Armenia Stays Loyal to Its Two-Vector Integration Policy
After the Velvet Revolution in Armenia, one of the most important issues worrying the international community, Armenian citizens and expert circles was the possible changes in Armenia's foreign policy. Moreover, the issue of integration policy vectors was urgent. Recent trends in post-Soviet countries have shown a sharp deviation from geopolitical vectors to the West. But the revolution in Armenia was quite unique in that sense. It did not have any foreign policy agenda, geopolitical context and was not aimed at distracting Armenia from one side or another. And that tendency also continued after the end of the revolution and after Nikol Pashinyan's assuming the post of Prime Minister.
Reactions to Nikol Pashinyan's election as prime minister also testified the consistent work that had been carried out with both Russia and the West. On the same day, on May 8, Russian President Vladimir Putin was the first to congratulate Pashinyan, and shortly after, congratulatory messages came from the EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, as well as from the representatives of the US Department of State.
All the superpowers expressed hope that Armenia will continue to develop and deepen cooperation with them. Besides, Pashinyan had a number of meetings with different ambassadors and on May 14 the Prime Minister visited Sochi and had a private talk with Vladimir Putin.
After being elected as Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, Pashinyan has spoken many times about the active participation of the RA in the framework of the new EU agreement with the EU and the bilateral cooperation with the EU member states, and at the same time the active participation of the Republic of Armenia under the CSTO and its strategic allied relations with Russia.
The internal political developments in Armenia also have additional potential for creating new opportunities for Armenia in these two directions and raising the efficiency of Armenia's participation in the existing formats. But there is a need of certain time and strategy to accomplish that.
As for the need to balance the vectors of European integration and the Eurasian integration, it is not just a matter of taste and preferences, but a necessity that directly affects the country's development and security, dictated by geopolitical realities. Former Armenian authorities have succeeded in making complicated and consistent efforts in this context, and the task of the new authorities is not to break the existing balances but rather to develop the relations in both directions.
- Austria Completes Internal Procedures Necessary for Ratification of Armenia-EU CEPA Austria notified on July 22 the General Secretariat of the European Council and the Council of the EU about the completion of its internal procedures necessary for the ratification of the Armenia-EU Comprehensive...
- EU Summit: Leaders Meet for Fourth Day after all-Night Talks Yield no Agreement Eastern Europe leaders have opposed attaching rule of law conditions, while southern European countries are rejecting demands from the so-called frugal four, now five, countries - Netherlands, Austria,...
- French President Emmanuel Macron Offers his Support to Prime Minister Pashinyan President of France Emmanuel Macron has sent a letter of support to Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.
- Presidents of European Council and European Commission Address Joint Letter to Armenia’s PM President of the European Council Charles Michel and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen addressed a joint letter to Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Spoke To UK’s Minister for European Neighborhood And The Americas On June 1, at the initiative of the UK side, Foreign Minister of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and Wendy Morton, United Kingdom’s Minister for European Neighborhood and the Americas held a video call,...
- Armenia Ratifying EEU Agreement on Exchange of Confidential Financial Information According to him, the purpose of this agreement is to coordinate and expand the exchange of information between the financial market regulators of the EEU member countries.
- Armenian PM: Eurasian Union PMs' Meeting Will be Hosted by Yerevan in October I am glad that we have already decided in this regard. So I am waiting for all of you in Yerevan in October.
- Armenia Eliminates Obstacle for Participation of EEU States' Businesses in Public Procurement All member states of the Eurasian Economic Union have acknowledged the elimination of the obstacle by Armenia. As Minister of Internal Markets, Informatization, Information and Telecommunication Technologies...
- The Import Duty Relief for Certain Agricultural and Medical products will not Apply Starting July 1 At the same time, the committee announces that the import duty relief for medical products specified in decisions of EEC No 21 of 16.03.2020 and No 34 of 03.04.2020 will be effective till September 30,...
- Parliament Ratifies EEU Customs Privileges Extension The privileged customs duties for around 1000 types of products was active since 2015 with a term of 5 years. The ratification extended the term for another year.
Merkel Calls for Immediate Ceasefire in Azeri-Armenian Conflict
Artsakh Defense Army Destroys 11 Azerbaijan’s UAVs, Armored Vehicle, 5 Tanks and Big Number of Manpower (video)
Robert Kocharyan Leaves for Artsakh
MFA: Armenia And Artsakh Will Give Adequate Military-Political Response To Azerbaijan’s Consistent Attempts To Undermine Regional Security And Peace
Russia Actively Working not to Allow Destabilizing External Influence in Nagorno Karabakh Conflict Zone: Ambassador
Two Enemy Helicopters Destroyed By Igla MANPADS
Azerbaijan Shells Villages in Armenia’s Vardenis: Artrsun Hovhannisyan
Turkey Deploying Syrian Fighters to Help Ally Azerbaijan, two Fighters Say
Artsakh Denies Azeri Report on Losing Base in Martuni
Armenian Armed Forces Down Azerbaijan’s helicopter, Probably Helicopters: MOD Representative
Armenia Records 49901 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
MFA: Azerbaijani Disinformation Aims At Preparing A Ground For The Expansion Of The Geography Of Military Operations
Canada and UK Concerned Over Large-Scale Military Actions in NK Conflict Zone
Ministry of Defense of Armenia Published a Video Of Destruction of Azerbaijani Outposts and Armored Vehicles
Fights of various intensity continue in the Artsakh-Azerbaijan line of contact: Shushan Stepanyan
Prime Minister Pashinyan Holds Phone Conversation with Antonio Guterres
Turks and Azerbaijanis Target Armenian Social Media Users
Nikol Pashinyan Calls on Angela Merkel to Make Every Effort to Curb Turkey’s Destructive Stance
Security Council Holds Extraordinary Meeting, Chaired by PM Nikol Pashinyan
Artsakh Downs Hostile Airplane
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Ancient Armenian Fortress Surfaces from under Lake Van
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
ICRC Representatives Visited Armenian Captives In Azerbaijan
Azerbaijani Side Launches New Fortification Works on the Border, Armenian Side Suspends such Activities
Armenia, Artsakh ex-President Kocharyan: Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Has Never Been Part of Independent Azerbaijan
Armenia Records 47877 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Nikol Pashinyan On UN 75th Anniversary: "Rejection of the right to self-determination could only lead to oppression and further violence"
OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs Invited the Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan to Meet Individually
Wind: 8 km/h