The Deep Chill in U.S.-Russian Relations is Stirring Concern
American and European analysts and current and former U.S. military officers say the nuclear superpowers need to talk more. A foundational arms control agreement is being abandoned and the last major limitation on strategic nuclear weapons could go away in less than two years. Unlike during the Cold War, when generations lived under threat of a nuclear Armageddon, the two militaries are barely on speaking terms, Apnews reports.
Relations frayed even further amid U.S. allegations that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, although President Donald Trump has doubted Russian complicity in what U.S. intelligence agencies assert was an effort by Moscow to boost Trump’s chances of winning the White House. After a Helsinki summit with Putin in July, Trump publicly accepted the Kremlin leader’s denial of interference.
A group of U.S., Canadian, European and Russian security experts and former officials in February issued a call for talks with Russia on crisis management.
“The risks of mutual misunderstanding and unintended signals that stem from an absence of dialogue relating to crisis management ... are real,” the Euro-Atlantic Security Leadership Group said in a statement.
It said this could lead to conventional war with Russia or, in a worst case scenario, “the potential for nuclear threats, or even nuclear use, where millions could be killed in minutes.”
- Russian Parliament Backs Changes In Constitution Constitutional changes allowing Vladimir Putin to run for president again in 2024 sailed through Russia’s lower house of parliament on Wednesday, opening the way for him to potentially stay in power...
- Russian Government Resigns President Vladimir Putin thanked Dmitry Medvedev’s government for its work.
- Former Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov Dies Yury Luzhkov, the former mayor of Moscow, has died Tuesday at age 83, a source close to him told Interfax.
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Statement on Protests in Moscow I call on the Russian authorities to release political prisoners.
- Trump Says He will Meet Russia’s Putin at G-20 Summit Next Week In an interview on Fox News, Trump said he would hold meetings with Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump confirmed earlier this week he would be meeting with Xi.
- WSJ: Trump’s Popularity Ticks Up During Coronavirus Crisis Approval of Mr. Trump’s handling of the outbreak has risen by 8 percentage points in weekly Economist/YouGov surveys over the course of March, standing at 49% in a poll that ended Tuesday, with 44% disapproving.
- Trump Cancels G7 at Camp David over Coronavirus The G7 is made up of the United States, Italy, Japan, Canada, France, Germany, Britain as well as the European Union.
- U.S. Suspending Visa Services Worldwide due to Coronavirus The State Department spokeswoman said U.S. missions abroad will continue to provide emergency visa services “as resources allow,” and that the services to U.S. citizens will remain available.
- Trump Says He Might Keep Others from Listening in on Calls Robert O’Brien, Trump’s national security adviser, said the president can conduct whatever phone calls he wants without other people being on the line.
- The White House Reacted To The Resolution, Limiting President Trump’s War Fighting Abilities In Iran The White House slammed a House resolution passed Thursday that would limit President Trump’s war fighting abilities in Iran, calling it a "misguided" measure that would undermine presidential authority,...
Armenian Church Celebrates Palm Sunday
Nikol Pashinyan Will Answer People’s Questions Live On April 6
ANCA Calls On US To Reprogram $25mln In Armenia Aid ToFight COVID-19
The National Presented The Reflections Of Armen Sarkissian
We’re Analyzing Armenian National Team Matches Thoroughly: Joaquin Caparros
Russia MFA Comments Estonian "Data" On Moscow And Yerevan Relations
Vanadzor Mayor: There Are coronavirus Cases In Vanadzor
Embassy Of Armenia In Ukraine Worka On Organizing A Charter Flight Kiev - Yerevan
Steps to Boost Agricultural Production Discussed in Government
Armenia Records 770 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Commemoration of Raising of Lazarus
Kim Kardashian Shares App Results that Shows Her Nationality
Russia's Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin Dances to Armenian Song (VIDEO)
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Azerbaijani Disinformation
Reuters: Elizabeth II To Address The Nation Over Coronavirus
Peru Limits Movement by Gender to Stem Coronavirus Spread: BBC
Azerbaijan Tries To Cover Up Its Own Actions By Spreading Desinformation
Criminal Cases Initiated On Incidents During Artsakh Elections
Works are Being Carried out at Bagratashen Checkpoint to Reduce Pile-ups on the Territories of Noth Armenia and Georgia
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 5 km/h