The Deep Chill in U.S.-Russian Relations is Stirring Concern
American and European analysts and current and former U.S. military officers say the nuclear superpowers need to talk more. A foundational arms control agreement is being abandoned and the last major limitation on strategic nuclear weapons could go away in less than two years. Unlike during the Cold War, when generations lived under threat of a nuclear Armageddon, the two militaries are barely on speaking terms, Apnews reports.
Relations frayed even further amid U.S. allegations that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, although President Donald Trump has doubted Russian complicity in what U.S. intelligence agencies assert was an effort by Moscow to boost Trump’s chances of winning the White House. After a Helsinki summit with Putin in July, Trump publicly accepted the Kremlin leader’s denial of interference.
A group of U.S., Canadian, European and Russian security experts and former officials in February issued a call for talks with Russia on crisis management.
“The risks of mutual misunderstanding and unintended signals that stem from an absence of dialogue relating to crisis management ... are real,” the Euro-Atlantic Security Leadership Group said in a statement.
It said this could lead to conventional war with Russia or, in a worst case scenario, “the potential for nuclear threats, or even nuclear use, where millions could be killed in minutes.”
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Statement on Protests in Moscow I call on the Russian authorities to release political prisoners.
- Trump Says He will Meet Russia’s Putin at G-20 Summit Next Week In an interview on Fox News, Trump said he would hold meetings with Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump confirmed earlier this week he would be meeting with Xi.
- Erdogan: Russian S-400S Delivery May Be Brought Forward President Tayyip Erdogan said the delivery of Russian S-400 missile defence systems may be brought forward from July, the Sabah newspaper reported on Wednesday, sticking to a purchase which has put Turkey...
- "Following Muller Report, US to Allegedly Fix Ties With Russia," Suren Sargsyan (EXCLUSIVE) Muller probe findings regarding Russian trace in 2016 US presidential elections have been released: no evidence of Russian engagement. ”Armedia” IAA talked to Suren Sargsyan, expert of international...
- Serbia Arrests Man Plotting to Assassinate Putin Serbian authorities have reportedly arrested a man suspected of planning to assassinate Russian President Vladimir Putin during his visit to the country later this week
- Trump Considers double-Tapping Pompeo for National Security Adviser That would make Pompeo the second person in history to have both jobs at the same time. The first, Henry Kissinger, was already President Richard Nixon's national security adviser when he was appointed...
- Trump: Bolton Made ‘Some Very Big Mistakes’ In explaining Bolton’s departure, Trump suggested that North Korea was a large reason for his decision to fire Bolton. “He wanted nothing to do with John Bolton,” Trump said of Kim, whom the president...
- Trump Says US-Taliban Peace Talks are 'Dead' The US president has made withdrawing US troops from Afghanistan a key foreign policy aim, but asked about the 14,000 US troops still there he said: "We'd like to get out but we'll get out at the right...
- Trump Drains US Spending in Europe to Pay for Wall with Mexico Half of the $3.6 billion for the border wall would come from dozens of U.S. military construction projects, and the other half would come from projects in Europe and the Pacific.
- China Denies U.S. Warship Port Visit Amid Economic Tensions Between the Two Countries US military warships have occasionally made visits to China, most recently in 2017, the defence official said. The last US Navy ship to visit Qingdao was the destroyer Benfold in 2016.
Relatives of Four-Day Artsakh War Heroes to Be Baptized at Armenian Church in Shushi
Armen Sarkissian Send Condolence Telegram on Death of His Holiness Aram I's Mother
Houthi Group Attacked Saudi Arabia’s Oil Facilities
Trump Announced That bin Laden's Son Was Killed
Tunisia Holds Presidential Elections
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President of Artsakh Receives Delegation of the Yerevan State Medical University
Arms Sale by Some CSTO Members to Azerbaijan Discredits Organization: Armenian MFA
Vanadzor-Alaverdi-Bagratashen Highway is Closed for Truck Traffic
Eve of the Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Artsakh Republic President Met with a Group of Participants of ''The Past, Present and Future of the Armenian Statehood'' International Conference
World Championship: Greco-Roman Wrestlers Leave for Kazakhstan
President of Artsakh Convenes Working Consultation
Alex Chung to Join Kim Kardashian West on a Panel at WCIT 2019 in Yerevan
Armenia’s MFA Responds to Russia’s Statement about Granting Status of Observer to Azerbaijan in CSTO
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenia's Defense Ministry Plans to Establish a New Agency
The Proposal for Organizing a Meeting Between Armenian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers Was Voiced by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group
Trump Says Iranian Leadership ‘Wants to Meet’
Famous Russian Singer Lyubov Uspenskaya Performed an Armenian Song in Azerbaijan (VIDEO)
The Government Dismisses the Mayors, then Beats the Deputies Elected by the People: Garo Paylan
Models and Celebrities Love Kim Kardashian's Vogue Arabia Cover
Mikael Minasyan: Serzh Sargsyan Will Be Arrested to Sidetrack Armenia Public From Real Issues for a While More (NEWS.am)
Government Sets up Terms and Conditions for Affordable Long-Term Mortgage Lending for Contract Servicemen
Commemoration of Sts. John the Baptist and Job the Righteous
Mine Exploitation Means 10-25 Blasts a Day, with Each Blast Raising 25 Tons of Dust: Ex-Governor of Vayots Dzor
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Not Rejection But Eexpression of Ssovereignty: Armenia’s FM on PM’s Decision Not to Participate in Economic Forum in Poland
"Our Task is to Get the Best Possible Result for Each Dram Invested and Spent in Every Area" - PM Attends My Step for Kotayk Marz Investment Forum
Wind: 6 km/h