory messages came from the EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, as well as from the representatives of the US Department of State.
All the superpowers expressed hope that Armenia will continue to develop and deepen cooperation with them. Besides, Pashinyan had a number of meetings with different ambassadors and on May 14 the Prime Minister visited Sochi and had a private talk with Vladimir Putin.
After being elected as Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, Pashinyan has spoken many times about the active participation of the RA in the framework of the new EU agreement with the EU and the bilateral cooperation with the EU member states, and at the same time the active participation of the Republic of Armenia under the CSTO and its strategic allied relations with Russia.
The internal political developments in Armenia also have additional potential for creating new opportunities for Armenia in these two directions and raising the efficiency of Armenia's participation in the existing formats. But there is a need of certain time and strategy to accomplish that.
As for the need to balance the vectors of European integration and the Eurasian integration, it is not just a matter of taste and preferences, but a necessity that directly affects the country's development and security, dictated by geopolitical realities. Former Armenian authorities have succeeded in making complicated and consistent efforts in this context, and the task of the new authorities is not to break the existing balances but rather to develop the relations in both directions.
- Romania Completes Ratification of Armenia-EU CEPA The Romanian Senate ratified the deal unanimously with 96 votes in favor and 0 against.
- What Does Armenian Prime Minister Expect from EU? It is quite natural that the rapid pace and success of democratic processes in Armenia are awarded a positive assessment from the EU, and this assessment must be materialized. Let's try to clarify what...
- Nikol Pashinyan and Piotr Switalski Discuss Armenia-EU Relations In particular, the PM said the recent events in Armenia significantly contributed to the development and strengthening of democracy.
- Rapid Implementation of Armenia-EU Agreement Can Open Wide Opporunities It is noteworthy that even partial, but quick implementation of the agreement will give an additional impetus to the reforms being implemented in Armenia with the EU support, as well as will deepen Armenia-EU...
- Armenia-EU Agreement Is a Unique Development Plan: Foreign Minister Since ancient times, Armenia has been a part of European civilization and tried to make its modest, but visible contribution to the latter's development.
- Wine Can Become a National Armenian Brand for Export It is known that the main Armenian products that enter the Eurasian markets are high-quality Armenian cognac, which is a national brand and is exported mainly to Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, but in...
- EAEU and Iran May Sign a Free-Trade Agreement in 2018 "Negotiations with the EAEU are proceeding well. Iranian Ministry of Industry and Trade is negotiating, they are satisfied. I very much hope that we will see the signing of this agreement in 2018," he...
- Armenia Shows the Best Results in the EAEU: the Eurasian Expert Club Sums up the Results of the Year During the annual conference certificates were presented to five new members of the Eurasian Expert Club, as well as gratitude certificates to the representatives of ten Armenian media for objective coverage...
- Armenia's Integration Processes in 2017 This year, by signing the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement with the EU, Armenia has finally implemented its "both and" policy.
- Lukashenko Signed the Law on the Customs Code of the Eurasian Economic Union Earlier, on October 25, the document was adopted by the House of Representatives of the National Assembly of Belarus and on October 27 it was approved by the Council of the Republic of the National Assembly.
President Sarkissian Accepts Cabinet’s Resignation
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan: “Armenia is Entering a Historic Stage of Development”
Armenian Akhtala to be Renamed After Charles Aznavour?
Saudi Missing Journalist Jamal Khashoggi: Explanation Expected from Saudi Arabia as Mike Pompeo Arrives
ARF won’t Nominate Candidate for Prime Minister
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Board Members of the International Francophone Press
Donald Trump has talked with King of Saudi Arabia
Turkey to Inspect Saudi Consulate over Journalist’s Disappearance
Kadyrov Invited Pashinyan and Macron to Participate in a Dance Festival in Chechnya
UK PM Launches First Strategy to Combat Loneliness
Russian Border Guards in Armenia Apprehend Trespasser
Armenia 2nd President: PM has Personal Hatred Towards Me
Istanbul Municipality Renames One of Streets of Şişli District After Hrant Dink
PM Receives U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
The Refusal from US State Bonds by the Investing Countries Can Have Crisis-Leading Consequences
Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Are Expecting A Baby
Water Poisoning Cases in Basra Rises to 111.000
1 Dead, 1 Injured as Gunman Opens Fire in Glendale Armenian Restaurant
The Armenian delegation to PACE managed to prevent amendments to one of the resolutions proposed by Azerbaijani delegation. Arpine Hovhannisyan
President Participated at the Produce Festive Fair in Stepanakert (photos)
Brigitte Macron: We Feel So Good in Armenia that We Don't Want to Leave
Macron: April 24 to be Remembered in France as the Day of Remembrance of the Armenian Genocide
In Honor of Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, RA Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Gave Official Dinner (photos)
It Is Suggested in Armenia to Rename one of the International Airports in Honor of the Great Chansonnier Charles Aznavour
German Publicist about Erdogan's Visit: You Mean the Carpet, which Is Painted with the Blood of Armenians?
Aliyev Criticized International Observers' Assessment on the Yerevan Council of Elderly Elections before the Election Results Were Published
CSTO Chief of Joint Staff not Authorized to Comment on Matter Regarding Secretary General Yuri Khachaturov
Justin Trudeau: Many Years ago I Had the Opportunity to Visit Armenia with my Father during Summer Holidays
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Artsakh Hovsepyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Aghasi Mkrtchyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Wind: 17.70 km/h